Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

marine grade wire?

scott_fx

Hey guys,

since my boat is practically gutted while getting the upholstery done, i'm going to take the time to rewire my ballast pumps and upgraded to led lighting. What is the crew using on their installs? marine grade or regular copper wire?

if i need marine grade, do you have a recommended inexpensive vendor suggestion?

Edited by scott_fx

copper doesn't rust so I use standard. However, I do make sure to shrink wrap well.

Use standard wire and if you are worried about corrosion, rust, oxidation, etc use some Liquid Wire Insulation on the connections. Has worked well for me. Or use heat shirink tubing.

Bottom line is that unless you live on or near saltwater then I wouldn't worry about it.

Use standard wire and if you are worried about corrosion, rust, oxidation, etc use some Liquid Wire Insulation on the connections. Has worked well for me. Or use heat shirink tubing.

Bottom line is that unless you live on or near saltwater then I wouldn't worry about it.

great. off to monoprice. :)

thank you

if you are looking to seal using shrink tubing there is a variety of shrink that has an inner liner that melts as the outer layer is shrinking.

i'd lean towards using that.

if that splice is in the bilge i would follow that shrink tubing with a silicone tape wrap.

if you are looking to seal using shrink tubing there is a variety of shrink that has an inner liner that melts as the outer layer is shrinking.

i'd lean towards using that.

if that splice is in the bilge i would follow that shrink tubing with a silicone tape wrap.

hmm, i've never even heard of that kind of shrink tubing. does it have a name to help me with my search?

hmm, i've never even heard of that kind of shrink tubing. does it have a name to help me with my search?

It's marine shrink tubing. Weatherproof butt connectors are just as good, they have the same stuff inside them. Makes a waterproof seal once done. You can get those at hope depot.

Also available at your friendly neighborhood chinese toolmart for $1.99 for a pack of 10:

image_7876.jpg

http://www.harborfre...tors-66596.html

that's not going to waterproof.

take a look at this adhesive lined shrink tubing.

not sure if the filter will be applied if you follow that link.

if it's not applied just check the adhesive lined check-box and filter.

that's not going to waterproof.

take a look at this adhesive lined shrink tubing.

not sure if the filter will be applied if you follow that link.

if it's not applied just check the adhesive lined check-box and filter.

Dang, man, do I have to click the link for you too?

Description of Storehouse 66596

Ideal for marine and offroad applications, these heat-shrink connectors are adhesive lined to prevent water from penetrating.

• Tinned copper for maximum current flow
  • Heat shrink to create an instant water-resistant seal
  • Organized storage case
  • Color coded to industry standards

Sizes: (10) 14-16 AWGDimensions: 1.08" L x 1.6" W x 1.09" HWeight: 0.05 lbs.

Dang, man, do I have to click the link for you too?

i don't do disagreements very well but i will post this one last time in this topic.

i've worked at one of the foremost testing labs in the world for more than 32 years.

all of that time has been spend collecting real world data from customer owned automobiles; a pretty nasty environment.

i've installed miles of multi-conductor teflon coated shielded wire to strain gauged components that have managed to stay healthy for years in the field.

i can tell you that, without a doubt, i would not trust that connector to stay water tight overnight.

yes, the people selling it say it's water-tight. i strongly suspect that they are hoping to sell some of their product.

if you want a healthy connection it will be soldered, not crimped, and it will have much more water intrusion protection.

can you look at that connector and really believe it's going to maintain integrity?

i can guarantee that if it does it's just by luck. not in my boat.

i don't do disagreements very well but i will post this one last time in this topic.

i've worked at one of the foremost testing labs in the world for more than 32 years.

all of that time has been spend collecting real world data from customer owned automobiles; a pretty nasty environment.

i've installed miles of multi-conductor teflon coated shielded wire to strain gauged components that have managed to stay healthy for years in the field.

i can tell you that, without a doubt, i would not trust that connector to stay water tight overnight.

yes, the people selling it say it's water-tight. i strongly suspect that they are hoping to sell some of their product.

if you want a healthy connection it will be soldered, not crimped, and it will have much more water intrusion protection.

can you look at that connector and really believe it's going to maintain integrity?

i can guarantee that if it does it's just by luck. not in my boat.

fair enough. It sounds like your concern is more about crimping vs. soldering? I.e. that adhesive lined heat shrink over a crimp connection is inferior to adhesive lined heat shrink over a soldered connection? I don't think anyone would argue with that (I won't).

Not picking a fight at all and if you have expertise, please share!

As for the connectors, I've used the ones I linked to and I've used the 3M branded ones that home depot sells. FWIW, I can't tell the difference between them once crimped and heated.

:plus1:

All of my connections are crimped, soldered, and coated with liquid insulation.

OK, now I totally feel ignorant.... how do you crimp and solder the same connection?

Yeah we saw your first link to this website in this thread :whistle:

BTW those cost twice what others have linked to without the shipping costs.

Maybe you should look a little closer and see how the context of the thread changed you dumb donkey

We were oringally talking about wire and I posted a link to wire. The thread changed to connectors and I posted a link to connectors.

Maybe you should look a little closer and see how the context of the thread changed you dumb donkey

We were oringally talking about wire and I posted a link to wire. The thread changed to connectors and I posted a link to connectors.

Dumb donkey LOL, what a child. I said link to that website retard. Funy you calling me a dumb donkey after your rediculous Exile rant.