Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What oil do you use in your Hammerhead?

I run Shell Rotella 15W40, I have seen a lot of gas and diesel motors with 10,000 hours running fine with that oil.

started using mobile 1 15w50 last summer but not convinced synthetic is any better for use in a boat. The oil is cleaner though during changes.

I run Shell Rotella 15W40, I have seen a lot of gas and diesel motors with 10,000 hours running fine with that oil.

:plus1:

As others mentioned, the year matters in terms of what is recommended. I have a 2002 and 15W40 is the recommended weight oil and that is what I have used.

-- Mike

Indmar advised me to run straight 50 weight due to some oil pressure issues in the 2006 HH. I use Valvoline VR1 racing oil.

What he said - straight 50 weight Valvoline racing oil. Indmar actually says 50 wt. dino oil is sufficient, but synthetic (Valvoline racing is synthetic) will not hurt anything.

Personally, I cannot see putting regular dino oil in a 20K engine.

I shy away from Rotella, etc. as they have certain emsulifiers to combat blow-by from a diesel engine that are not needed in a gas engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought 3 1 gallon containers of this on sale from K-mart, tonight.

What he said - straight 50 weight Valvoline racing oil. Indmar actually says 50 wt. dino oil is sufficient, but synthetic (Valvoline racing is synthetic) will not hurt anything.

Personally, I cannot see putting regular dino oil in a 20K engine.

I shy away from Rotella, etc. as they have certain emsulifiers to combat blow-by from a diesel engine that are not needed in a gas engine.

Very interesting post Trains.

I can't fathom how horrible the clearances are in that small block Chevy if you have to run 50 weight. As far as regular oil in a 20K motor. Every priced a Cat diesel...20K is just a down payment on those and most are run with Rotella for 10,000 + hours with a turbo spinning very fast.