Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Brakes

I have a tandem axil trailer make by Boatmate and I notice that my brakes don't work, Cry.gif this is making it hard to stop a VLX, I noticed that the break fluid was low and added some but that has not helped much. I am thinking that the back up solenoid is stuck closed. I unpluged the lights and the boat would back up with no problems I know when I got the boat I could not back it with the lights unplugged.

Any thoughts on what it might be, and how can I check the back up solenoid. Help.gif

There may be air in the lines so you may have to purge them in order to get them to work again. This would be my first attempt before anything else.

One way to check the solenoid is to put the truck in reverse with the engine off. Then plug and unplug the trailer wire connector from the truck. You should hear an audible click when you plug it in. If not then you may want to take a look in your trailer coupler instructions. Maybe there's something in there that will help.

I agree the easiest route is to add brake fluid and bleed the brakes. A couple of other things to check:

1. Check to see if your emergency safety chain has been pulled. Open the coupler and look for a small horse-shoe shaped clip attached to the safety chain just inside the coupler. If that's missing, the chain has been pulled and you'll need to re-set it. Look underneath the coupler and there's a re-set lever that should pop back into place.

2. You can also check the operation of the cylinder by taking a screwdriver and manually moving the piston from underneath the coupler right near the re-set lever. If you open up the cylinder reservoir cap and look in it, whenever you move the piston manually you should see a ripple or bubbles in the fluid.

Better detailed instructions should be in your owners manualhere. For parts, check with Waymire Distribution.

FWIW, I replaced my coupler (kept all the inner workings of the brake actuator) recently - cost of the part was $90. Did the labor myself.

Can You tell if the actuator is sliding in and out of the tongue? If it's not, then it may have become stuck. If you solenoid is stuck in the open position, it will slide "freely" as it should when you are in reverse.

Have someone drive the truck while you look out the back to see if it's sliding in and out. If it does not slide, it is probably your solenoid or maybe you've got a leak in the lines.

The UFP actuators (the part you hook to your ball) do go bad from time to time, especially of you leave the boat outside in the weather unused for long periods of time.

I would also suggest calling Owen at Boatmate. He has always seemed willing to help me out, and provides some of the best customer service in the business.

Thanks for the help I will give look at it tonight. Thanks JB for the link, very helpful.

As far as I know the actuator is moving in and out, the breaks are not being applied, hopefully it is low fluid. This bleeding thing looks to be a PITA.

Thanks for the help I will give look at it tonight. Thanks JB for the link, very helpful.

As far as I know the actuator is moving in and out, the breaks are not being applied, hopefully it is low fluid. This bleeding thing looks to be a PITA.

Yep bleeding them is miserable. It definitely takes two people unless you have a vaccuum brake bleeder. Not sure if the instructions show you this, but you can use a screwdriver inserted from below into the coupler to depress the plunger while bleeding.