Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to deal with party barge people

Umatilla Matt

The wakeboarding season has barely begun and my crew and I have already started having run-ins with complete idiots on the small lake we frequent. :Frustrated:

We've all had to deal with moronic jet skiers, incompetent boat drivers, and ignorant tubers, but the on our last couple trips to the lake we've had to deal with a new breed of idiot - the party barge people.

The party barge people basically have about 5 or 6 different types of boats that they connect together to form a party barge. Then they park their POS party barge on the smooth, non-windy side of the lake spaced just perfectly between the shoreline and the rougher water towards the middle that it makes it inconvenient to drive around them as we're running back and forth wakeboarding. This wouldn't be too bad if they minded their own business, but they insist on waving their arms, yelling obscenities, and even trying to throw things at us as we drive past. I guess our wake is beating up the people they have in the water swimming around the barge and causing people on the barge to spill their beer. They wouldn't have this issue if they stayed on the rougher side of the lake. Our rollers are way bigger than the ones causes by the wind on the rough side.

It's not like we intrude on their space either. They see us running back and forth as they're coming across the lake, so why park in the middle of our run and then get mad at us? Like I said, complete stupidity. :Doh:

So what would you do? Put some Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga on the tower speakers and blast them with it? :guns: Ignore them? Give up wakeboarding and join the party? :beer:

-Matt

Hmm. I put wake-boarders in the same category as tubers, jet skiers, and party-bargers so I am probably not going to be much help. Unsure.gif

That said, if they were parked in a slalom course, I might suggest parking 50 meters off their port bow and lobbing water ballons filled with baby food and from high-power water-balloon launcher . Beer.gif

Edited by jjackkrash

We've been ignoring them so far, but it gets annoying when a riders falls close to their barge and has to listen to their insults. The water police haven't been out on the lake in a while. I know they would get fined for overloading, if nothing else.

Hmm. I put wake-boarders in the same category as tubers, jet skiers, and party-bargers so I am probably not going to be much help. Unsure.gif

That said, if they were parked in a slalom course, I might suggest parking 50 meters off their port bow and lobbing water ballons filled with baby food and from high-power water-balloon launcher . Beer.gif

I've got nothing against skiers. They seem to be rare these days and the ones I do meet are very respectful and know how to share the water. We both value the "glass".

That being said, I love the baby food balloon idea! :clap:

That sounds kind of dangerous...if there is a water patrol on your lake, might be time ot get them involved. Anchoring in an area that is used by boats in motion is a big no-no on our lake.

Last summer we were set-up in a cove with another boat enjoying a nice lunch. 3 families, lots of kids etc. A rental pontoon pulls up next to us and starts cranking some rap etc., smoking a bong. We turned my LSV so the rear pointed at it, put my daughter in charge of the ipod, fully cranked and just watched. By the third Taylor Swift song they were packing up.

That sounds kind of dangerous...if there is a water patrol on your lake, might be time ot get them involved. Anchoring in an area that is used by boats in motion is a big no-no on our lake.

Last summer we were set-up in a cove with another boat enjoying a nice lunch. 3 families, lots of kids etc. A rental pontoon pulls up next to us and starts cranking some rap etc., smoking a bong. We turned my LSV so the rear pointed at it, put my daughter in charge of the ipod, fully cranked and just watched. By the third Taylor Swift song they were packing up.

:rofl: That's awesome!

the open container in a motor vehicle makes the michigan police get really interested.

maybe it's time to get them involved.

well, maybe touch base w your local police.

the michigan police have enough headaches without importing problems.

The wakeboarding season has barely begun and my crew and I have already started having run-ins with complete idiots on the small lake we frequent. :Frustrated:

We've all had to deal with moronic jet skiers, incompetent boat drivers, and ignorant tubers, but the on our last couple trips to the lake we've had to deal with a new breed of idiot - the party barge people.

The party barge people basically have about 5 or 6 different types of boats that they connect together to form a party barge. Then they park their POS party barge on the smooth, non-windy side of the lake spaced just perfectly between the shoreline and the rougher water towards the middle that it makes it inconvenient to drive around them as we're running back and forth wakeboarding. This wouldn't be too bad if they minded their own business, but they insist on waving their arms, yelling obscenities, and even trying to throw things at us as we drive past. I guess our wake is beating up the people they have in the water swimming around the barge and causing people on the barge to spill their beer. They wouldn't have this issue if they stayed on the rougher side of the lake. Our rollers are way bigger than the ones causes by the wind on the rough side.

It's not like we intrude on their space either. They see us running back and forth as they're coming across the lake, so why park in the middle of our run and then get mad at us? Like I said, complete stupidity. :Doh:

So what would you do? Put some Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga on the tower speakers and blast them with it? :guns: Ignore them? Give up wakeboarding and join the party? :beer:

-Matt

What lake are you on? I'll come over next weekend and fill all 3 ballast tanks.....

