Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf Board for the Whole Family?

jdp1970

Hey BU Crew. We are waiting on our first wakeboard boat (2011 VLX) to be delivered and the whole family is excited to try wakesurfing. As I'm "surfing" the internet for wakesurf boards, I'm trying to figure out if there is a good beginner board that might work for all of us to learn on or whether I'm gonna have to shell out $$ for two boards -- small one for the kids and a larger one for the adults?? Our smallest child is about 65lbs and I'm the biggest at about 185lbs.

I've been looking at the Inland Surfer Squirt which lists a weight range of 70-250 which seems like it could work?? I hate to buy two boards when none of us have even tried it yet? All of the kids are very good wakeboarders and skiers, so while they are new to wakesurfing, they are not new to watersports in general. Any recommendations??

Hey BU Crew. We are waiting on our first wakeboard boat (2011 VLX) to be delivered and the whole family is excited to try wakesurfing. As I'm "surfing" the internet for wakesurf boards, I'm trying to figure out if there is a good beginner board that might work for all of us to learn on or whether I'm gonna have to shell out $$ for two boards -- small one for the kids and a larger one for the adults?? Our smallest child is about 65lbs and I'm the biggest at about 185lbs.

I've been looking at the Inland Surfer Squirt which lists a weight range of 70-250 which seems like it could work?? I hate to buy two boards when none of us have even tried it yet? All of the kids are very good wakeboarders and skiers, so while they are new to wakesurfing, they are not new to watersports in general. Any recommendations??

Any 5 foot board. But the bigger guys will need to be more proficient to go ropeless. I'm 6'1" 180 and surf on a 4'8" board.

The longer boards make it very difficult for the kids to put the brakes on. They are so light that they gain a ton of speed flying up to the boat but they are not heavy enough to sink the tail of the longer boards and slow down. Pick up a 48"-52" board for them. It is hard to find a short surf style board but there are lots of skim boards out there in that length.

The longer boards make it very difficult for the kids to put the brakes on. They are so light that they gain a ton of speed flying up to the boat but they are not heavy enough to sink the tail of the longer boards and slow down. Pick up a 48"-52" board for them. It is hard to find a short surf style board but there are lots of skim boards out there in that length.

FWIW my 10 and 12 yr old cousins use my board and don't have any problems. They have to be around 70 lbs.

Phase 5 prop is a great starter board for your situation. The 2011's have more v in the hull design and will create a great surf wake. Do not be surprised if your kids get up right away and figure out ropeless within a couple of tries.

You will still need an 1100 I'm the trunk and your VAB on the surf side.

If you shop local instead of online you might find a shop that will let you demo a couple. With a good wake you do not need or want a big board. Our favorite board now is the phase 5 scamp. Even the big guys ride it.

It is all about the wave.

Big fan of the Inland Boards. Give them a call they should be able to point you in the right direciton. I have used the "Yellow Lugey" and now have the "Black Pearl" which is an amazing board.

• 5 weeks later...

Inland Surfer Squirt would be a great board for what you are looking for. It can be ridden by a lot of different weight ranges and has the ability to be ridden with 3 fins or you can skim with 1 fin. Can't go wrong at $350. I also believe IS has a few blemished boards they are selling right now. I saw a blemished Squirt $250 plus shipping at Towanza.

For your youngest one, I would look for a used Phase 5 Scamp (around $210 new) and replace the fin with a PH5 2" fin to make it more stable. They say this board is up to 80lbs, but it can easily be ridden to around 110lbs.

I put thread in another post, but here is a great thread with reviews on a lot of board.

Note: not promoting Centurion site, just think it is a great thread if you are looking for a new board

Edited by jkw24