Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Acetone to Gasoline

Jimmypooh

I may have missed this breaking story 2 years ago, but I've been reading a lot of comments about adding a small amount of acetone to help the atomization process and get better fuel economy/power. I know people love the idea of the oil companies conspiring against us, but I suppose MPG increases would cut into their bottom line. I'm curious what others have heard or think about this.

I may have missed this breaking story 2 years ago, but I've been reading a lot of comments about adding a small amount of acetone to help the atomization process and get better fuel economy/power. I know people love the idea of the oil companies conspiring against us, but I suppose MPG increases would cut into their bottom line. I'm curious what others have heard or think about this.

I have not heard of that but if it is viable and wont hurt my engine I would surely use it. Do you have any links to articles about this?

I have not heard of that but if it is viable and wont hurt my engine I would surely use it. Do you have any links to articles about this?

There is a lot of information when you search

Pro - Here

Con - Here

It's also on Youtube if you search "Acetone Gas"

My biggest concern would be any rubber parts. Acetone is a solvant that could eat away at those parts. On the other hand many engine and fuel system cleaners have acetone in them.

Yeah, I have a 200 MPG carb sitting my garage too.

Fuel vaporization in modern SI engines with MPI or DI is excellent compared with old carbs, the only benefit I could see would be charge cooling.

Also MPG increases would equal more oil consumption - its a simple demand curve shift. Very very few instances in history where increased energy efficiency equated to actual energy savings because consumption increases beyond the efficiency gains. So I doubt the oil companies really care.

-Chris

Tried it on a car with an onboard computer and saw absolutly no change in MPG. Just a lot of effort in getting it mixed right. To be fair in an old car it might do enough cleaning to imporve the MPG and power, but then again so would any other cleaner.

There is a lot of information when you search

Pro - Here

Con - Here

It's also on Youtube if you search "Acetone Gas"

My biggest concern would be any rubber parts. Acetone is a solvant that could eat away at those parts. On the other hand many engine and fuel system cleaners have acetone in them.

I checked those links and after reading it, I would prefer if you try it and report back. :crazy: I would not put it in my boat, I would prefer a slower speed to my favorite spot for skiing ( out of wind spot on fox river south of locks). additives make me uneasy but I could surely use better mileage in my work vehicles and daily driver.

You're probably right. People will never fly or go to the moon either. :Tease3:

Well I tell you this much, snake oil didn't make planes fly or men walk on the moon.