Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Rehab

Perfect! Nice job. Let's see it on the boat!

Nice sawhorses. I have those too.

Hopefully I can get some time to pull the gas tank and get the wedge and platform mounted next weekend. Of course I'll post pics when I've done it... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I did get the wedge and platform mounted this weekend. Please ignore the general haziness of the gelcoat. I had spent several hours wetsanding to get rid of the oxidized outline of my old graphics. I haven't used compound or polish yet, so it doesn't look nearly as nice as it will once it's all polished and new graphics installed. However, you can see what the wedge and platform look like installed after my rehab of them. Took most of the time just lining up the mounting plate. The drilling and assembly was easy.

You can note that not even the drain plug was centered on the boat, nor were the exhaust outlets. You have to take your time and measure from fixed points on the hull itself, with many, many double-checks since you're mounting to something with very few reference points. I was scared that I was way off because of this, be everything lines up beautifully when you compare it to the rudder and prop, which I assume are much more likely to be precisely located on the boat.

I ended up mounting the wedge 1 3/8" from the bottom of the hull for a vertical reference, in case anyone was interested.

image_url-14611-1306362267.jpg

image_url-14611-1306362286.jpg

image_url-14611-1306362307.jpg

image_url-14611-1306362323.jpg

Edited by ecadwell

i like your NSX!

Thanks! I'm surprised no one else had pointed it out in the pics. I've gotta have fun on land and on water, right?

Looks great. SHow us some pics of the transom after you polish it out!

You mean like this??? :) Finished wetsanding (started at 400 in some areas, and went to 2000 grit), then 3M Marine Rubbing compound, followed by 3M Finesse-It II Polish. I then installed all of my updated graphics before moving on to the waxing stage with Collonite wax. These pictures are taken BEFORE waxing the boat, but after installation of the graphics, so it's already looking like a new boat. You can't tell that this boat is 15 years old any more.

image_url-14611-1307048899.jpg

image_url-14611-1307048880.jpg

image_url-14611-1307048857.jpg

image_url-14611-1307048919.jpg

Registration numbers are from 3D Lettering, and they complement the other graphics well. However, the purple got a LOT darker after I restored the gelcoat compared to its oxidized state, so I'm hoping that Sheriff Smiley doesn't give me too much grief about the black/silver letters over a newly-dark purple...

martinarcher

Sweet! I love threads showing off people's hard work and effort to keep their boats looking good! This one looks like new again! Very nice job.

I'm mad I missed the NSX in the pics above!! :Doh: Too busy looking at the boat!