[Give up wakeboarding and join the party? :beer:

-Matt

I don't know your lake. We have a couple of coves we hang out in at our favorite lake. We will raft up as far up into the shallows as possible. This is often when the wind comes up so we have learned how far we can go. A bonus is that the surface water is actually warmer than the main lake.

We get skiing early. But some of the best times of my life were rafted up with my buddies / families in a cove. The middle of a hot day in and out of the water. Impromptu water polo, floating from boat to boat and visiting, sampling each other's adult beverage concoction hidden in the cooler, blowing up the tubular pull toy and using it as a dinghy to go from boat to shore, etc. Can't beat it.

If these folks are regular you may have to befriend them and after a couple of weekends share with them a better spot to raft up. The bonus is when it is a windy day and you don't want to go home you can float with them and share boating stories, and so forth.

If you want glass water your best choice is get going early. Then drop an anchor and a mooring buoy in the close vicinity of where the rafters are. Make friends with the most easily approachable. Pretty soon you'll know the whole crew and they will be glad to see you. Pretty soon they'll be cheering you on !

Good luck.

What lake are you on? I'll come over next weekend and fill all 3 ballast tanks.....

We ride Lake Dalhousie in over in Lake County. Its a small lake, but its the only clear one in the area and no one has ever seen a gator on it! Come on out and we'll swamp their POS party barge! haha

Throwing anything at them is asking for trouble. I don't care if it just has water in it. And ESPECIALLY if it has something it like baby food that will stain their upholstery. And remember that your liable for any damage your wake causes on their boats.

All their doing is sitting there? Not even cranking up the tunes to absurd volumes? How close are you going to them? Around here we have a 100' rule. If your closer than 100', then they have a right to gripe.... not to throw stuff, but it wouldn't unexpected to see them waving their arms. Especially if your driving by them less than 100' with a weighted wake.

If it's a public waterway, then we have to share it. Everyone has a right to it. And who wants to tie up a raft of boats in the choppiest part of the lake?? :crazy:

But if their doing stupid stuff, then call the cops. Email the cops. Whatever it takes. But at least your letting them know.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Throwing anything at them is asking for trouble. I don't care if it just has water in it. And ESPECIALLY if it has something it like baby food that will stain their upholstery. And remember that your liable for any damage your wake causes on their boats.

All their doing is sitting there? Not even cranking up the tunes to absurd volumes? How close are you going to them? Around here we have a 100' rule. If your closer than 100', then they have a right to gripe.... not to throw stuff, but it wouldn't unexpected to see them waving their arms. Especially if your driving by them less than 100' with a weighted wake.

If it's a public waterway, then we have to share it. Everyone has a right to it. And who wants to tie up a raft of boats in the choppiest part of the lake?? :crazy:

But if their doing stupid stuff, then call the cops. Email the cops. Whatever it takes. But at least your letting them know.

Bill, I'm obviously not gonna resort to throwing things at them. It's just fun to think about. If I did it would bring me down to their level.

They are cranking their tunes up, but that doesn't bother me since we are running tower speakers most of the time anyways.

We too have a rule about distance to vessels not under power. I believe it's 90' or 100', but we're passing these guys way farther out than that. Maybe 200' or so?

I also realize we all have the right to use the water, but some commons sense would be appreciated. Don't park your party in the middle of where you see me running back and forth and then get upset when I don't move! It's not like the other side has a 3ft chop or anything. It's just choppy enough to be annoying to wakeboard on.

I'm gonna give the Sheriff's Office a call and let them know how bad its getting on that particular lake on the weekends. The lake is often crowded because its one of the only clear lakes in the area. I haven't seen a Sheriff's boat so far this year, and I think that needs to change. Normally I don't like to deal with cops, but sometimes you gotta take the lesser of two evils.

I would sleep on the idea of getting the cops involved.

The current public sentiment in Oregon is that the wakeboard boats are the PROBLEM.

Ask OBSKI and RUFFDOG about how the best part of the Willamette River is proposed to be off limits to Ballast boats.

So Go ahead and call the cops. Be prepared to lose, though.....

http://www.devilslakeor.us/boatrules.html

:unsure:

http://www.wakeboardnorthwest.com/general/willamette-river-proposed-rules-for-boating-meeting-sept-9/

http://www.boatoregon.com/OSMB/WakePage/WakePage.shtml

:(

Edited by DONTW8

Have you pulled over to where they are anchored and presented your side to them? Telling them that you were here running your lines before they anchored and explain what your are doing and why? (all in a civilized manner) IME...most of the time in those situations, they don't even know they are in the way. They just think you are trying to annoy them by continuing to drive past them sending your wakes their way. If they still don't get it, add more ballast...

Im with Ronnie, stop over and have a beer with them. You might be suprised... Maybe they just want to try wakeboarding?

I too live on a part of Lake Champlain that if you dont get out early OR late in the day, on the weekend its a total mecca of all the idiots you listed in your original post.

