Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ice Chest Solutions

glenn

I need some help. I have a 2006 23 ft. LSV and I am looking for a solution/improvement to the factory built in ice chest. Has anyone found a way or a soft chest that lays flat enough to keep the ice from melting in short order?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The Malibu soft coolers are not the best quality. And keeping them packed full of melting ice seems to really make them fall apart in a hurry. Not to mention hauling a case of two of drinks in it will easily strain it.

For this reason I started freezing our bottled water. Then I fill the cooler with frozen bottled water, mixed with all the other drinks. They start to melt & are drinkable in a few hours, plus keep everything else cold. And the bag stays dry & in better shape for longer. My own bag is over 3 yrs old now & still in one piece. Where others I've seen were falling apart after a year or so.

We also have an AO Coolers backpack for the drinks & ice. Those things are the bomb, tough as nails. Fill it full of ice & a case of beer & you will still have ice in it 2 days later. :rockon:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Got a link? I don't know what this is.

http://www.aocoolers.com/

I guess they are at the LA boat show every year (I know they were this year). Jake had a pair of the carbon series 18 backpacks custom embroidered with the AirJunky logo a few years ago. They aren't cheap, but the liner has a lifetime warranty. Mines like 3 yrs old. We use it all year long, on our own boat, plus others. I swear I can stuff a full case of cans in it, plus ice. And it's still goin strong. :rockon:

post-821-074231600 1301782415_thumb.jpg

Costco has big shopping bag type soft coolers for $6 or $7. We use that for food with an ice pack and slip it behind the drivers seat. The under seat cooler we leave full of drinks. Freeze 5-6 water bottles (which melt over the course of the day) and throw a bag of ice in for good measure. We aren't @ Laughlin, but on the hottest days around here (low 100s) that system worked out great.

I keep thinking one of these years I am going to pull the factory cooler, spray the cavity with foam and them it back in before the foam dries to give it some insulation. Like I say,I keep thinking about doing that...

In the meantime, we just use it for drinks. Food we put either in a softside cooler that stays under a hatch or sometimes I throw a hardside cooler in the back starboard area.

I was looking for an alternative last year after our malibu cooler bag liner tore after half a summers worth of use. I used 2 Igloo brand coolers from target and they worked much better and kept ice colder for longer but I have still not found a single bag that has the same dimension as the Malibu branded cooler 24" inches long 14" inches wide 7" inches tall..none of the AO or Polar Bear coolers will fit height wise.

Edited by BlitzedVLX

+2 on the AO softsided cooler. Had mine 6 years. Benefits;

1) It holds a ton.

2) Keeps the beers cold all day long and sometimes all weekend.

3) Easy to offload and reload.

4) Store it in the walkway area so nobody needs to get up when the inevitable "beer me" phrase is uttered during a ride.

martinarcher

I need to buy one of those AO coolers for our boat. I hate our hard cooler. It drives me buts when it is running on the vinyl. I need to size one to fit under a seat. Thumbup.gif

Someone needs to convince AOCoolers that we need a replacement Malibu cooler that fits under the seat. :rockon:

Only problem.... any of you speak Chinese? :Doh:

Man that would be sweet, lets go for it! I will send them an email and see if they can do one with the dimensions as the soft sided malibu cooler 24" inches long 14" inches wide 7" inches tall.

Man that would be sweet, lets go for it! I will send them an email and see if they can do one with the dimensions as the soft sided malibu cooler 24" inches long 14" inches wide 7" inches tall.

Assuming they have any ability or interest in doing this, it would be great to get a hold of someone who could get the word around to a ton of Malibu owners & come up with some kind of number of potential sales for them. Maybe thru Malibu corp or the dealers?

Assuming they have any ability or interest in doing this, it would be great to get a hold of someone who could get the word around to a ton of Malibu owners & come up with some kind of number of potential sales for them. Maybe thru Malibu corp or the dealers?

Looks like its going to be possible. Here is what I got back:

I will get you a price of this cooler. They are more expensive then out regular size coolers just to let you know...

Brian

Maybe we can get a group purchase going on these to get the price down to the cost of the regular ones.. I will keep everyone updated.

Edited by BlitzedVLX

Wow, thats a better response than I would have thought.

Might want to ask for quantity pricing then. eg; how much for 20 pieces? 50 pieces? 100 pieces? Maybe the interest level will be similar to the mudflaps deal.

Wow, thats a better response than I would have thought.

Might want to ask for quantity pricing then. eg; how much for 20 pieces? 50 pieces? 100 pieces? Maybe the interest level will be similar to the mudflaps deal.

I asked in the original message if 10+ would offer a discount. I will ask into more after his next response.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are they going to custom make these?

also, I bought a new Malibu cooler from bakes and When I fill it with Ice, the ice doesnt melt. I mean I left it all day then over night and still had not melted. Is this the exact malibu oem bag they sell?

i have 2 48-pack coolers and they are used extensively on water and off throughout the entire season. it is the best cooler i have ever owned. it will definitely hold 48 beers and 20lbs of ice, though it's juuuuuuuuustt a bit heavy when full. even with the extreme load, the straps and liner hold up like champs. no problems.

just make sure you get everyone to zip the top when they're done looking inside. i have the hardest time keeping mine closed up for some reason. i guess they don't understand 110* heat will make the ice melt.

Edited by MARiley