Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Drain Kit ineffective

So whats the next step? I used the engine oil drain hose, routed it out the back and was only able to get about 1 or 2 quarts out. Last year I did it I was able to drain all 5.5 (or close enough). Is there anything I could do besides buy a pump and pump it out the dipstick?

I ran into this on a friends I/O a few years back. We removed the dip stick and very gently (underline gently) used the air compressor to blow a little air into the drain tube. Be careful, too much air too fast could make one hell of a mess.

Engine warm, level ground, drain tube routed through the center (engin bay) drain hole (direct drive), and drain over night. I have never needed a pump. Not sure why it would only drain a little. :crazy:

So whats the next step? I used the engine oil drain hose, routed it out the back and was only able to get about 1 or 2 quarts out. Last year I did it I was able to drain all 5.5 (or close enough). Is there anything I could do besides buy a pump and pump it out the dipstick?

Had the same issue. Turned out there was a small kink in the hose.

Had the same issue. Turned out there was a small kink in the hose.

Well I checked the hose, etc. etc. Broke down and bought the Mightyvac Fluid Evacuator (Figure I'll need it for the trans fluids anyways). Used it. So far was only able to pull (3.15qts) out. Dip stick registers bone dry. I still haven't changed the oil filter which is probably good for another .5. So wheres the rest? If the boats a little off level will that be able to hide 2 quarts worth (supposed to be 5.5 total)? Its close to level but the only other option at this point would be it was 2 qts low but I feel like I would have definitely noticed that when I was running it.

Also I'm kind of stuck getting the oil out with the engine cold now too which sucks because I heated it up for my first attempt at the drain with the kit and can't exactly warm it up now with only 2 (theoretical) quarts in it.

Any ideas?

I would close it up and see how much you have to add for a full on the dipstick. That will tell you if you had it all out (and it was low), or if you didn't get it all out.

If you didn't have it all out, then I would drain it again.

You might "waste" some oil, but way better than underfilling or overfilling.

I would close it up and see how much you have to add for a full on the dipstick. That will tell you if you had it all out (and it was low), or if you didn't get it all out.

If you didn't have it all out, then I would drain it again.

You might "waste" some oil, but way better than underfilling or overfilling.

You will also be able to warm everything up again as well before redraining. If you still have two qts in the system you will only waist three qts not really that bad. If it takes the full 5.5 to refill you know you were low and to watch it more this summer, if you have the HH engine it is rumored to use oil :whistle: