Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ear plugs

WakeGirl

So my recent stint with an ear infection was rather serious, & I'm looking to see if there are any new options as far as ear plugs go. In past I've used silicone ear plugs (I believe the Macs brand), but am curious if any Crew members have come up with a better solution? An old thread also recommended Doc's as an option, but I've never tried those. Any ideas?

martinarcher

Never tried them in the water, but I used to run sound for a classic rock band and would wear plugs called Hearos. They were nice and comfy for the 4-5 hours of playing we did and they allow you to not be totally cut off from the sonic world. You can actually hear things going on while still protecting your ears.

You can find them here

They also have a line geared toward water sports here.

I like the "three" ribbed design as it keeps the plug comfortable without being annoying and applying lots of pressure to you ear canal.

Edited by martinarcher

I wear the cheep fomies when around jet engines but have never tried them in the water. I am pretty sure Lowes has started carring them.

Large gun shows will have ear plug vendors that will make custom, to your ear, ear plugs. These will be a little more expensive than store bought (~$60) and, I don't know if they're meant to go in the water but, they would probably be the best. A lot of motorcyclists swear by this type.

Personally, I wear Howard Leigth laser lite plugs every night while I'm sleeping. Again, not sure how water proof these particular plugs would be but, they're very comfortable.

Looks like these would work.

Edited by Pistol Pete

my wife wears the silicon ones I think - they are quite moldable- she has tried most of them and always goes back. I like pistol pete's advice - the custom ones would probably work the best -

I've had my fair issues with ear infections and sinus problems. I had my ENT's office make me a custom pair molded to my ear, similar to what Pete described above. I use mine when I shoot and swim, but I hit the water too hard so I don't typically wear them when my wife is dragging me behind the boat (I think she might have a different agenda). I would think the dense foam ones you can get from Home Depot would work just fine and you could throw them away after every use. Good luck.

M-

Edited by Hammertime

I too used to get wicked ear aches - usually when I was barefootting - and started carrying the cheap foamies in the boat. I used them for a few years and never hand any more problems. They're cheap and they worked for me. I no longer barefoot - getting older sucks!!

Foamies have never worked for me, I think that my ears are too small. I think that I'm going to give the Hearos a try that Martin recommended above. The silicone type that I've been using work alright, but they don't float & I tend to be a clutz & lose them. Plus they don't allow you to hear much with them in, while it looks like the Hearos may.

Going back to the ENT tomorrow, so I'll be curious to hear what he has to say. I'm quite sure that he'll push the custom type.

Foamies have never worked for me, I think that my ears are too small. I think that I'm going to give the Hearos a try that Martin recommended above. The silicone type that I've been using work alright, but they don't float & I tend to be a clutz & lose them. Plus they don't allow you to hear much with them in, while it looks like the Hearos may.

Going back to the ENT tomorrow, so I'll be curious to hear what he has to say. I'm quite sure that he'll push the custom type.

Through work and play, I wear both foam and molded. My company purchased molded for everyone about 15 years ago and I still use both pairs of mine today. I think they keep the molds for 5 years in case you lose one or need a second pair.

By far I prefer the molded.

I have never thought or needed to use them for watersports but now I may have to do some testing in case the need ever arises. On the sets I have, they can be used with a lanyard but a crash skiing would probably pull the cord off before you ever had one come out of your ear. I'll have to check if they float but a brightly colored set might be easily found on the off chance the lanyard failed or one popped out (assuming they float).

• 1 month later...

Just had a pair of these made am so pleased I bought another for me and a pair for my son. Like Pete said I got them at the NRA convention here in Pittsburgh. I shoot competitive pistol and it blocks all that sharp crack out and the best I have ever worn. You can hear very well and they fit and were very well all day, they are water proof with strings attached. It is a little strange having someone injecting a liquid into your ears though. They also kind of screw in and out of your ears so they will stay in. Here is the web sites earinc.com. www freehearingtests.com. 800-525-2690

I used to have ear problems. Had to make a trip to the doctor almost every season for a bad ear infection. The ENT doctor I went to, who also likes water sports told me to mix 50/50 rubbing alcohol and vinegar. He said to put it in each ear every time you get out of the water. I haven't had any ear problems since, that was several years ago.

martinarcher

Let me know what you think of them. They're cheap and have worked well for me. Like you said, I hate being "shut off" from the world while having plugs in. Good luck!