Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Modifying 3 vent OEM heater

Fman

After recieving my VLX yesterday I noticed the 3 vent heater only has one pull out tube. There are two fixed vents under the helm area. I would like to convert one of the fixed vents to a pullout tube, has anyone done anything like this? I am surprised Malibu did not put two pull-outs in and one fixed under the helm area. You really dont need two fixed mounts for the drivers leg area.

I was thinking heatercraft might sell some snorkles that could easily be attached the mounting bracket? Or even possibly drilling a new mounting hole in the walkway and running the second snorkle line?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.... Travis

You can buy them from Bakes or Skidim pretty cheap, I'd drill another hole in the walkthough personally. I did an install on my 05 lxi w/ 4 vents and 2 snorkel tubes in the walkthough, it was really nice.

FWIW the factory heaters have always come configured w/ 1 pull out and 2 euro vents.

-Chris

I did exactly what your talking about. Personaly I would not drill another hole in The walk way it will cause issues in the future if you ever do any sort of a custom subwoofer. I'll take some pics today and post them tonight.

I did exactly what your talking about. Personaly I would not drill another hole in The walk way it will cause issues in the future if you ever do any sort of a custom subwoofer. I'll take some pics today and post them tonight.

That would be great to see some pictures. Thanks...

After recieving my VLX yesterday I noticed the 3 vent heater only has one pull out tube. There are two fixed vents under the helm area. I would like to convert one of the fixed vents to a pullout tube, has anyone done anything like this? I am surprised Malibu did not put two pull-outs in and one fixed under the helm area. You really dont need two fixed mounts for the drivers leg area.

I was thinking heatercraft might sell some snorkles that could easily be attached the mounting bracket? Or even possibly drilling a new mounting hole in the walkway and running the second snorkle line?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.... Travis

I used one of the two and added a pull out under the helm for the driver and ran the other one down in the compartment on the floor where the cup holders are and have two vents dumping heat out on the drivers feet.

Terry

This is what I did. I can explain it later if you like it but the goal behind it was th give the observers a longer hose. The seat behind the driver heat and keep the driver warm. It has worked perfect.

post-3478-044196400 1301854571_thumb.jpg

post-3478-069474400 1301854625_thumb.jpg

I was interested in something similar as well. When we ordered ours I'd asked for two pull out tubes in the walkthrough. The factory didn't do it. Our dealer took a stub at it during the 20 hour service, but they found there was not enough room behind the sub box.

Liljohn's setup looks pretty nice. Oldschoolmalibu has also done a similar mod with some nice pics in his boathouse. As another option, we have an additional heater on ours with two pull out tubes under the back seat offering good range through the cabin (pic in the boathouse). I'm still toying with the idea of adding an additional tube under the dash though. Wife and kids love the heaters.

Edited by Dexter

This is what I did. I can explain it later if you like it but the goal behind it was th give the observers a longer hose. The seat behind the driver heat and keep the driver warm. It has worked perfect.

That looks really nice, great idea. I will print out these pics and use them for an option... thanks for sending them over.

I was interested in something similar as well. When we ordered ours I'd asked for two pull out tubes in the walkthrough. The factory didn't do it. Our dealer took a stub at it during the 20 hour service, but they found there was not enough room behind the sub box.

Liljohn's setup looks pretty nice. Oldschoolmalibu has also done a similar mod with some nice pics in his boathouse. As another option, we have an additional heater on ours with two pull out tubes under the back seat offering good range through the cabin (pic in the boathouse). I'm still toying with the idea of adding an additional tube under the dash though. Wife and kids love the heaters.

I am in the same situation, my wife loves the heat. First thing she noticed when sitting in the boat was why did they only install one pop out heater! It really is a nice feature for people to get warm on late evening and early morning sets.

Don't waste your time with a dealer. Call Heatercraft direct & tell them you want a 6' long snorkel. It'll reach every seat in a VLX. Everyone will love it. :rockon:

When I added a heater to my '05 LXI last fall I had my repair shop put one pull out snorkle on the drivers side (near the bottom right of the kick panel)with a fixed vent at the drivers feet , the 2nd snorkle in the walk through for the folks in the observers seat. The fixed vent covers most of the drivers area, the pull out goes under the drivers sweatshirt, the 2nd pullout to the observers. Works awsome and the driver is always toasty!

