Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Prop To Buy

Wake My Day

I am looking for a prop upgrade for my 2006 23LSV. I currently run the ACME 381. I would love a better hole shot, but try and maintain my crusing speed. I live at sea level and run the Hammer Head motor. There is so much info on props its hard to figure it out for my boat. Any insight and real practical experience with my setup would be great.

Just wanted to add, we mostly wakeboard and surf. We fill all 4 hard tanks, use the wedge, and 1100lb bag in either corner when surfing.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by Wake My Day

I just put my new OJ fusion on yesterday! 14.25 x 14.50. We're taking it out for a spin today so I'll re-post after we're done, everything I've heard about this prop has been nothing but good. great holeshot and only 1-2 MPH off the top end. The Acme 1273 is the as the OJ fusion, 14.25 x 14.50, and it is really nice also, and also more expensive. We mostly wakeboard, but also surf on occasion, usually at the end of the day when everybody is all beat up!

Ok now Im really getting confused. OJ has a new prop called the 532 Fusion with a diameter of 14.25 and a pitch of 14.5. They also have a prop called the 475 with the exact specs.

HELP

Eric Johnson of OJ Props is a member here, he could answer all of your questions. Just shoot him a message.

There is a group buy for paid members going right now (until the end of April) on both OJ and ACME props. Well worth the price of admission for the money saved...and you'd be supporting The Crew. :thumbup:

EDIT: I just saw that you already support the crew. :salute:

Edited by NorCaliBu

Thanks NorCaliBu

I have sent off a PM to Eric. Can anyone chime in on the ACME side of things. The 537 or the newer 1939. I need a little more hole shot for surfing but do cruise around quite a bit, so a true dig your heels in surf prop is not my first choice.

Ok now Im really getting confused. OJ has a new prop called the 532 Fusion with a diameter of 14.25 and a pitch of 14.5. They also have a prop called the 475 with the exact specs.

HELP

The OJ Fusion was discussed here. Eric from OJ gives a good explanation in post #3.

Give us a call on Monday, we carry both brands, so we can walk you through your options from each one, as well as compare the two.

No obligation. :)

Thanks that post cleared up the questions about the two props.

FYI don't get so set on any one prop. Both OJ and Acme do exchange props for a different model just pay shipping, just ask about before your purchase. I've been hearing good thing about the fusions.

Thanks Malibudude

Im in Vancouver Canada so it is not very convienent to be sending 2 or 3 props back and forth. I was hoping someone had my setup of an 06 wakesetter 23 lsv with the HH to give me some insight into what a 537, fusion or the 1939 would look like for me as an upgrade from my 381.

Well you asked

;)

I am looking for a prop upgrade for my 2006 23LSV. I currently run the ACME 381. I would love a better hole shot, but try and maintain my crusing speed. I live at sea level and run the Hammer Head motor. There is so much info on props its hard to figure it out for my boat. Any insight and real practical experience with my setup would be great.

Just wanted to add, we mostly wakeboard and surf. We fill all 4 hard tanks, use the wedge, and 1100lb bag in either corner when surfing.

Thanks

Rob

When surfing you should drop all ballast an non surf side and have EVERY one sit on surf side for the best results.

HELP

First thanks to Nor Cal (Mike) for the link and plug for being a supporter :werule:

Now to shine a little light on your question on the 4 props.

Per ACME The 1939 is very comparable to a 537, but I feel it will handle the bigger boats a little bit better compared to the 537.

The 537 is still a very good all-around prop, especially for boats 22' and less in length... and generally when those boats aren't too heavily loaded (with people and/or ballast).

Relative to the 1939, the 537 can be thought of as a little bit more of a speed / cruising prop.

Relative to the 537, the 1939 can be thought of as a little bit more of a torque / acceleration prop.

If I'm looking at a boat that is 23' in length or greater, I'm more apt to choose a 1939 over a 537.

However, the 1939 and the 537 are very comparable propellers, and RPM-wise they should run about the same at WOT. Generally, there shouldn't be a huge difference in performance between the two props. But again, more diameter tends to be a bit more torquay and efficient when dealing with bigger boats and heavier loads. (ACME 2011)

Per OJ The 14.25 X 14.5 LC 532 FUSION 4-blade is created from a CNC machined Master Pattern. The casting produced from this pattern is very close to a "net part", meaning there is very little clean up to be done to "finish" the part. The finish is done by hand as opposed to being machined in the mill. Very little material is removed in this process resulting in a very accurate FUSION part. The CNC machined 475, 468 are also created from a machined Master Pattern however the casting created is much thicker to allow for the machining. The difference in the cost of the parts is mostly found in the castings. A lighter casting costs less to produce. The finished products do not differ in performance as the FUSION is just a "copy" of the finished 475. (Eric Johnson, OJ fusion, 2010)

Now may say but the 1939 is way cheaper then the OJ, at first you would be right but then you need to look at like ACME props such as the 1235, 1273. The 1939 has a smaller dia witch in turn allows ACME to lower their cost and pass it along.

Just remember it is almost impossible to have great hole shot and not loose the top end so you will have to give some one way or the other. But from what you have and asking for I think you would want to look at the OJ 532, 475 and ACME 1273 ( :blush: did I just add a new # for you :innocent: )

D Goose great post ( Thanks) It looks like the fusion 532 will be the place to start. I was curious what my RPM's would be for cruising between the ACME 381 and the fusion 532. Our launching ramp and our surfing area is probabley 35 min cruise away. If I normally crusie at 28 to 30 miles per hour with my 381 what kind of increase in RPM can i expect with the fusion 532.

Thanks

Way to many possibilities (up river, down, head or tail wind, load in the boat) to say what it will be, but it will increase. Like I mentioned, you HAVE to be willing to give up some thing. I still stand behind the 3 props above because you are running 1k or more ballast.

Maybe some day the technology of how a airplane prop can twist electrically to change pitch can be applied to a boat prop.

Great point D Goose. When you get a chance can you PM me with the group buy info and vender for the OJ 532

Thanks

I just put my new OJ fusion on yesterday! 14.25 x 14.50. We're taking it out for a spin today so I'll re-post after we're done, everything I've heard about this prop has been nothing but good. great holeshot and only 1-2 MPH off the top end. The Acme 1273 is the as the OJ fusion, 14.25 x 14.50, and it is really nice also, and also more expensive. We mostly wakeboard, but also surf on occasion, usually at the end of the day when everybody is all beat up!

OJ Fusion rocked man! Very nice hole shot, didn't even feel like I had anyone back there. We didn't surf, but surely enjoyed the wakeboard pull!