Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jump seats!!

rbh98

:unsure: I am planning to get some jump seats

for my sporty, and was wondering has anyone ever

made their own! I am probably going to make them

myself, but I would like to make them weight 100-150 lbs each!

Anyone have any pics of diy seats or ideas?

You know, that's the one project that I never considered. I considered a jump seat with a cooler, with storage, with just about every other imaginable thing underneath it, but not ballast. What was I thinking? :Doh: (Probably something like, "Why bother, we're going to own a v-drive before long anyway." :lol:)

To answer the OP's question, I think it would be very doable. You might want to check on the "Bricks" that some of the ballast sack manufacturers make to see what the dimensions are when full. Then see if that's doable inside of a box under the seat (it might make it too tall and/or too long, but I don't know). At that point it comes down to how handy you are at building something like that. My husband built a set of seats for one of our boats that came out great. He built them out of marine plywood & we just took them down to an upholstery shop & they did the rest. You can get the carpet through your dealer to be sure that it matches.

Edited by WakeGirl

Has anyone ever thought of jump seats in the V-drive hatches on each side of the engine? They could face toward the rider, provide a few hundred lbs. of ballast, and open up two more seats in the boat.

Not to mention the CO2, probably not much safer than teak surfing...(at slow speeds)

CO2 would be the least of my worries :lol: But seriously I don't think it would be a problem at all. When we are surfing (on my friends boat) we sit on top of the hatches all the time, and some times even have a person or two stand in the compartment.