Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED Lights

tbonemalibu

Yeah, that is my blue boat.  There are 6 lite strips under the gunnels, 4 lite pods on both sides under the seat, and in the back under the seat, a 12 lite strip under the dash, 2 more 6 lite strips under the gunnels in the bow, and another 4 lite pod in the walkway.  I wired it to an accessory switch, it was really easy.  They draw milliamps, so the battery is no concern.  I just got a pair of Addictions, and I am having a strip made that will go behind the flame grilles, giving the speakers a really cool glow.

By the way, I got my lites from Neil.  He has been sick, which is why he is kinda hard to get ahold of.

When are you going to put some pods under your swim deck? That would be cool for some skinny dipping. Innocent.gif

I would hate to see a topic on Neil like the 4x4 ring gear job. Hay Neil Fingerwag.gif

Yeah, that is my blue boat.  There are 6 lite strips under the gunnels, 4 lite pods on both sides under the seat, and in the back under the seat, a 12 lite strip under the dash, 2 more 6 lite strips under the gunnels in the bow, and another 4 lite pod in the walkway.  I wired it to an accessory switch, it was really easy.  They draw milliamps, so the battery is no concern.  I just got a pair of Addictions, and I am having a strip made that will go behind the flame grilles, giving the speakers a really cool glow.

By the way, I got my lites from Neil.  He has been sick, which is why he is kinda hard to get ahold of.

When are you going to put some pods under your swim deck? That would be cool for some skinny dipping. Innocent.gif

I would hate to see a topic on Neil like the 4x4 ring gear job. Hay Neil Fingerwag.gif

ROFL.gif Could you imagine getting on here some morning and seeing, 17 members and 140,463 guests or a thread getting a million hits :lol:

This sounds like a great project for next spring, but I'm a little LED-challenged. Would it be possible for someone who's done this to put together a parts-list with links to exactly what they bought? Or am I just totally uneducated here and should really know this?

Mike

Edited by mlange
This sounds like a great project for next spring, but I'm a little LED-challenged.  Would it be possible for someone who's done this to put together a parts-list with links to exactly what they bought?  Or am I just totally uneducated here and should really know this?

Mike

you will need a basic hand tool set. cordless drill will help.

zippy tie's.

you may need extra wire to hook the controler power wires up to the battery.

led lights

thats all you would need if you used the ebay lights. There almost a plug and play type of thing. If you go with a set up like peacocks then you will need more supplys like wire. I feel the hard part is just figuring out were to mount the control and routing the wires. If you need the link to zippy ties just let me know.

Thanks.

And is the install as simple as splicing into the wires for the existing gunnel lights, mounting them by zip tying them to the wire looms under the gunnel to hold it in place, and running an extra power wire back to the battery?

All you need to do is splice into the power & ground wires at the switch, mount your lights where you want them (they come with mounts or you can use zip ties) & then plug in the wires from the lights into the control module that comes with them. The power comes off of the module & each light plugs into that. It's very, very easy.

I want to use the normal light switch but I don't want to have both the LED's and the stock lights on at the same time. For those of you that used the stock switch do you disconnect the stock lights or do you run them with the LED's?

I want to use the normal light switch but I don't want to have both the LED's and the stock lights on at the same time. For those of you that used the stock switch do you disconnect the stock lights or do you run them with the LED's?

Your best option would probably be to just take the bulbs out of the stock light housings. In the spots where you have lights but no space for the LEDs you could replace the bulbs with colored bulbs to match the LEDs (that's my plan). Places like Radio Shack probably has bulbs that would work.

That definitely helps.  So, is the control module acting pretty much like a tranformer?

Sorry to be so LED-challenged here.

Mike

That's probably accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of things to note before you install the LED lighting.

1. The direct replacements for the "hockey puck" style lights from the factory are very directed. If you want to light up the underside of a gunnel I would recommend an LED strip.

2. The easiest way to wire them is to replace or pull power from an existing interior light. This way they are already tied in to the factory wiring and you don't have to worry about installing another switch, ground etc. Downside is that all your interior lighting comes on together.

I will try to post some pics of the black light LEDs tha I installed last year. Good luck.

PS I would not count on neilfett for anything

Edited by wakeace