Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calling Echelon Owners with BI Boom

JDubya

Does anyone know if a straight BI boom will work on a 1993 Echelon. I am not sure if the winshield interfears or not and I don't have any good pictures for reference.

I found a great deal on a straight BI boom but want to make sure it will work on my boat. I know the contour boom would be best, but for the price I can't pass up this straight boom if it will work.

Also, does anyone know if the drivers seat will slide foward enough to use it on the Starboard side, I know it will take some modification to use is this way but I would prefer it mounted that way for obvious reasons.

Edited by JDubya

I'm going to say "That's a negative, Ghostrider".

I don't have the BI, I have the ECI, and part of the contour is not just to get back around the windshield but also to put the mounting point lower on the pylon, so that the part you hold onto at the other end is elevated high enough. Otherwise the boom would hit below your chest. This pic might help:

Edit: now that I look at it again, the angle up would probably still work, it would just be pointing up at more of an angle. I'm pretty sure the BI booms will work on either side, but my ECI will not without modification.

post-8942-091700800 1302531917_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michigan boarder

I'm going to say "That's a negative, Ghostrider".

I don't have the BI, I have the ECI, and part of the contour is not just to get back around the windshield but also to put the mounting point lower on the pylon, so that the part you hold onto at the other end is elevated high enough. Otherwise the boom would hit below your chest. This pic might help:

Edit: now that I look at it again, the angle up would probably still work, it would just be pointing up at more of an angle. I'm pretty sure the BI booms will work on either side, but my ECI will not without modification.

Thanks MB, I am not as concerned about the height as BI sells a height adjustment piece. I am more concerned with it clearing the winsheild. All the pictures I see look like it would just miss the winsheld, but I can't be sure. Guess I'll have to take a trip to the boat stall to confirm myself.

Here's a photo of the HA that BI makes taht I was talking about.

I will be using the boom to mainly teach the kids in our extended famiy to ski and board. Prob will never see any footin.

Boom_001s.jpg

Edited by JDubya

It will fit but it does angle the boom ever so slightly back if I remember correctly. I made a height adjustor for mine as you need to get the clamp below the taper on the pylon. Similar to the picture, just fewer holes and made from three peices of aluminum bolted together. I never installed mine on the drivers side.

Yep, what Woodski said. It will angle slightly towards the back of the boat but will work. With your intended uses, it should be just fine for you.

Went by to look at the boat. Doesn't look like it would work on the driver's side as the drivers seat doesn't go far enough foward to allow the boom to mount unless it is a contour boom.

However it looks like the bigger issue is that it would hit the grab rail. I am worried the boom will contact the grab rail and not the gunnel and put downward pressure on the rail. Does anyone think that this would be an issue or am I just worrying about a non-issue.

There are a couple of things you can do, you are correct on the handle contact. You can trim the slip on bumper for the gunnel, or if you don't have one on the bar, get one from a hardware store, ot the boom company could also supply one. What I like to do is tie a towel around the boom on the gunnel to keep it from getting marred and also tie the boom down to one of the handles particularly pulling rearward so a sudden release by the footer does not allow the boom to spring forward. I lke to rest the boom pretty much right in the V created for the trailing edge of the windsheild.