Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need advice...

JDubya

Been watching this ad for a few weeks. Has got my wheels turning.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2304457432.html

He is asking $20k for a 2004 Wakesetter XTI with a "blown rod". While I know quite a bit about minor engine repair, I would not tackle a rebuild myself and rather have reputable shop do it jsut for the POM.

All things considered do you guys think the ecomnomics would pay out in my favor. Not sure I would be saving much if I got in there and it was a worst case scnario. Don't know much details on the circumstances (engine, how extensive the damage is, what the causwe was, etc.) just wanted the crew's opinon given the fact he is asking 20K and the engine is blown.

Doing the math in my head anythign under 18K would most likely be a win and worth pursuing.

And go.....

3k13me3p45Y55W05R6b4460ea4b3e22941fcb.jpg3kd3m53pb5U25P35S2b443259a43b31f51d2f.jpg

Edited by JDubya

Seems like bent rods are usually caused by hydrolocking the engine..... which means it sucked water into the intake or the engine/head cracked to leak water into the cylinder while it was running. Either way your looking at a $4k or $5k bill to have a pro build a new engine for you. Which puts your bottom line at close to $25k or more....... for a 7 yr old boat.

And XTIs are one of those boats that have a slightly smaller target market than a v-drive. Skiers, foil riders & those that don't know/care will be into it when it comes to resale. Don't get me wrong, they have all the Malibu quality. They put out a good wake for a variety of disciplines, just not a great wake. My brother & a really good buddy of mine have XTIs & we enjoy the heck out of them. But reading what other people say, it's not most people's first choice.

I'm thinking he's priced a bit too high to make it worthwhile. If you can get him down to $18k.... or less.... it becomes more worthy IMO.

He is "asking" 20k. I would hope that you would end up around the 17.5k mark which would make it more worth your while. Like Bill said the XTI isnt for everyone.

And XTIs are one of those boats that have a slightly smaller target market than a v-drive. Skiers, foil riders & those that don't know/care will be into it when it comes to resale. Don't get me wrong, they have all the Malibu quality. They put out a good wake for a variety of disciplines, just not a great wake. My brother & a really good buddy of mine have XTIs & we enjoy the heck out of them. But reading what other people say, it's not most people's first choice.

I'm thinking he's priced a bit too high to make it worthwhile. If you can get him down to $18k.... or less.... it becomes more worthy IMO.

Bill, that is precicsely what the allure is for me. While my wife and I are novices at best wakeboarder schene, I was raised a skier and still like to carve up a few sets everytime I am out. The XTI would be a good boat for us and a nice upgrade from he Echelon. The lower price point would work in my favor as we would like to move up but don't have the disposable funds to jump into a late model vdrive currently.

Your assessment affirms my orginal thoughts. I'll wait till a few others chime in before making an call but just wanted a sanity check. Thanks!

Cool. Sounds like your on the right page. Will be interesting to hear what condition the rest of the boat is in. :rockon:

Gonna try and give the guy a call tonight and feel it out. I'll report back and keep the crew updated.

Forget rebuilds if your goal is resale drop in a brand new GM longblock for around $3k w/ the gaskets and everything and you're all set. Just make sure you find out what went boom on the original engine.

The reality is a buyer is much happier seeing "new" engine versus "rebuilt" if you're paying someone the cost is usually about equal, except a longblock you can DIY if you're reasonably mechanically inclined. Plus someone with more knowhow will buy the blown engine off you to rebuild themselves.

-Chris

Forget rebuilds if your goal is resale drop in a brand new GM longblock for around $3k w/ the gaskets and everything and you're all set. Just make sure you find out what went boom on the original engine.

The reality is a buyer is much happier seeing "new" engine versus "rebuilt" if you're paying someone the cost is usually about equal, except a longblock you can DIY if you're reasonably mechanically inclined. Plus someone with more knowhow will buy the blown engine off you to rebuild themselves.

-Chris

This would be a way foe me to get into a new boat for substantially less than buying one at market price. Not so much looking to flip it for a profit.

Bill, that is precicsely what the allure is for me. While my wife and I are novices at best wakeboarder schene, I was raised a skier and still like to carve up a few sets everytime I am out. The XTI would be a good boat for us and a nice upgrade from he Echelon. The lower price point would work in my favor as we would like to move up but don't have the disposable funds to jump into a late model vdrive currently.

Your assessment affirms my orginal thoughts. I'll wait till a few others chime in before making an call but just wanted a sanity check. Thanks!

LOL, I moved from an Echelon to an XTI myself! We love the XTI!

Low retail without any options on the 2004 XTI is $25,590...throw in a nice trailer (which it appears to have), tower, etc. and I would say if the boat is otherwise sweet, something in the high teens is an incredible deal - even at $20K it is a good deal IMO. If you are mechanically inclined a new shortblock is a few $ and you can assume all the top end parts can transfer over to it.

If you are in the DFW area, I have had Wayne Calvert performance engines in Denton build a few Mustang engines for me. He is amazing and reasonably priced.

-- Mike

This would be a way foe me to get into a new boat for substantially less than buying one at market price. Not so much looking to flip it for a profit.

Still a good option if you're comfortable doing the work yourself, and it can get you on the water in much less time.

