Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust drains

I have a 1997 Sunsetter with the 320 Monsoon. I have been unsuccessful at getting the drain plug (the one that takes a 1/2" drive to remove) out of the starboard side. I wanted to drain the block and exhaust and push some pink through it in the event we see sub 32* temps here in SE Michigan over the next couple of weeks. Any advice from the crew?

I have a 1997 Sunsetter with the 320 Monsoon. I have been unsuccessful at getting the drain plug (the one that takes a 1/2" drive to remove) out of the starboard side. I wanted to drain the block and exhaust and push some pink through it in the event we see sub 32* temps here in SE Michigan over the next couple of weeks. Any advice from the crew?

I recently had to pull a plug from the manifold that was installed when the engine was manufactured. The plug had been painted over. The only thing that made it move was to get a torch and apply some heat. It's worth a shot. Make sure it's well ventilated before you fire up a flame near the engine though.

PB Blaster?

Is the square hole stripped out?

When you do get it out, consider installing the crossover hose kit. It will simplify this process a LOT.

exhsthose_LG.jpg

Good idea. No, the square hole is not stripped out. Also, I have thought about heating it with a torch but didn't want to burn the paint off. It's in super nice shape and I hope to keep it that way.

Good its not stripped out. So I'd soak it in PB Blaster a few times a day for a day or two. Then tap a short 1/2" extension in the hole with a hammer. Then try & spin it out.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Good its not stripped out. So I'd soak it in PB Blaster a few times a day for a day or two. Then tap a short 1/2" extension in the hole with a hammer. Then try & spin it out.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I'm going to stop and get some PB Blaster after work and hope that it does the trick. It just seems strange that it's that tight. When I last tried to take if out, I used heat and a breaker bar and it didn't move. I was afraid of either stripping it out or breaking the ratchet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. At a minimum, I want to get as much water out of the thing as possible.

Good idea. No, the square hole is not stripped out. Also, I have thought about heating it with a torch but didn't want to burn the paint off. It's in super nice shape and I hope to keep it that way.

The engine gets pretty hot. I don't think a few seconds with a torch will make the paint peel, but you can try PB blaster first.

Yea, I'm sure the pipe increased your leverage.... maybe even enough to blow the ratchet up. :crazy:

Another option would be to put a shop light under the engine cover the next few nights.

Good luck.

Yea, I'm sure the pipe increased your leverage.... maybe even enough to blow the ratchet up. :crazy:

Another option would be to put a shop light under the engine cover the next few nights.

Good luck.

The shop light is going to be a last resort kind of thing. Considering this is my first DD boat, I'm not going to sleep well knowing that there is a chance it could freeze. I'm still going to drain down the block and the port side manifold. I have also thought about disconnecting the exhaust hose and sucking the water out with a shop vac if it gets to that point. Again, a last resort kind of thing. I think I'll be ok in all honesty but I want to eliminate any possibility of problems as best I can.

inlandlaker,

I'll be out at my rents in Commerce tonight for dinner, If you need a hand PM me and I can swing by and try and give you a hand.

However, if you are really worried. a couple gallons of pink a funnel and a tube should be more then adequate for the temps were going to be getting.

Good luck.

Thanks, jeepdude2. I have a few gallons of pink on hand with a funnel and plan on running it through the system if need be. I was going to pull the raw water intake hose of the fitting and bring it up to temp with a hose so the thermostat opens and then run a few gallons through it as a worst case type situation. I'm still going to try to get all the water out and break that thing free if possible. You have a PM.

Tell me why you are waiting till April to winterize. This makes no sense to me.

I'm going to stop and get some PB Blaster after work and hope that it does the trick. It just seems strange that it's that tight. When I last tried to take if out, I used heat and a breaker bar and it didn't move. I was afraid of either stripping it out or breaking the ratchet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. At a minimum, I want to get as much water out of the thing as possible.

Not strange at all, routine.

pkenney,

If you've been following other threads, inlandlaker just bought the boat and had it out on the water for a test. He doesn't want it to freeze since it's supposed to get cold.

With the daytime temps in the 50s, I don't think it would freeze even if below 32 for a while, but better safe than sorry.

Just a guess..... but we winterize multiple times during the year because we like to take the boat out when it still gets cold at night.

@ pkenney: Cedar Lake Skier and Bill should have cleared it up for you. I'm just looking to maximize my time on the water before I get my lift. More of a "mini" winterize than anything.

Levi....I have 3 gallons on hand if I have to do that.

Edited by inlandlaker

Not strange at all, routine.

That's a little reassuring, eyepeeler. It's just very difficult to break free. I soaked it in PB Blaster, and will again tomorrow, but I could not get it out again. It just seems like it should not be this difficult. The port side was no problem at all.

A pretty good indicator of if there is a concern is to look at the average temperature for any given 12 hour time period. Cast iron takes a long time to "freeze" water in the jackets so warmer days really help. One thing to consider is the floor temp, if sitting on a concrete floor, since the ground is still much cooler than the air. A bit of pink RV antifreeze in the exhaust manifold will help. I would also purge the heater core if the boat has one, that is much more fragile than other components. Take an old milk jug and fill with water, use that as a gauge sitting on the trailer fender as to the condition of the water in the boat. A light bulb in the bilge helps a lot.

A pretty good indicator of if there is a concern is to look at the average temperature for any given 12 hour time period. Cast iron takes a long time to "freeze" water in the jackets so warmer days really help. One thing to consider is the floor temp, if sitting on a concrete floor, since the ground is still much cooler than the air. A bit of pink RV antifreeze in the exhaust manifold will help. I would also purge the heater core if the boat has one, that is much more fragile than other components. Take an old milk jug and fill with water, use that as a gauge sitting on the trailer fender as to the condition of the water in the boat. A light bulb in the bilge helps a lot.

Good advice as per usual, woodski. The boat is in my driveway under cover. I have a small lake lot and didn't have room for a garage when I built (kick myself sometimes for that but hope the neighbor next door looses his so I can buy it and build a garage) the house. So, I think I'll do as you suggest with the milk jug. I had assumed that the cast iron would need to get awfully cold before the water within would freeze and I don't think we'll see temps quite that low for that long. Again, more of a piece of mind than anything. I have the block drained and left the knock sensor out and the petcock open on the port side. No heater or shower on this boat, so that mitigates freeze issues there. I think I'll do the milk jug thing and then a shop light in the bilge if I can't break that manifold plug free.

BTW....did I mention that I love this boat?! It's in killer shape for the age and it's simply awesome!

@ pkenney: Cedar Lake Skier and Bill should have cleared it up for you. I'm just looking to maximize my time on the water before I get my lift. More of a "mini" winterize than anything.

Levi....I have 3 gallons on hand if I have to do that.

It is all good now I understand Thanks

Problem temporarily solved. A friend allowed my to put it in his heated garage for a few days. This is huge. It will allow me to get it all polished up for the season! It was an easy trade. I bought beer and have to help him with a swing set for his girls. It's a good deal in my world.

Edited by inlandlaker
martinarcher

Problem temporarily solved. A friend allowed my to put it in his heated garage for a few days. This is huge. It will allow me to get it all polished up for the season! It was an easy trade. I bought beer and have to help him with a swing set for his girls. It's a good deal in my world.

Sweet. Gotta love it when a buddy pulls through in a pinch. Rockon.gif