Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats the name of this part?

wakeboarder3780

So on v-drives the big sundeck compartments that open up on each side, there is this little resistance piston that keeps the door open once you raise it. By buddy bent it into a U shape. Now I need a replacement. Anyone know if it has a specific name? I'll be trolling bakes hoping i stumble upon it in the meantime.

Dood...

Measure it up and reply or pm me. I may have some laying around you can stop in and grab. Measure the good one ball to ball open and closed and see if there is a lb. rating on it.

If it's what Pete posted, I'll have to check the big blue tool box at home and see if I have some there.

Edited by jk13

You can find a lot of these at your neighborhood auto parts store too. Not sure if their "marine" rated or not. But I have one under my spotters seat that is doin great.

Don't forget the long discussion we had a long time ago about which end of the piston should point up?

The skinny shaft end or, the fat end?

Who remembers?

10 Pistol Pete dollars for correct answer and explanation why.

Don't forget the long discussion we had a long time ago about which end of the piston should point up?

The skinny shaft end or, the fat end?

Who remembers?

10 Pistol Pete dollars for correct answer and explanation why.

Oh hell, I'll bite. I wasn't around for the lesson, but I'm getting ready for one.

My questimate: the big end up. :dontknow:

Awesome thanks for all the help guys!

jk13,

it's 1' 5 3/4'' up, 1' 1'' down

Pete would I by chance want to go with this one instead if I end up buying since I have a 3 piece hatch system?

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1393

Also - I cheated and know the answer to Pete's question now :) I can confirm Hammerhead is right, big end up, rod end down.

I've got:

18.5" 40lb. which may not be strong enough.

20" 80lb. or 100lb. which may open the hatch a little farther than before if there is no other hatch stop.

I'll be at my shop until 6pm today, otherwise call me and I can take them home with me and we can meet up this weekend to try them out. We will have guests this weekend, but I'd still love to see that new boat.

I bet that 40 lber would be all I would need. I think the actual replacement I have calls for 30lb to be honest and it sounds like it's the right length. I'll give ya a call after work in case you don't see this post. I can definitely show you the new boat ;) She's not exactly show room condition yet, but we're getting there.

These struts are a common automotive part found at any (good) (Napa) store.

You don't necessarily need the "Bakes" strut.

H-time did answer correctly with fat end up but, didn't say why so?

Thanks to john for stopping by with 2 brand new struts for me ;) Gonna have to make sure he gets out on my boat this summer so I can give him some pulls.

H-time did answer correctly with fat end up but, didn't say why so?

Because the print on the piston says so? Just kidding, but thought I'd give a smart *ss remark. What is the reason Pete?

Because the print on the piston says so? Just kidding, but thought I'd give a smart *ss remark. What is the reason Pete?

It's gotta be cuz otherwise dirt/water will fall onto the seal and trash it. If the seal is pointing down, stuff can't fall on it or get in it. Final answer.

What's the conversion rate for PP dollars to USd?

Thanks to john for stopping by with 2 brand new struts for me ;) Gonna have to make sure he gets out on my boat this summer so I can give him some pulls.

No problem man, that's what we do. Looking forward to riding that big boat at least once! Still can't believe you already rode the local muddy waters with all that crap (and ice) floating around out there.

It's to keep the seal wet in the oil bath. When it's rod side up, the oil is in the end of the tube, not by the seal. I think in the other thread I mentioned to keep it rod side down, but my reasoning was wrong.

Correct,

Fat, piston side up to keep the seal lubed with the oil inside.

PP dollars to USD is 1:.000000000001

Oh. Instead can I have total conciousness on my death bed? You know, for the effort?