Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ProMariner Onboard Chargers

JTech

Looking for experienced opinions on these units. Overton's has them on sale and I need to purchase something to keep the battery levels up until I can run the boat more.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87112&pdesc=ProMariner_ProSport_6_Onboard_Battery_Charger&str=promariner&merchID=4005

Reviews are 50/50 on reliability. Do you think that is coming from lazy fisherman that leave them outside in the weather all year or do they die often from poor design?

Also wondering if there is any harm done by buying a three bank unit and only using two until I decide where the third battery will go.

Thanks!

J

Looking for experienced opinions on these units. Overton's has them on sale and I need to purchase something to keep the battery levels up until I can run the boat more.

http://www.overtons....er&merchID=4005

Reviews are 50/50 on reliability. Do you think that is coming from lazy fisherman that leave them outside in the weather all year or do they die often from poor design?

Also wondering if there is any harm done by buying a three bank unit and only using two until I decide where the third battery will go.

Thanks!

J

We have the dual battery bank one and love it. I can't say anything about not using the 3rd bank, but I would think it shoudl be fine (just tape the extra leads off)

Not a bad deal if using 10% off code v90330. To bad shipping is $14.. I am having a hard time debating on purchasing one of these or just using my regular battery charger for my 2 batteries.

We have the dual battery bank one and love it. I can't say anything about not using the 3rd bank, but I would think it shoudl be fine (just tape the extra leads off)

06vlx Sent me the link, He knows allot about these Pro mariners, so i got one, So far works great!! Edited by Wakesetter67

They are great, and don't tape the unused charging leads off. Double them up on the biggest battery if you don't have a third battery.

What happens when you combine them vs. taping them off?

Sorry if this question is a little ignorant, but why are you guy's finding the need for these? The only reason I can see it as a necessity is if you are using a high powered stereo for hours, and not running the boat very long afterward to recharge the batteries. Is that the case? I have two batteries and sometimes run the stereo for 2-3 hours, but generally wakeboard/surf/drive enough to get the charge back up...At least I'm assuming this is the case, as I haven't had dead batteries yet! Let me know if I'm missing something... Thanks!

I believe the purpose of these is to maintain the life of the cells. My neighbor says his die out every few years unless he hooks up a charger to them in the off season. I think it is due in part that marine battries are different in design than auto ones and need help getting back to a full charge + conditioning. I am sure others here have more of a technical angle on it, but everyone I know that has one said they would always use one.

I asked pro mariner about that and they said the charger just sees it as one battery bank that way, they said l leads must be connected because the charger monitors the voltage at the end of each run of cable.

Hmmmm.. Maybe I should invest in one. My stereo isn't huge, but I do have 3 amps totaling 2000watts and a dual battery bank....

Personally I don't think any boat should be without one unless you don't care about your batteries, to me its cheap insurance.

Personally, I think that it's the whole package that makes it worth it. These onboard chargers do a much, much better job of maintaining & conditioning your battery/batteries. With a normal trickle charger, you run the risk of overcharging & that will damage your batteries. These onboard chargers can be left plugged in because they will provide a deep charge for batteries that are a bit low that rolls off after certain points, & once fully charged will float at a point that won't overcharge. A trickle charger won't do any of that. The convenience of being able to plug it in rather than dealing with the leads off of a trickle charger is so much nicer, & again, you can just leave it plugged in so it's always ready to go. It's a great investment IMO.

Is it the same if you have the dual bank charger ,and oonly have one battery in at the moment,so I should hook both sets up to one batt.when plugging in does everything need to be off so theres no surge of power ,blow fuses or what?thanks for the help

I just added a dual battery setup a few weeks ago. I'm convinced that I need to add an on-board charger but I've also read the mixed reviewed on the ProMariner units. Anyone know how the Guest charger compare?

Personally I don't think any boat should be without one unless you don't care about your batteries, to me its cheap insurance.

Agreed. I think we will see BU comming out with them on their boats next year..hopefully. Natique already has them as an option. Here is my install. I ran the cord to the back and added a fancy plug I got from Earmark. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/50-malibu-wakesetter-vtx/page__tab__mods__mod_id__38

Agreed. I think we will see BU comming out with them on their boats next year..hopefully. Natique already has them as an option. Here is my install. I ran the cord to the back and added a fancy plug I got from Earmark. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/50-malibu-wakesetter-vtx/page__tab__mods__mod_id__38

They were supposed to be offering them in 09', not sure what happened to that one?

I only have 2 batts but I am not sure if I should go with a pro12 or pro 20 :sw3:

Extra $15 off @ gander mountain use code GM4WL4 and they always have free shipping which overtons does not.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87112&pdesc=ProMariner_ProSport_6_Onboard_Battery_Charger

Edited by BlitzedVLX

I only have 2 batts but I am not sure if I should go with a pro12 or pro 20 :sw3:

Extra $15 off @ gander mountain use code GM4WL4 and they always have free shipping which overtons does not.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87112&pdesc=ProMariner_ProSport_6_Onboard_Battery_Charger

great find!! Thinking of doing this rather than messing with trickle charger.

• 1 month later...

great find!! Thinking of doing this rather than messing with trickle charger.

Is everyone using the black cap that came on the unit? It comes with an additional grey and red cap for GEL batteries but i believe both of my interstate marine batteries would be AGM correct?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had a problem with these units? I put a ProSport8 on my boat about six weeks ago and it was working fine. I plugged it in one night about two weeks ago and it came on and was charging. I checked it later and it was totally dead, no lights nothing!! It won't come on now at all, I have check to make sure it is getting power and it is the charger itself is dead.I called the manufacture this morning but have not heard back from them yet.

Terry

Is everyone using the black cap that came on the unit? It comes with an additional grey and red cap for GEL batteries but i believe both of my interstate marine batteries would be AGM correct?

Yeah, I stressed over it for a bit because my Interstate batteries didn't say anywhere on them what "type" they were." However, if it's a gel or AGM definitely be labeled and wet cell are pretty standard.

Haven't had any problems with my ProSport 8. Leav it plugged in every time I leave the boat.

Edited by Cdoogles