Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

dehumidifier - fighting mold

ilovetrains

Every year I struggle with mold building up in the Bu as it sits during the week. Typically it gets used on the weekend only. When I get a nightly run in after work, it is usually on a buddies boat. Add to that the fact that certain areas of the bat are never dry when it is put up (no way to truly carpet when the relative humidity is 90% anyway) and by the end of the summer my boat has a certain funk to it.

Thinking about a dehumidifier. The boat sits covered, under a covered dock, on a lift. I have 110 power, so that is not a concern.

Was looking at this:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=71503&pdesc=Dry_Wave_Air_Dryer&str=dehumidifier&merchID=4005#details_box_holder

and wondering how effective it might be. Especially vs a plug in unit that could simply drain out the bilge. Something like this:http://www.amazon.com/Bionaire-BDQ01-UC-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B002BWSKTS/ref=pd_sbs_hg_4

What do you guys think?

I have not seen any where someone ran an actual dehumidifier...just an air warmer or used the pellet stuff (which I tried last year, and replacing the pellets every week looked to be not just a PITA but expensive.)

You can run an actual dehumidifier in the boat, but you will need AC to do it. And you will need make sure you have one with a catch basin big enough that it doesn't overflow...... or actually drain it every day or two. I've only known one person who ever did this. And it was only while the boat was sitting in his driveway on the trailer.

I lived in Seattle & had boats there for years. We used the Dry-z-air devices almost exclusively. We usually only had to replace the pellets like once a week or so.

I have AC at the boat (will have a battery tender plugged in as well.)

The dri pellet thing did not last very well last year. Imagine a wet boat and 90% relative humidity at 90%. The pellets were gel after a few days.

Imagine a wet boat and 90% relative humidity at 90%.

Not familiar with Seattle, huh. ;)

This was the Dry-z-air devices?

Like I said, I've only seen one guy ever do it. So take every precaution if you do use the dehumidier, eg; plugged in to a GFI, drain it often, etc.

I'd put a box fan in under the cover.

There are lots of threads with the word "dehumidifier" in the title, do a search.

Here's a good thread.

:plus1: One of the last true great deals left in the world. The $12 box fan. Efficient it will be. (Still stuck in Yoda talk from the ice off thread).

Edited by eyepeeler

I have not seen any where someone ran an actual dehumidifier...just an air warmer or used the pellet stuff (which I tried last year, and replacing the pellets every week looked to be not just a PITA but expensive.)

If you're talking about running an actual, full size, home dehumidifier then, I'm sorry I misunderstood.

But, if you're talking about possibly lugging something that big in and out of your boat every time you use it and, you think the pellet buckets are a pain, then I don't get you. :unsure:

meant to stop by Wally World and look at single room de-humidifiers but was unable to do so between un-scheduled replacement of the clothes washer and kitchen sink. Not my weekend.

Anyway - yeah that is what I was figuring. I have seen some units that fairly small, designed for a bathroom etc, about the size of a costco size box of cereal, probably less than 10 lbs, can sit on dock when we are out and then just lift it in over the bilge and plug it in. Going to be plugging the pro mariner anyway, so the cord will be in the boat.

I don't understand the box fan - in a boat with full mooring cover, how does it actually help? if no outside air is circulating (considering the mooring cover covers the air inlet and exhaust sections, and the factory cover has no vents) how does this reduce humidity, especially in the more confined spaces? I am assuming I need to actually remove moisture...right?

What is your factory cover made of? Most of them are some form of Sunbrella or canvas of some kind & breathable, which means that plenty of fresh air is getting in to the boat. But I've see some made of Sharkskin or vinyl that don't breath & will promote mold & mildew growth under the cover.

06 LSV - assuming it is sunbrella, clearly not vinyl. It has actually held up very well, though it started black and is now sort of dark grey, despite being in a covered dock.

06 LSV - assuming it is sunbrella, clearly not vinyl. It has actually held up very well, though it started black and is now sort of dark grey, despite being in a covered dock.

If it faded that bad, it's not Sunbrella. Is it a snap on cover? Or pulls down over the gunnels?

And no vents? It has to be the CS cover. Not sure what their made of but typically they breathe like crazy, inside & out.

I had a stock MC cover for years. Used to waterproof it with Aquatite. And parked the boat outside with a West Marine fan in it. Only mold I'd get was if I left any of the seats closed. Open it all up & it never had a problem, even in the rainy season.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Trains.

With the box fan under the cover, it is moving a whole lot of air all around the boat. That air is gonna vent through the cover to some degree. The main thing is that you have air moving in the boat, this alone will help dry out the boat. Try it for a week and see what you think.