Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tracking fin broken threads

So I'll try to make this brief. Just got my boat out of storage bought it in Sept. first Malibu, 2002 Wakesetter direct drive. I didn't notice this when I test drove it but the front hull tracking fin was loose when I investigated today I found that the bolts coming through the hull were completely loose it was like they were screwed into butter. I took the fin off to find that the gel coat and fiber glass under the fin is completely cracked (thanks guy who sold this to me). I'm sure they hit something being that it is the front tracking fin and there are some dents in it.

Is this a simple fix for a fiber glass guy? Is this a big deal? Can I get away long term with Marine sealant and a nut and washer on the other end? Thanks

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h383/jmarksteckel/?action=view&current=2011-04-14_22-32-31_825.jpg&newest=1

Edited by ChainSetter

Same thing happen to my old 02' WS hit submerged log. Removed the gas tank took to best glass guy around here. I turned it in on Ins. I think total biill was about $1000 but I had to buy new fin log broke it completely off.

You guys have two different boats, so be careful about comparisons. The direct drive tracking fins are fastened by tapping threads into the hull, where the V-drive tracking fins are through-bolted. (hence needing to remove the fuel tank on the V-drive)

Chainsetter, the best course of action would be to have the holes re-glassed, and then tap new holes for the tracking fin.

Peter

Thats exacty how mine is. No gas tank removal required. You can get at it right through the ski locker.Thanks for the response guys. Do you think I would be roughly the same $1000? Does this permanently weaken my hull? Is reglassing the screw holes a big process? Do you think I can get Away with sealent and nuts on the other side to hold the fin tight for the season?