Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 VLX questions

sm413

Going to look at an 04 vlx this week. Current owner said he purchased the boat after it was repoed. I asked how many hours and he acted like he isnt sure. Can the hours be pulled off the computer? Also, were single axle trailers normal for the VLX? BOat has some interior, gelcoat issues, and missing wedge. Oh yeah, has monsoon engine. How much is it worth? THanks for any help.

vlx.jpg

vlx2.jpg

vlx4.jpg

vlx3.jpg

Yes you can have a dealer get the engine hours off the engine computer. Mainly in the east single trailers are typical even for a vlx. Given the info and the pictures initially I wouldn't want to pay over 20k for that. Problem unless you can find a used wedge foil, you'll need to upgrade to a floating wedge which means new bracket and foil ~$1,200. Malibu no longer makes the other wedge. Gelcoat damage tough to say but it can get expensive in a hurry. reskinning the vinyl as well can get expensive an average individual seat your probably looking in the $200 range. Depending upon the severity of the gelcoat repair and skins you could easily have 3-4k into this afterwards. I'd definitely have a marine mechanic go through this boat and get quotes on all work before entertaining any offers.

Yes you can have a dealer get the engine hours off the engine computer. Mainly in the east single trailers are typical even for a vlx. Given the info and the pictures initially I wouldn't want to pay over 20k for that. Problem unless you can find a used wedge foil, you'll need to upgrade to a floating wedge which means new bracket and foil ~$1,200. Malibu no longer makes the other wedge. Gelcoat damage tough to say but it can get expensive in a hurry. reskinning the vinyl as well can get expensive an average individual seat your probably looking in the $200 range. Depending upon the severity of the gelcoat repair and skins you could easily have 3-4k into this afterwards. I'd definitely have a marine mechanic go through this boat and get quotes on all work before entertaining any offers.

Are the engine hours stored on the engine computer or the gauge? Not sure.

My VLX came with a single axel trailer, so that is certainly nortmally.

I saw this boat is for sale on this website..

As a reference I paid 25k (500h) for my mint condition 04 Vlx (only thing wrong was wrap around seat at some cuts in stiching), rest of it was mint. Some scratches on bottom from sand or what not, but nothing through the gel. No visible scratches about the waterline though. Had done all maintiance at dealer, and had all records.

For that boat, I wouldn't pay more than 16-17k personally. I'd do a water test, compression test, and check the fluids after the run. Make sure odds an ends all work, like all the gauges, ballast pumps, lights, etc. All the little odds and ends add up quickly.

Edited by Indyxc

Going to look at an 04 vlx this week. Current owner said he purchased the boat after it was repoed. I asked how many hours and he acted like he isnt sure. Can the hours be pulled off the computer? Also, were single axle trailers normal for the VLX? BOat has some interior, gelcoat issues, and missing wedge. Oh yeah, has monsoon engine. How much is it worth? THanks for any help.

vlx.jpg

vlx2.jpg

vlx4.jpg

vlx3.jpg

Hours registered on the ECM will be displayed at the dash. IF dash figure looks suspicious then ecm will tell you but a new ECM will start at zero as well.

Hours registered on the ECM will be displayed at the dash. IF dash figure looks suspicious then ecm will tell you but a new ECM will start at zero as well.

I believe an 04 gauge cluster reads the hours right off the ECM.