Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dang Trailer Tires!

theaslip

We put a man on the moon 40 years ago, but can't make a trailer tire that lasts more than a couple years. I guess storing them just eats them up???

Picked-up my boat from my dealer this morning (had to get spider cracks & gel goat repaired on the bottom hull - - see previous post). Not even 10 miles on the highway - sidewall blowout. Fortunately it was contained, and no damage to the fender, or worse, the boat. My 4th highway blowout since buying my first boat. They don't get any more enjoyable with age...and this is the second time that the only place to stop was adjacent to a highway on-ramp with very limited shoulder. Deep breath.

post-14351-021745400 1302199296_thumb.jp

Underinflation is the number one culprit of tire blow outs.

On a trailer tire always ensure that they are inflated to the maximum cold pressure (when cold obviously). The pressure will increase with heat of normal use.

Peter

Time is just as hard on tires as miles, especially if you aren't driving on them. I also like to get the sturdiest tires that will fit on the rims, as the stock ones usually are insufficient and I replace them every three years regardless of tread wear. There is nothing worse than getting a flat coming home from the lake, except for getting one on the way there.

http://www.cedarrapi...afety-and-facts

Edited by jjackkrash

I see you have a single axle trailer... so we can rule out proper trailer height... lots of folks w/ double axle trailers ride their trailers too high in the front, and when they make turns it really grinds down on those rear tires scraping them across the payment, past the pivot point which is the front tires...

I think there is a huge range in quality in the ST or trailer tires... pay 59$ a tire and you are likely to get junk. I had to replace a tire once and got jammed and had to buy higher load rated tires because thats all the local store had on the shelf.. I think they were 6 or 10 ply... versus 2-4 ply ??? which is the cheapie standard most trailers some with... that 1 tire outlasted 2 sets of cheapies and continued to look near new...

I dont know if it was a result of the higher load rating, or higher quality tire, or both... but it was something...

14" trailer tires all the same sizes come in different load ratings and different qualities for sure... Something to look into..

Edited by nyryan2001

Good points - the tires I have now (blowout) are Goodyear Marathon 225/75 15 Load Range D. I overinflate by 10 psi per Goodyear's website, and raise the trailer off the ground for prolonged storage. These tires are 3 years old. From now on I will replace every 2-years.....

Question for the Crew...

My rims are load range D, max PSI in the 70-ish range.

Any thoughts on whether it is better to put a Load Range E tire on the D rim, but only inflate to the max allowed by the rim (75), and not the 80 that the tire calls for?

Good points - the tires I have now (blowout) are Goodyear Marathon 225/75 15 Load Range D. I overinflate by 10 psi per Goodyear's website, and raise the trailer off the ground for prolonged storage. These tires are 3 years old. From now on I will replace every 2-years.....

Question for the Crew...

My rims are load range D, max PSI in the 70-ish range.

Any thoughts on whether it is better to put a Load Range E tire on the D rim, but only inflate to the max allowed by the rim (75), and not the 80 that the tire calls for?

I would not overinflate the tires. If the tire says max psi of 52 I would inflate to 45 psi. This came directly from my tire guy at Goodyear. I have had good luck with Marathons - I just replaced my set after 5 full seasons trailering 100 miles every weekend in the summer. Finally blew one out at the end of the season last year - I guess I pushed my luck.

We put a man on the moon 40 years ago, but can't make a trailer tire that lasts more than a couple years. I guess storing them just eats them up???

I spy a Tundra mirror!

:)

Load Range D Tires are generally maximum 65 PSI.. Load Range E tires are maximum 80 PSI.

I am one of the raving lunatics on the site that PREACHES high load range tires. I am not in the majority. Many of the threads about tires on this site are from the younger (than 65) guys that are wanting to put low aspect ratio sports car tires on their trailers.

Here is my rant again. Spend money on upgrading the load rating of your trailer tires. I stepped up a wheel size and tire size and a load range. I raised my fender height in order to accomodate the larger tires. I have been towing my own boat since 1972. I have never had a trailer tire failure not have I had a bearing failure and I trailer a lot and at high speed. I have not carried a trailer spare since about 1980.

By changing out my tires frequently I have avoided not getting to the lake in record time to be the guy that skis on glass water. Same thing on the bearings. Repack them every couple of years and keep the bearing buddies in fresh grease. I like the blue green marine stuff.

