Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do i need to use relay's for Tsunami 800 GPH pumps?

prion

I am currently in the process of installing an automated bag in my rear locker. I am going to use 2 Tsunami 800 GPH pumps, one for filling and one for draining. They will of course be wired to the same on-off-on stock switch on my dash. My question is: do these pumps draw enough amps that a relay is needed? Or can I just wire them directly to the dash switch?

Ryan

Calculate your requirements exactly, dont just shoot from the hip.

Use a chart like this one:

cablelength.gif

or just Google: amperage length guage wire calculator

Follow the spec's that are required by the pumps and x2 as you are using 2 pumps. This will tell you what guage wire you need for the length you are running it and if your dash switch can handle that amperage...

Regardless if you are using a relay or going direct thru a switch, you should use a chart like this to determine what guage wire you gotta run back to your power source. I wouldnt think most of those rocker dash switches could handle much more than 10-15amps if even that, before getting hot and burning up... but check that aginst the specs provided by the Tsunami and rocker switch manufacturers...

One more consideration...say your rocker switch is rated for 10amps... and both your pumps pull a 8A load combined.. but you have a 20ft run to your power source... that switch aint gonna cut it... the length of the run increases the strain on your switch the same as it would on the wire... likely a relay is going to be your best bet.

Edited by nyryan2001

I would use this switch as it is rated to 30 amps and fits the Malibu dash nicely. I just wired one in my boat and it was very easy. I simply pulled out an ACC switch and put this one in. Also, this switch come with directions and material list on how to wire the exact setup you speak of.

Edited by msuwaterski

I would use this switch as it is rated to 30 amps and fits the Malibu dash nicely. I just wired one in my boat and it was very easy. I simply pulled out an ACC switch and put this one in. Also, this switch come with directions and material list on how to wire the exact setup you speak of.

This is the exact switch i got, however they did not send the wiring diagram with it. Is there anyway you could tell me what goes to each connection on the back of the switch?

This is the exact switch i got, however they did not send the wiring diagram with it. Is there anyway you could tell me what goes to each connection on the back of the switch?

Did you buy from wakemakers? Their add specifically says that a wiring diagram is included. If you did not get one I would call them, they are very helpful (even if you did not buy from them).

Did you buy from wakemakers? Their add specifically says that a wiring diagram is included. If you did not get one I would call them, they are very helpful (even if you did not buy from them).

Yea i called them, the emailed it to me, so i should be all set now.

Thanks