Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What else

drc007

Well after buying a 98 Malibu sunsetter lx and adding tunes, auto ballast , new custom decals and new trailer LEDs I've reached the end goal ... We are taking it out for the first time on the 22nd now I need some last minute maintenance done ... I've got the oil and oil filter , buffed and waxed the boat last weekend .. What else do I need to do maintenance wise to make sure everything goes smoothly this season ... This is my first season behind a DD so it's gonna be a new experience but after 3 years of wakeboarding behind a 78 invader outboard . I can honestly say I can't wait to hit the water . I've been reading and everyone says something about the impellers . How do you change these and should I?

Yes change that impeller unless you are positive and have documentation it has been changed by a competent person since you've owned the boat. Find the water pump and you will remove the 4 bolts and remove the cover plate, your impeller will be there. I'm sure Pistol Pete has some DIY thread on it somewhere. You can get the impeller here

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276.

Have you adjusted your packing seal yet? Disregard if you somehow have a dripless on your boat.

Greased the rudder?

Ensure the Ground wire is very tight on the engine block, ensure the 12v+ charge wire on the alternator is tight as well.

What about the trailer, you didn't mention doing a tune up on it? Bearings, brakes, actuator, etc...

How are the batteries?

How is the tranny oil? Should probably change that.

No I have not adjusted the packing . What does that involve doing ? Oh I'm sorry I did do maintenance on the trailer .. New bearings and tires ..

I think 06VLX hit every point.

One thing I might change also is the fuel filter, unless there's documentation that this was done recently. It's cheap and fairly easy to do.

Oh and I put new batteries in the boat as well as a switch . Didnt even thing about the transmission fluid .

Oops my bad I meant tranny fluid, I was thinking the older vdrives that took sae 30 oil. Also meant packing gland not seal. It's what lets water cool and lubricate your prop shaft.

No I have not adjusted the packing . What does that involve doing ? Oh I'm sorry I did do maintenance on the trailer .. New bearings and tires ..

Adjusting the packing seal is pretty easy.

While on the water open up the floor behind the enging housing. You will see the shaft going into a hose with a set of brass nuts. These two brass nuts ( one inside the other actually) is your seal. You should see about one drip every 10 seconds or so. (mine was almost a stedy stream) If you are getting too much water dripping in tighten the nuts slightly and watch for the drip. Do Not Over Tighten! This should be done with the shaft turning, so have somone you trust drive the boat while you check the drip rates. Only make adjustments with the boat stpoped and motor off.

This will need to be checked every year or so to make sure that the drip rate is still about one every 10 seconds. And dont get too anel about the rate one every 5 seconds will not sink your boat.

Congrats on the upgrade.

I'd do cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, new belt, impeller, and fluid changes in addition to what has already been mentioned.

This way you know exactly when everything was changed and can go from there.

-Chris

I'd say the only other thing is research the body of water you are going to, and know where the shallow spots or stumps are. I little homework can save you a lot of damage. Do you have a depth guage?

Off topic, but were you able get the windshield replaced?

Yes it has the depth gauge and nO I still havent found a appropriate windshield .. I search craigslist and eBay periodically but still haven't found one . All I find is newer windshield that mist likely won't fit unless I do some modification so I'm still holding out :.

Yes it has the depth gauge and nO I still havent found a appropriate windshield .. I search craigslist and eBay periodically but still haven't found one . All I find is newer windshield that mist likely won't fit unless I do some modification so I'm still holding out :.

OK, just wondering. I'm usually scrounging for stuff and I'll keep it in mind.