Ed

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.... Travis

I really like what Liljohn did..nice work man! My set up is not as fancy but gets the job done quite nicely. I purchased a heater tube and new bracket from Paul @ Bakes. Really easy install, just removed the old vent and put in the pull out tube. There are some picks in my boathouse. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/50-malibu-wakesetter-vtx/page__tab__mods__mod_id__49

Here are some picks of the install.

I really want to do this mod now.. Does that pod fit directly were the non extended pod sits or did you have to reroute it in order to use the extended pod?

Edit: Boathouse shows all, great idea since the walkway cant reach people in the back!

Edited by BlitzedVLX

I really want to do this mod now.. Does that pod fit directly were the non extended pod sits or did you have to reroute it in order to use the extended pod?

Edit: Boathouse shows all, great idea since the walkway cant reach people in the back!

Perfect fit. Had to move down 1/8 - 1/4 inch so there was enough room at the top of the heater tube to connect the heater hose to the heater without putting a 90 bend in the hose. Took a matter of minutes to do. Paul sent me the modified bracket already bolted to the heater tube! Cost was $50 total.

I dont really care about others in the back, more so wanted the heater tube for myself. Connecting the heater tube to one of these makes for a really warm ride! http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=858

I dont really care about others in the back, more so wanted the heater tube for myself. Connecting the heater tube to one of these makes for a really warm ride! http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=858

Wow those blankets are awesome! Wish they were about half the price. So you are using the extrended more so for yourself while driving, where do you pull it out and stick it :rofl: ?

HEhe, nice. Thats why you do 3 or 4 hot tubes. Only the one or two going to your cold family & friends needs to be very long. The short one can be used by the driver..... unless you need to shove it waaay up somewhere. :rofl:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Wow those blankets are awesome! Wish they were about half the price. So you are using the extrended more so for yourself while driving, where do you pull it out and stick it :rofl: ?

Extended is for myself, the other stock heater tube is used by the passengers. The blanket is worth every penny! It has a nice pocket for your feet and gets really warm. Dont forget crew members get a discount at Bakes. I would put the blanket on your must have list! It sure does keep the ladies happy!!

Extended is for myself, the other stock heater tube is used by the passengers. The blanket is worth every penny! It has a nice pocket for your feet and gets really warm. Dont forget crew members get a discount at Bakes. I would put the blanket on your must have list! It sure does keep the ladies happy!!

Good idea on the blanket, I just ordered two more 6' tubes. Figured I would make all three of them extended tubes, looks like a pretty basic install.

Thanks for the feedback...

Good idea on the blanket, I just ordered two more 6' tubes. Figured I would make all three of them extended tubes, looks like a pretty basic install.

The blanket is is a huge life saver for us up North. It keeps the wife and kids on the water a lot longer! I even had 6 more built for friends and family. My mom was able to knock them out fairly quick after the first one. I may have to get her to build me a nice big one for the new boat.

The blanket is is a huge life saver for us up North. It keeps the wife and kids on the water a lot longer! I even had 6 more built for friends and family. My mom was able to knock them out fairly quick after the first one. I may have to get her to build me a nice big one for the new boat.

Get her to post a DIY!!

This install turned out really nice... I like the vents so close to the floor so you can snuggle your feet up to them with out pulling the tubes out.

The Captain / Driver should be the most comfortable right!?

Should be shipping out today! Thanks for your order!

The blanket is really nice but you California boys don't have to deal with boating in in 40 degree air / 40 degree water a few months out of the year Biggrin.gif

My wife won't go out in the boat now with out that blanket, (she really doesn't like being cold)

-Paul

Here's what I did in my LXI, I'd guess in a VLX it would leave enough room for your subs and whatnot, I had a basslink tucked behind there too.

DSC00197.JPG