Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Backing Up Driveway

fergie23

Just picked up our new V-Ride and trying to get it into the garage--dealer adjusted height but i am having trouble backing it up the driveway. I started with a 6" drop hitch and it just barely clears but with the angle of the hitch, the truck tires just kept spinning. I have a V6 4Runner (not 4x4) and am not sure if it was the angle of the drop hitch or the vehicle being underpowered. The driveway is not all that steep. Any ideas?? Thinking of trying 2 x 6" ramps and less of a drop hitch. Also, someone mentioned maybe the trailer brakes are angaging...any way to stop them from engaging (Extreme Trailer)...thanks!

Sounds like trailer brakes to me. Some trailers have electric lockout operated by the backup lights (you would have a 5 wire plug instead of 4). Some of them have a little key thing you put in a slot on the coupler.

do you have a 5 pin hookup on the trailer cable which will keep the brakes from engaging. If you aren't sure if they are engaging or not you can have someone look at the trailer tongue and see if it slides back as you are backing up. If it is sliding back then the brakes are engaging.

Funny, just got done replying to your post on WW. I agree with the responses on the other board about your brakes engaging while backing up, some trailer have electrical hook up that disengages your brakes while backing up. If not, there is a pin you can pull.

Maybe you can post a pic of the driveway and that will help get some answers.

Welcome to the board, you will find this site is loaded with Malibu and boating information.

I do have the flat 5 pin but will have to look at it to find out if there is any type of pin to pull or bracket to turn. I'll post a picture of the driveway if i can't get it up there tonight.

Sounds like trailer brakes to me.  Some trailers have electric lockout operated by the backup lights (you would have a 5 wire plug instead of 4).  Some of them have a little key thing you put in a slot on the coupler.

Extreme comes with both, have your tow rig rewired with the 5 wire so when you hit reverse as mentioned above the backup lights will engage the lockout, its much easier than the little mechanical lockout key.

Pin you can pull? Is that unique to extreme trailers? The only ways I knew were the electric way (either a 5 pin or, do the flop and turn your lights on), or put a socket where the tongue compresses. What is this "pin" that you speak of?

EDIT: Congrats on the boat Fergie!

Edited by JohnDoe

Mine has a pin that doubles as a safety feature. During normal use it goes through the backside of the 2" ball housing which will help keep the ball and trailer from seperating. To manually lock up the brake actuator, you pull out the pin from behind the ball and move it to a through hole drilled through the trailer frame and brake actuator slide. It keeps the assembly from moving forward as the vehicle backs up. I also have the electronic option.

Pin you can pull?  Is that unique to extreme trailers?  The only ways I knew were the electric way (either a 5 pin or, do the flop and turn your lights on), or put a socket where the tongue compresses.  What is this "pin" that you speak of?

Mine has a pin that doubles as a safety feature.  During normal use it goes through the backside of the 2" ball housing which will help keep the ball and trailer from seperating.  To manually lock up the brake actuator, you pull out the pin from behind the ball and move it to a through hole drilled through the trailer frame and brake actuator slide.  It keeps the assembly from moving forward as the vehicle backs up.  I also have the electronic option.
Pin you can pull?  Is that unique to extreme trailers?  The only ways I knew were the electric way (either a 5 pin or, do the flop and turn your lights on), or put a socket where the tongue compresses.  What is this "pin" that you speak of?

Make that item #63,789 that I have learned on TMC. Thanks. Although I am pessimistic that my trailer has it Cry.gif

My truck has the round plug and I bought a converter to go to flat 5.

Just realized that the electrical wasn't plugged in at the time we were backing it up the drive--would that be my whole problem?????

My truck has the round plug and I bought a converter to go to flat 5.

Just realized that the electrical wasn't plugged in at the time we were backing it up the drive--would that be my whole problem?????

Welcome to the Crew!! I know that if I unplug my connection, same as yours, that it locks up.

I guess the good news is it should work fine then when I plug it in!

Thanks for the help!

Yep...I think you'll find it much easier to back it up the driveway (or anywhere else for that matter) when the trailer brakes aren't locked up :)

Edited by rts

Stuff like that will happen when your new at towing. Don't worry about it.

You should love the 4Runner as a tow vehicle (2003 and newer). I have the V8 in mine and it tows great. Even with the V6, it is a very nice ride.

Just be sure when you get it backed up all the way to pull forward to disengage the break actuator before unhooking the trailer!!! (learned that one the hard way)

Until you get your plug wired properly, you can accomplish the same thing by unplugging the lights and putting the 4th(last) pin on the trailer plug into the first socket on the car plug (next to the ground pin) and turning your lights on.

Edited by billb
Until you get your plug wired properly, you can accomplish the same thing by unplugging the lights and putting the 4th(last) pin on the trailer plug into the first socket on the car plug (next to the ground pin) and turning your lights on.

This is a great trick to avoid vertically jackknifing the truck and trailer, but you must remember to put the plug back to "normal" before leaving the ramp to go home or you will not have any brakes or lights for the ride home. Trust me, been there, done that.

With the 4Runner (great vehicle, had one before the Sequioa) you'll definitely know if your trailer brakes aren't working while your towing, as you'll get pushed around quite a bit...

She's in!!!!!

After a couple of hours of work last night, finally got her backed up the driveway and into the garage!

Here was the problem--there was no way to get clearance with the regular tow hitch and the bar portion on the adjustable drop hitch I had borrowed was too long--the electrical would not reach and that is why I triued it without plugging in. Finally, a neighbor loaned me his drop hitch--the electrical reached and he suggested we take even more of an angle going up the drive--it worked!! Also, no problem with the 82" clearance and am thinking of having the dealer raise it another inch to help with clearance in the future.

I still could not figure out how to mechanically stop the brakes from locking up but apparently the electrical works correctly (when plugged in). I am going out to purchase the identical drop hitch today!

Thanks for all the help!

It's a very primative solution but on my SMP trailer there is an oval shaped hole in the side of the trailer that a pin slides back and forth in. When I got the boat the owner had just taped a hex nut into the oval hole with the pin in the back position (brakes off). I guess they didn't have a 5 wire capable tow vehicle. Wish I had a picture, it makes a lot more sense to see it. Just be sure to remove it before going anywhere as it defeats the brakes completely. I looked and on my particular brand of trailer there are no provisions for an override pin, that's why it had to be rigged this way.

They make lockout brackets that you can put in. My trailer didn't come with any so I just made some out of steel. I only use them when I drop the boat off for storage so who ever backs the trailer doesn't wear out the brakes. I found this site with some cool videos on it showing the brake system. Click "Actuators" and check out the videos. They take some time to load.

UFP

It's a very primative solution but on my SMP trailer there is an oval shaped hole in the side of the trailer that a pin slides back and forth in. When I got the boat the owner had just taped a hex nut into the oval hole with the pin in the back position (brakes off). I guess they didn't have a 5 wire capable tow vehicle. Wish I had a picture, it makes a lot more sense to see it. Just be sure to remove it before going anywhere as it defeats the brakes completely. I looked and on my particular brand of trailer there are no provisions for an override pin, that's why it had to be rigged this way.

I have the same coupler and I do use two hex nuts (one on each side) when backing up. Instead of tape, I took a piece of coat hanger and fashioned a "C" shaped spring to keep the nuts in place. Easy on, easy off. Keep the nuts and spring under my seat and am ready any time to back my baby up.