Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any Sunsetters for sale?

fiz140

Hello, After skiing behind and driving my response last season, my friend has decided that he would like to upgrade from his old i/o to a direct drive sunsetter. My friend has a family of 5. They are mainly looking for a better ski wake, but will also use the boat for wakeboarding and surfing. Their lake can get fairly choppy so his thinking is that the sunsetter with its larger freeboard would be a better choice compared to the response. He has been looking for a few months without much luck, there are plenty of responses for sale, but few sunsetters so I thought I would throw out a feeler post for him. He is located in the Chicago area and has a budget of 30k.

Thanks in advance, Fiz

Hello, After skiing behind and driving my response last season, my friend has decided that he would like to upgrade from his old i/o to a direct drive sunsetter. My friend has a family of 5. They are mainly looking for a better ski wake, but will also use the boat for wakeboarding and surfing. Their lake can get fairly choppy so his thinking is that the sunsetter with its larger freeboard would be a better choice compared to the response. He has been looking for a few months without much luck, there are plenty of responses for sale, but few sunsetters so I thought I would throw out a feeler post for him. He is located in the Chicago area and has a budget of 30k.

Thanks in advance, Fiz

With that budget he should also consider iRides and XTIs as there are many available in that range with direct drive performance, room for 5+ comfortably and multi-sport capabilities.

Also, this boat has been for sale for forever...well over a year:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXi-97568053

I really wanted this boat but was not in my price range...my guess it is it probably getting close to reasonable. Great equipment, perfect color combo (IMHO), and is probably close to you given you're Chicago area.

-- Mike

Edited by EchelonMike

With that budget he should also consider iRides and XTIs as there are many available in that range with direct drive performance, room for 5+ comfortably and multi-sport capabilities.

Also, this boat has been for sale for forever...well over a year:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Malibu-Sunsetter-LXi-97568053

I really wanted this boat but was not in my price range...my guess it is it probably getting close to reasonable. Great equipment, perfect color combo (IMHO), and is probably close to you given you're Chicago area.

-- Mike

Others on the site will likely know for sure, but I recall hearing that the hull was changed on the '04 or '05 SSLXI (as compared to the '00 through '03 MY), negatively affecting the ski wake. If this is accurate, it's something for your friend to consider, particularly if he's interested in the ski wake.

Thanks for the replies. I wondered about the 05 hull change. Mike, my friend has looked at the boat that you suggested and decided to pass. I will tell him to check out the other models that you suggested.

Here is one to take a look at. I can personally say it's in near perfect condition as it was my boat since it was new in 2001. I traded it in for a new Nautique. I had it for 10 years and it was never in for anything other than routing maintenance. It was a great boat for us. I know it was available as of 2 weeks ago when I was back at the dealership. It is located in Fenton MI.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-MALIBU-Sunsetter-LXI-Open-Bow-97658064

Here is one to take a look at. I can personally say it's in near perfect condition as it was my boat since it was new in 2001. I traded it in for a new Nautique. I had it for 10 years and it was never in for anything other than routing maintenance. It was a great boat for us. I know it was available as of 2 weeks ago when I was back at the dealership. It is located in Fenton MI.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-MALIBU-Sunsetter-LXI-Open-Bow-97658064

That's a hell of a boat.

Thanks in advance, Fiz

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2298797306.html

I'm planning to upgrade to newer VLX soon...

Edited by 02LXI

Update - My friend Scott is on his way home with JHarris's former boat! :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Fiz

Very nice! Looks like he has a bracket, but no wedge. If he wants one I know someone who just upgraded to a floater and might have one for sale that came off that exact same boat. :whistle:

Update - My friend Scott is on his way home with JHarris's former boat! :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Fiz

fiz140,

I'm glad this worked out for your friend. Sounds like my first born is going to a good home.

I hope that he enjoys the boat as much as I did. My only regret with the boat is that I didn't have time to use it as much as I wanted. I guess that is obvious by the fact that it is a 2001 with less than 200 hours.