Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder leak

I had a rudder leak from the packing nut too... I just tightened up the packing nut. I'm not sure whether or not a 98 will have a packing nut or a grease assembly. Luckily my rope was solid and just replaced but tearing out the stringers this winter I forgot to tighten the rudder!!!

More information would help a little. Are you asking a question or just letting us know you have water coming in your boat? :)

I have a leak at the rudder bolt and I am asking how to fix it. Can I just tighten the bolt, or will I have to repack the shaft?

martinarcher

That depends. Is the water coming in through one of the rudder housing's four mounting bolts, or is it seeping through the rudder port along the shaft and coming down the side of the rudder mount's port?

That depends. Is the water coming in through one of the rudder housing's four mounting bolts, or is it seeping through the rudder port along the shaft and coming down the side of the rudder mount's port?

Looks like the water is comming from around the bolt the rudder is on

I have a leak at the rudder bolt and I am asking how to fix it. Can I just tighten the bolt, or will I have to repack the shaft?
Looks like the water is coming from around the bolt the rudder is on

:unsure: Got that, MA? :Doh:

:lol:

White Lake - Any chance you can take a picture of the problem? There seems to be an issue with terminology.

martinarcher

:unsure: Got that, MA? :Doh:

:lol:

White Lake - Any chance you can take a picture of the problem? There seems to be an issue with terminology.

NorCali is cracking me up. LOL.gif

Alright.....let's try something new. Pick a bolt by number. Which bolt is the water coming in from? The rudder isn't "on" a bolt at all. There is a port that bolts into the hull. Inside that port there is a wax rope or o-ring seal. If the top of the rudder port has two big nuts like mine it has a wax seal. The rudder shaft goes through this seal and on top of the shaft a tiller arm is bolted to it. The two big nuts control the "tightness" of the seal on the rudder shaft. I'm guessing yours needs tightened if water is leaking from choice #5.

post-7666-017337800 1302749644_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinarcher

NorCali is cracking me up. LOL.gif

Alright.....let's try something new. Pick a bolt by number. Which bolt is the water coming in from? The rudder isn't "on" a bolt at all. There is a port that bolts into the hull. Inside that port there is a wax rope or o-ring seal. If the top of the rudder port has two big nuts like mine it has a wax seal. The rudder shaft goes through this seal and on top of the shaft a tiller arm is bolted to it. The two big nuts control the "tightness" of the seal on the rudder shaft. I'm guessing yours needs tightened if water is leaking from choice #5.

Great information.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is not like the picture of yours. I cannot see bolts 1-4 from inside the boat. THe water is comming in aroung #5. It has a 9/16 bolt which I tried to tighten. This bolt will not tighten. Do you know wher I can a drawing of how the rudder is installed on a 1998 Malibu? I am at the lake for the weekend and not bring a camera with me.

The rudder housing in your boat uses o-rings in the housing to prevent a leak like you have.

You will have to drop the rudder and replace the o-rings in the housing, as one or more of them has failed.

Martin may have a picture of the inside of a newer housing kicking around to help you.

-Chris

Do you know where I can get a drawing of how the parts go together on the rudder and rudder housing on my 1998 Responce LX? I need to know how to take it apart.

• 1 month later...

White lake,

did you have any luck with this.

i seem to be having the same issue.

the housing is sealed and dry around the mounting bolts, but i am getting water through the big brass nuts up top

• 3 months later...

White lake,

did you have any luck with this.

i seem to be having the same issue.

the housing is sealed and dry around the mounting bolts, but i am getting water through the big brass nuts up top