Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New graphics for the old boat

I've been thinking about replacing the graphics on my 97 SSVLX. I actually pulled off the rear decal earlier this summer because it was starting to peel. I gave some thought to ordering the original graphics all around but after playing with photoshop a little, I'm really liking the silver color. My favorites so far for the side are the silver 05 WS graphics and for the rear, I really like the new 06 in silver. What do you think.

Original:

Original.JPG

05 graphics with matching silver drip mold VLX in rear and registration numbers:

boat%20-%202005%20graphics%20-%20with%20VLX.jpg

And for the rear,

Original:

afterandteak.jpg

06 silver:

rear%20graphic.jpg

I like the 06 side graphic better but it looks taller and I'm not sure if it would fit in the white space on the side of my boat. The 05 may be too tall for that matter but I seem to remember seeing some other older boats with the 05 graphics.

Now I'm just hoping for lots of Christmas $$$. Christmas.gif

Just as something else to look at, I had a graphic like yours on my '01 SSVLX and decided to go with the "tatoo" graphic vs. the tribal. I think it's off of an '02 or '03. It was available in either tan or silver. Tan matched mine better. Depending on the condition of your hull, be prepared for gell fading when you pull the old decal off. You can wetsand and buff it out before putting the new one on. Oh, and you probably know that you can put on the decal minus the wakesetter "W". IMO, it's one thing to update the graphics, but I didn't want to advertise it as a wakesetter when it's not.

887.jpg

f_boat_desc--887_437.jpg

Edited by vette-ski
Just as something else to look at, I had a graphic like yours on my '01 SSVLX and decided to go with the "tatoo" graphic vs. the tribal.  I think it's off of an '02 or '03.  It was available in either tan or silver.  Tan matched mine better.  Depending on the condition of your hull, be prepared for gell fading when you pull the old decal off.  You can wetsand and buff it out before putting the new one on.  Oh, and you probably know that you can put on the decal minus the wakesetter "W".  IMO, it's one thing to update the graphics, but I didn't want to advertise it as a wakesetter when it's not. 

I actually tried that one first since the originals were the gold graphics. I really like the silver 06 rear graphic though and wanted to keep the colors consistent. After I tried the 05 graphics, I really like it better.

When I pulled off the rear decal earlier this year, there was some fading and I had to do the wetsanding thing so that's no big deal. How hard is it to remove the W from the 05 side graphics. Is it in separate pieces or do you have to cut it?

Edit: By the way, Ronnie, I think I used one of your pics from the other site to use to photoshop my pics. Thanks.

Josh

Edited by josh_tn
How hard is it to remove the W from the 05 side graphics. Is it in separate pieces or do you have to cut it?

I'm not sure on the newer tribal graphics. On the one I used, the "W" fell inside of the oval. I cut the W out to save it, or I could have just peeled the "W" off and threw it away before sticking it to the boat. The Malibu wording is drip mold that is an entirely separate piece - it would either stick on top of the "W" or in the empty oval like I did. But, on the graphic you posted I don't see the same oval outline. It all looks like one piece. So to remove the "W", you may have to leave the whole center piece out alltogether. Not sure how that would look with just the tribal and Malibu wording - the tribal is shaped to go around an oval shape. Something to think about.

How about plain drip molds that just say Malibu (no sun)?  That boat is so classy....

Thanks Wakegirl, I hadn't thought of that. I will play around and see how that looks. The clean look is always good. I would think black would look best on the side but on the rear, it might not show up well since its dark green. I'll try out the sides in black and silver and see how that looks.

The black ones with silver trim show up surprisingly well on dark colors, YMMV of course. They do make an inverted style this year with silver in the forefront & black as the outline, so that may be an option on the transom (you have a photoshopped pic up there with it in the middle of the new tribals).

Ok, I here's the pic with the drip mold black Malibu.

boat%20-%20plain%20malibu.jpg

I really like this look but I'm torn between this one and the 05 WS graphic in silver. I definitely like the 06 tribal and silver drip mold "MALIBU" for the rear because the silver stands out so much on the dark green.

Josh

man, tough choice. I look at one and think that is the one. then I look at another and it looks good too.

I don't think you will be disapointed with whatever your decision is.

The only thing I would say is that the newer graphics make you boat seem newer, if that is important to you.

man, tough choice. I look at one and think that is the one. then I look at another and it looks good too.

The only thing I would say is that the newer graphics make you boat seem newer, if that is important to you.

I know what you mean. The point about the newer graphics is the main reason I'm leaning that direction. With the 06 rear graphic, the plain drip mold on the side may seem out of place. I'm still not completely decided but right now I am leaning more towards the newer ones.

Totally agree.

Ok, I here's the pic with the drip mold black Malibu.

boat%20-%20plain%20malibu.jpg

I really like this look but I'm torn between this one and the 05 WS graphic in silver. I definitely like the 06 tribal and silver drip mold "MALIBU" for the rear because the silver stands out so much on the dark green.

Josh

PM J-Ro for a pic of his, I think you might like it.

Good call Mark.  J-Ro's boat looks great.

Ditto on that..the clean look. No stickers on the sides and drip molds on the rear and back corners. If/when my side sitckers are in need of removal I'll probably just go stealth. No sense in spending $$$ imho.

• 1 month later...

I like it with the new logo on it! have you tried photoshoping the 06 logo onto it??? that could also look pretty cool.

I like it with the new logo on it! have you tried photoshoping the 06 logo onto it??? that could also look pretty cool.

I haven't tried it because after seeing it, it is much taller than the previous years graphics and I don't think it would fit. ICBW though.

Does anyone know the dimensions on say the 05 vs the 06 as far as height?

• 1 month later...

I like the 05 graphic!! Just looks great to me. I'm almost ready to order a new 06 VLX and have been considering the 05 graphic. Malibu is just the coolest, I asked the area rep at a boat show in NY about getting 05 graphics. He simply said YES.

Sorry to distract your post with my excitement!!! Can't wait to get mine on order.

This is my first post, thanks for getting me going!!

Edited by SURFRAY