My boat trailer sits in my garage 340 days a year where nobody cares that I have the white painted spoke trailer wheels, especially me. Wheel bling is a waste of good money on a boat trailer, for my application. I'll see you at the lake. I'm the guy that stole your glass water while you had the unfortunate mishap that delayed your arrival. :crazy:

Rant over. Don't mind me. I'm just bummed that I just had my 65th birthday. That's what happens when they take away your privileges and all you get is oatmeal. Bah ! Humbug ! ........ :cry:

So what wheel size, tires size and brand are you running?

225/75 15 on 15" aluminum wheels (everything from Boatmate - don't know the actual wheel mfr.).

Tires are Goodyear Marathon Load Range D - same size as above.

So maybe you can help me. Would you put a LR E tire on a D aluminum rim? I really don't want to buy new wheels....

Yes.

If you go to Tire Rack site you can get the load rating of each individual tire you are considering.

It will be stated in pounds .

My plan is the highest weight rating you can find that will fit your current wheel.

There are more choices in the 15" and 16 " diameters than other sizes.

You will also find that in order to get a D rating on a 14" tire you may have to buy it from Tire Rack because you cannot get them locally.

225/75 15 on 15" aluminum wheels (everything from Boatmate - don't know the actual wheel mfr.).

Tires are Goodyear Marathon Load Range D - same size as above.

The load rating on that tire is 2540 pounds at 65 psi.

Actually that is pretty good.

Carlisle makes a trailer tire in Load Range E that has a weight rating of 2830 # .

Same size 225/75 - 15. You have to inflate to 80 # to get that load rating.

The tire carcass itself is much stronger to take that PSI which is why I preach that as the way to go for trailer tires. Who cares if the ride is rough.

The load rating on that tire is 2540 pounds at 65 psi.

Actually that is pretty good.

Carlisle makes a trailer tire in Load Range E that has a weight rating of 2830 # .

Same size 225/75 - 15. You have to inflate to 80 # to get that load rating.

The tire carcass itself is much stronger to take that PSI which is why I preach that as the way to go for trailer tires. Who cares if the ride is rough.

So - I am better off running a Load Range E tire @ 65 PSI than a Load Range D tire @ 65 PSI (even though I am not getting the max Load Range capability of the LR E tire, because my wheel doesn't allow me to inflate to 80)?

Yes.

Load Range E tire weighs 30.5 pounds

Load Range D tire weighs 29.4 pounds

Load Range C tire weighs 28.5 pounds

The extra weight is in the cords they build the tire around.

That is why the E will take 80 PSI, the D will take 65 PSI, and the C will take 50 PSI.

Load Range D Tires are generally maximum 65 PSI.. Load Range E tires are maximum 80 PSI.

I am one of the raving lunatics on the site that PREACHES high load range tires. I am not in the majority. Many of the threads about tires on this site are from the younger (than 65) guys that are wanting to put low aspect ratio sports car tires on their trailers.

Here is my rant again. Spend money on upgrading the load rating of your trailer tires. I stepped up a wheel size and tire size and a load range. I raised my fender height in order to accomodate the larger tires. I have been towing my own boat since 1972. I have never had a trailer tire failure not have I had a bearing failure and I trailer a lot and at high speed. I have not carried a trailer spare since about 1980.

By changing out my tires frequently I have avoided not getting to the lake in record time to be the guy that skis on glass water. Same thing on the bearings. Repack them every couple of years and keep the bearing buddies in fresh grease. I like the blue green marine stuff.

My boat trailer sits in my garage 340 days a year where nobody cares that I have the white painted spoke trailer wheels, especially me. Wheel bling is a waste of good money on a boat trailer, for my application. I'll see you at the lake. I'm the guy that stole your glass water while you had the unfortunate mishap that delayed your arrival. :crazy:

Rant over. Don't mind me. I'm just bummed that I just had my 65th birthday. That's what happens when they take away your privileges and all you get is oatmeal. Bah ! Humbug ! ........ :cry:

Epic post! And it was number 666! :notworthy:

So - I am better off running a Load Range E tire @ 65 PSI than a Load Range D tire @ 65 PSI (even though I am not getting the max Load Range capability of the LR E tire, because my wheel doesn't allow me to inflate to 80)?

Why woudn't your wheel allow you to inflate higher?? Are you sure there's a weight rating on the actual wheel???

Go up to a better tire and your problems should be solved.

I have Carlisle 225/75-15 Load Range D for my Response and haven't had a problem. Your boat is a lot heavier then mine. So I would go with Load Range "E". How many lugnuts does your trailer have?

Edited by CumminsBu