Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you remove the Power Wedge...?

IXFE

I'm in the market for a new boat, but I have garage restrictions... I really want a VLX, and it would fit, but the power wedge in the back makes it too long.

During the boating season, I don't mind parking a car in the driveway, so I can keep the VLX in the garage (diagonal). But in the winter, I'm going to want my cars back in the garage.

So, is it possible to remove the power wedge and bracket for the winter months???

Power_Wedge_800.jpg

I'm in the market for a new boat, but I have garage restrictions... I really want a VLX, and it would fit, but the power wedge in the back makes it too long.

During the boating season, I don't mind parking a car in the driveway, so I can keep the VLX in the garage (diagonal). But in the winter, I'm going to want my cars back in the garage.

So, is it possible to remove the power wedge and bracket for the winter months???

Power_Wedge_800.jpg

Can you lower the wedge for storage?

I would not want to remove the wedge. You have the sensor and ram which you you would have to somehow remove or cut the wires plus the bolts are probably sealed so you would have to reseal.

Edited by old skool malibu

Or either sell the pw, which is tough to recommend, or find a boat w/ the floating wedge. The VTX may work depending on your garage depth. But removing the wedge every season isn't really a practical solution.

VTX isn't the solution. I thought it was going to be the magic bullet for me also. Everthing was great untill I got the new boat home and realized they put the VTX and VLX on the same trailer blank. The bow stop is just moved back for the VTX. BUMMER. I really wanted to be able to park it in straight for the same reasons. long story short, NO GO. Still have to c*** 'er sideways a tad.

VTX isn't the solution. I thought it was going to be the magic bullet for me also. Everthing was great untill I got the new boat home and realized they put the VTX and VLX on the same trailer blank. The bow stop is just moved back for the VTX. BUMMER. I really wanted to be able to park it in straight for the same reasons. long story short, NO GO. Still have to c*** 'er sideways a tad.

Yes, I sold the MB, just yesterday as a matter of fact. I'd rather have a VLX. I just like them better. If what you say is true about the VTX trailer, that's a real shame. Sounds like taking the wedge off is not a good idea. Thanks.

I'm also looking at Supra 21V and MB F21.

Yes, I sold the MB, just yesterday as a matter of fact. I'd rather have a VLX. I just like them better. If what you say is true about the VTX trailer, that's a real shame. Sounds like taking the wedge off is not a good idea. Thanks.

I'm also looking at Supra 21V and MB F21.

There are more than one trailer manufacturer out there. I would be very surprised to see the same trailer length on the VTX and VLX on an Extreme trailer. What is the total lenght you need to be under? Mine fits in the 24 foot garage with the platform on straight in. So my inside length is closer to 23 feet. For what it is worth my 07 VTX was on an Extreme. I followed your posts on Wakeworld when you were in the hunt for a new boat last time.

Good luck,

Trent

My 05 and 07 were both on Exreme trailers and the trailer length was exactly the same between the two. Boat was shorter, but trailer was the same. Very depressing when I got it home. Looking at pictures of the two different boats, you can see the the bow stop is just moved back on the VTX. I have 22.5 feet to work with, the boat would fit fine....off the trailer. But I guess it will all depend on the trailer you end up getting with the new ride.

Edited by Bawshogg

I am surprised by that. Like I said, I have max interior of 23ft. I even have a few inches front and rear. I will grab a tape measure in the am and do and actual measurement of the garage. I ordered and Extreme for the new boat. I hope it fits. :rant:

my extreme trailer on my vlx was a little shorter than the boat with the tongue swung away. My extreme trailer now.is the same length as the boat. Weird.