But if you know a GOOD shop to rebuild the engine and you do the removal/install yourself, go that way and save some cash.

WMH - I have thought about this a few times and wondered how I might be able to get some comfort around this. Right now it would probably shed some light on the situation if I simpley knew what caused the failure.

I am fairly mechanical and would have no problem swapping the long block as I have wrenched the majority of my life. My chief concern is trying to get a clear understnaing as to what the conditions were that led to the engine failure and ruling out any additional issues with the tranny, electrical, etc.

If it is just isolated to the engine then I think it is worth pursuing and hageling. Hopefully it is just as simple as swapping the engine.

With regards to Bill's comments anyone have experience dissassembling the interior of an XTI? I am thinking it might be a little more complicated than a vdrive but seems totally doable.

WMH - I have thought about this a few times and wondered how I might be able to get some comfort around this. Right now it would probably shed some light on the situation if I simpley knew what caused the failure.

I am fairly mechanical and would have no problem swapping the long block as I have wrenched the majority of my life. My chief concern is trying to get a clear understnaing as to what the conditions were that led to the engine failure and ruling out any additional issues with the tranny, electrical, etc.

If it is just isolated to the engine then I think it is worth pursuing and hageling. Hopefully it is just as simple as swapping the engine.

With regards to Bill's comments anyone have experience dissassembling the interior of an XTI? I am thinking it might be a little more complicated than a vdrive but seems totally doable.

The interior is a non-issue, and I'd bet my bottom dollar its easier than a v-drive. You'll obviously have to loose the motorcover, the side panels (they pop out), the rear facing cushion bases and seat back and then remove the metal frame around the whole thing, couple hours work but no big deal. I've taken apart the rear of those a couple times but never had to pull an engine.

As for the transmission, those things are fairly bullet proof and I wouldn't worry too much. I would replace the damper plate during the rebuild to the newer style.

If you had a burnt piston or mushroomed valve I'd be worried about additional issues, but a thrown rod I'd just be looking hard at those manifolds.

The interior is a non-issue, and I'd bet my bottom dollar its easier than a v-drive. You'll obviously have to loose the motorcover, the side panels (they pop out), the rear facing cushion bases and seat back and then remove the metal frame around the whole thing, couple hours work but no big deal. I've taken apart the rear of those a couple times but never had to pull an engine.

As for the transmission, those things are fairly bullet proof and I wouldn't worry too much. I would replace the damper plate during the rebuild to the newer style.

If you had a burnt piston or mushroomed valve I'd be worried about additional issues, but a thrown rod I'd just be looking hard at those manifolds.

Thanks for the pointers...still trying to get ahold of the guy.

-Chris

+1 and it's a great looking boat if you've got the time and the place to do the motor swap. I agree with the concern relative to what caused the initial problem. We did have a few "cold days" the past several winters which could have lead to the problem. I'll be interested to hear what he says. Heck, I can call him too if you'd like to see if we get the same story.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Mike

+1 and it's a great looking boat if you've got the time and the place to do the motor swap. I agree with the concern relative to what caused the initial problem. We did have a few "cold days" the past several winters which could have lead to the problem. I'll be interested to hear what he says. Heck, I can call him too if you'd like to see if we get the same story.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

That would be great if you could try contacting him just to see. At this point I would be happy if anyone could get him to return a phone call and find out what the story is. You would think he would be motivated to sell it given the perdiciment he is in.

Thanks Mike,

That would be great if you could try contacting him just to see. At this point I would be happy if anyone could get him to return a phone call and find out what the story is. You would think he would be motivated to sell it given the perdiciment he is in.

I'd be happy to and I'll let you know if and when I hear anything. :rockon:

PM me his number. I just tried to pull up the listing on CL and it's been removed, WTH?

Edited by Hammertime

I'd be happy to and I'll let you know if and when I hear anything. :rockon:

PM me his number. I just tried to pull up the listing on CL and it's been removed, WTH?

Yeah, I get the suspicion that it might be sold since he has taken down the ad and won't return my calls. At the least he could do me the coutsey and call me back.

979-334-2455, his name is Bill (according to the ad).

Yeah, I get the suspicion that it might be sold since he has taken down the ad and won't return my calls. At the least he could do me the coutsey and call me back.

979-334-2455, his name is Bill (according to the ad).

Sorry JDubya, looks like he's got bigger problems than the boat, now his phone has been disconnected.

Don't think this was meant to be, but I'll keep my eyes open for another opportunity similar to this one if you'd like.

I just bought a boat out of California as I travel out there on business just about every month.

Make it a great day.

Mike

Sorry JDubya, looks like he's got bigger problems than the boat, now his phone has been disconnected.

Don't think this was meant to be, but I'll keep my eyes open for another opportunity similar to this one if you'd like.

I just bought a boat out of California as I travel out there on business just about every month.

Make it a great day.

Mike

Thanks for the efforts Milke. I am always looking for the "deal." So defeinately pass along anything you find.

BTW, hope to see you on the water somtime this summer. Our first trip will be next weekend (April 16th) to our usually spot on lake Somerville. Drop me a line if you ever headed out that way. Thanks again for the help.