Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

700 hr maintenance

I’ve got a 99 response with Monsoon engine; I’m original owner. I’ve changed the spark plugs, distributor cap, and wires once at about 300 hrs. I couldn’t get the old rotating thing off of the distributor to save my life, so the original is still on there.

Frankly, the sparkplugs look good. The wires have no cracks or anything. The distributor cap has minimal pitting. The boat’s top end is maybe a couple hundred rpm short, but I figure that is a function of the hours.

1) Do you guys really bother to change these things as preventative maintenance?

2) How do you get the rotating thing of the distributor? It is allegedly press fit, but it feels like it is going to break when I pull.

I have seen them stuck on purdy good before also. if you have the new one go ahead and break it once you get it off you will fix it with the new one. :yahoo: . in the extreme case you could take a hacksaw blade and patiently saw a notch verticle in line with the shaft in the side of the rotor (by hand ) stick a screw driver in the cut and break the rotor so it will release from the shaft.

Even though you only have two posts on this site, you can still be kicked off of here for not maintaining your boat properly. Your boat is still a world class slalom machine. Please treat it right.

Flap Jack,

You def. need to replace that rotor (aka old "rotating thing")

Break it if you have to, who cares? You've got a new one to go on.

Just clean up the shaft it came off of with some sand paper and put a little dielectric grease on the shaft when you put the new rotor on.

martinarcher

Flap Jack,

You def. need to replace that rotor (aka old "rotating thing")

Break it if you have to, who cares? You've got a new one to go on.

Just clean up the shaft it came off of with some sand paper and put a little dielectric grease on the shaft when you put the new rotor on.

Just an FYI shaft doesn't conduct electricity, the springy thingy on top of the rotor does. Thumbup.gif

Pete means to use dielectric grease to keep the shaft from corroding and making the rotor hard to remove in the future.

Any yes, a cap, rotor, plugs and wires are all good things to change on a 300 hr interval. Might want to add the fuel filter to the list as well.

I assume you change oil twice a season or so depending on use?

Oh yeah....Welcome.gif

Even though you only have two posts on this site, you can still be kicked off of here for not maintaining your boat properly. Your boat is still a world class slalom machine. Please treat it right.

Be nice now. After all, he did want to replace the rotating thing. :biggrin:

Be nice now. After all, he did want to replace the rotating thing. :biggrin:

I was just joking. :yahoo: Where I live, I see so many boats that aren't taken care of...just gets under your skin.

Edited by eyepeeler

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Sawing a crack in the ROTOR and breaking it off sounds like a good solution. I was worried if I pulled any harder on the ROTOR that I could damage the distributor.

Just for you peace of mind, I do change the oil and transmission fluid religiously.

Thanks!