So I get out at about 8AM, ride till 10. Then go back to the house and do whatever until right after dinner. THAT is when I catch the real glass.

I CANT WAIT FOR SUMMER!!! :rockon:

We ride Lake Dalhousie in over in Lake County. Its a small lake, but its the only clear one in the area and no one has ever seen a gator on it! Come on out and we'll swamp their POS party barge! haha

Clear lake, no alligators in CFL!?! I'm in. I just googled it (about 35 miles). I see it has a dirt ramp.....any issues launching/loading? Do you power on the trailer? I would love to find some water that is brown down here (I'm from New England). I'm thinking Sunday I might be on this lake (assuming my dealer is finished with my gelcoat/spider crack repairs this week).

Tim

I would talk to them as soon as they arrive before they have been drinking too much. I would suggest that you try to make friends with them so they are willing to move their group a bit (you might suggest asking that they move to one end or the other of the area protected from the wind vs. the middle of it). If they are in an area where they are allowed to anchor it won't work out to well getting the sherrif involved. Most lakes will have a minimum distance of 100' you need to stay clear of anchored vessles and you could be cited going closer than that at speed. In some areas the laws might require a greater distance. Even if you are more than 100' and they can prove your wake caused damage to there boats you could be held at least partially liable.

Hopefully you can work something out with them.

Tim, Dalhousie is the only lake in my area that is clear, except for the Butler Chain of Lakes in Windermere, which I hear are pretty clean. Dalhousie is supposedly spring-fed. The gators can't handle the water cause it's a little cooler and they can't find food because the water is clear. I know some people who live on the lake and they've never seen a gator in the 10+ years they've lived there. The ramp is dirt, and you may have trouble with a bigger boat combined with a two wheel drive vehicle. I use four wheel drive when I'm launching and my wheels don't even spin, so you should be ok. The lake does get extremely crowded on the weekends, and at times it's impossible to wakeboard. It's best to get there early, say before 11 or so if you wanna do some serious wakeboarding before the goofs show up. I won't be out there on Sunday, but let me know if you go again and I'll look for your boat!

Hmm. I put wake-boarders in the same category as tubers, jet skiers, and party-bargers so I am probably not going to be much help.

That's quite a statement. Aren't we (wakeboarders & skiers) both out for smooth water? Tubers, jet skiiers, party bargers not so much, right? Whatever. I guess it's the same as the old "i own the mountain" skiers who just can't comprehend we're all just looking for powder...

Anyway, I'm with the crowd that says try to make friends with 'em. Who knows how long they'll be around and you don't want to go to the lake every weekend wondering if you're gonna get in a fight. I'd avoid getting authorities involved unless absolutely, positively necessary. It's just not worth it. Hey, and on Sunday when you're out riding a clear glassy lake with a couple idiots parked in the middle...........remember there is some poor unfortunate kids in Africa adults in Oregon that still have a month to go before they even dare drop their boats in the water and begin braving the cold water! :lol:

I would sleep on the idea of getting the cops involved.

The current public sentiment in Oregon is that the wakeboard boats are the PROBLEM.

Ask OBSKI and RUFFDOG about how the best part of the Willamette River is proposed to be off limits to Ballast boats.

So Go ahead and call the cops. Be prepared to lose, though.....

http://www.devilslak.../boatrules.html

http://www.wakeboard...meeting-sept-9/

http://www.boatorego.../WakePage.shtml

:(

That link for Devil's Lake made me laugh:

"PADL member and DLWID board member Jack Strayer has been following their meetings and sent the following.

The attached ruling was made for the lower Willamette - limiting the use

of wake producing [boats] activities. See the ruling attached below.

The OMB said that they were persuaded by local public opinion. If we

want any similar type of ruling - we would need the support of PADL, the

city and the members of the state legislature.

Jack"

What a joke. I was at some meetings and public opinion was more than 90% against the adopted rules.

Your point is well taken, however. When people start complaining, someone's use of public water can be altered.

Aren't we (wakeboarders & skiers) both out for smooth water? Tubers, jet skiiers, party bargers not so much, right?

Huh???? :crazy:

I'm certainly not one to stick up for jetskiers & tubers. But I don't think ANYONE is out looking for rough water.

I lived on Sammamish for 7 yrs. There is a huge amount of people there who ski, board, foil & PARTY. It wasn't unusual to have 4 or 5 boats rafted up any night of the week in the summer. and multiple rafts of 8 - 10 boats on the weekends. I might be the one kicking up the wakes or the ones on the raft of boats. But if I was rafted up & someone was riding by us over & over, we are working to deal with the wakes knocking the boats around. I always felt like if I'm gonna work that hard while I'm partying you had best give us a show. If you've got the skills to put up a good show, then lets see what ya got. And if you don't have the skills, then lets see some carnage!! :yahoo:

It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear this same sentiment when you go talk to them Matt.