Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder Shudder at high speed

Just got the boat out this weekend for a post winter test run and nitcied I've got a little bit of rudder shudder when I'm going arund 40mph. Anyone ever have this and know what might be the cause?

Can you give more information.

Who winterized boat, you or dealer?

Was engine alignment touched?

Has prop been R/R since last year?

Electrical system check?

Any varmints?

Dealer winterized it, I don't beleive the engine alignment was touched, all electrical systems checked out, no varmints at least no sign of any and we did a pretty thurough clean of the boat.

We did a prop swap mid summer last year, didn't have any issues with it. Last run last year was in oct and didn't have the rudder shudder

Greased the rudder lately? Make sure it's full, I had different symptoms but found I couple pumps got rid of the shudder. Does it do it under a load (power up on trailer, ballasted, etc.)?

Sounds like something happened during winterization/de-winterization. Have you had the engine cover open for inspection while the engine is running?

Had a hundred hour service done on it in the begining of aug last year where they were supposed to grease it. Not sure how to do it myself, but do have a gfrease gun to do so. I was actually testing my new ballast bags and didn't get any shudder under load. Really only when going all out, speed wise and empty, and it's pretty slight not real loud.

Sounds like something happened during winterization/de-winterization. Have you had the engine cover open for inspection while the engine is running?

Only to check for leaks when we first put it in the water, didn't really see anything

Greased the rudder lately? Make sure it's full, I had different symptoms but found I couple pumps got rid of the shudder. Does it do it under a load (power up on trailer, ballasted, etc.)?

:plus1:

If you ruled out prop damage, try filling with grease, there should be no up and down play and if there is a couple of shots will correct.

martinarcher

Where the rudder comes into the boat, there will be two zerk's (grease fittings) on the rudder shaft housing. Put a couple pumps into each zerk. Don't go nuts with the grease. A dab will do ya. Thumbup.gif

Cool, thank you, I'll give that a try. Won't know if it worked till the first of may when the lake by our house opens. Was hoping to take itout this weekend again, but the weater looks crappy. After that it has to dry dock 15days before they will let it on the lake

martinarcher

Cool, thank you, I'll give that a try. Won't know if it worked till the first of may when the lake by our house opens. Was hoping to take itout this weekend again, but the weater looks crappy. After that it has to dry dock 15days before they will let it on the lake

Cry.gif

Geez, where are you? China?

Seems like it doesn't it.... No Colorado, standley lake, they have a 15 day quarantine of boats before they can be put on the water to prevent mussles. They open may 15th and I have to have a tag aon the boat by the 15th of april to launch may 1st

I've never heard of a quarantine. Do you take your boat to a holding site prior? I do know invasive crap can too easily ruin our waters. It can be downright tragic.

Steve B.

No you take it to them and they wash the boat with hot water, then they tag it to its trailer, if the tag is broken then you have to start over. They cut the tag and retag it at launch. As the summer gets hotter they lower the days to 11, but as it cools again towards sept they extend it back up to 15. It sucks, but the lake is really nice and the launch ramp is only a mile from my front door, plus I can store there all summer for free