Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Top Speed of the 555 hp supercharged LSV's

Danno

Im pretty sure you could get a barefoot edition Skier back in the day with a 454...

I've never heard of a barefoot edition skier but you could definitely get one in a President's edition, but the "barefoot" editions that I'm familiar with are all hammerheads, maybe a few Ls3s.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jrz1

• Danno

• 85 Barefoot

• Malibuzer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Little off topic but, I think in the OLD days, a big block chevy, small block chevy and even the six cylinders could sit on the same motor mounts. If I'm not mistaken, the bell housings, even the starters were the same.

Our trio of boats include my 'bu, my sisters Mastercraft and our buddy's supercharged 454, 3-speed V-drive Eliminator boat.

When it was raced would do 112mph in the quarter mile. When the water's ripe for footing, I'll take him 70+ on his feet !

Steve B.

I know for a matter of fact it will fit in the VLX.

Well whats a matter of "fact" may be up for debate. When my friend ordered his 2011 VLX, he was interested in the Caddy, dealer sheet does not show available on VLX, Malibu confirmed that with dealer (that you cannot get the caddy in a vlx), and I was recently AT THE FACTORY, and saw no caddies going into anything other than 23 and 24's.

So, maybe your information is better than mine. If you know for a "fact", post a picture. Well maybe not, my friend going to be chapped if you can show one in a VLX. :biggrin: It is true that I'm going off second hand word, but if you could get it in a vlx, someone would have tested it in addition to the 23s and 24s that have been tested and reported on on here.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Well whats a matter of "fact" may be up for debate. When my friend ordered his 2011 VLX, he was interested in the Caddy, dealer sheet does not show available on VLX, Malibu confirmed that with dealer (that you cannot get the caddy in a vlx), and I was recently AT THE FACTORY, and saw no caddies going into anything other than 23 and 24's.

So, maybe your information is better than mine. If you know for a "fact", post a picture. Well maybe not, my friend going to be chapped if you can show one in a VLX. :biggrin: It is true that I'm going off second hand word, but if you could get it in a vlx, someone would have tested it in addition to the 23s and 24s that have been tested and reported on on here.

I will get you a picture soon. There may be one delivered to my dealer already. Let me make a call.

jkendallmsce

I know, I have one, a 454 in a boat that's 19 feet and about 80 inches wide. Again, not saying it's not possible, was responding to your question as to why you can't get one. And the answer is, it doesn't fit, unlike designs in years past where a big block was DESIGNED to fit, the caddy won't even fit in a VLX!

I guess I did not articulate my thoughts well enough.

Supra also stuffed the big block into their DDs for several years.

ANd the 454 is an entirely different engine than the LS3 or LSA.

The LS3 and LSA engines are the same...same displacement (6.2L) , same bore and stroke, same motor mounts, same aluminum block. They added a supercharger atop the LS3 (adding 2 inches to the over all height) and you have a LSA. There are obviously some different internal specs, namley the compression ratios, but the are the same engine.

There is NO DESIGN work required..other than checking the clearance/height of the engine cover to ensure the engine cover does not interfere with the supercharger. If the LS3 engine fits in a 2010 LXI, why can't/won't it fit in a 2011 LXI?? SO the design has already been done.

LS3: http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/REV_2_2011_6200_LS3_Marine.pdf

LSA: http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/REV_3_2011_6200_LSA_Marine.pdf

I guess I did not articulate my thoughts well enough.

Supra also stuffed the big block into their DDs for several years.

ANd the 454 is an entirely different engine than the LS3 or LSA.

The LS3 and LSA engines are the same...same displacement (6.2L) , same bore and stroke, same motor mounts, same aluminum block. They added a supercharger atop the LS3 (adding 2 inches to the over all height) and you have a LSA. There are obviously some different internal specs, namley the compression ratios, but the are the same engine.

There is NO DESIGN work required..other than checking the clearance/height of the engine cover to ensure the engine cover does not interfere with the supercharger. If the LS3 engine fits in a 2010 LXI, why can't/won't it fit in a 2011 LXI?? SO the design has already been done.

LS3: http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/REV_2_2011_6200_LS3_Marine.pdf

LSA: http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/engines/specialized/marine/REV_3_2011_6200_LSA_Marine.pdf

No news there.

Do you not call a new engine hatch design work? I do. Which is why you cant order one in a response. Could it be done, sure, never said otherwise.

Indeed the LSA has been added to the order sheet for the VLX, My geuss is you'll be giving up the pizza tray under the hatches.

Malibu originally stayed back from adding the LSa to the VLX just for the reason, that is it a monster of a motor in the 23' boat, and the 21.5' bodies it would be overkill. But since enough people asked for it, they made it available.

With that kind of power couldn't you change the pitch of the prop to get more speed if that was what you wanted. 50mph is probably fast enough for this hull design, not sure it was really designed for much higher speeds. Pretty much every boat designed for 50+ mph has trim tabs or some other means to help manage the ride of the boat at higher speeds. It would be fun though to be able to crank it up to 65.

gallery_56_293_65555.jpg

gallery_56_293_59791.jpg

I know these pics don't show it, but this is a one-off Response with an 8.1. and Metallic black ghost racing stripes- Very cool

That response is absolutely sick! I would prefer a different tower however with that color scheme......simply sick!

Didn't Mastercraft put a supercharged engine in their DD boats at one point?

Yes they did. It was for their skifly boat.

I wouldn't think you would have to modify the engine cover on a Response for a supercharger. It would go in place of the current intake plenum. The issue may be getting enough air for the engine to breathe at full throttle/boost.

They also used to put the 502 "Python" engine in the Ski Nautique 196 years ago as an option.

gallery_56_293_65555.jpg

gallery_56_293_59791.jpg

I know these pics don't show it, but this is a one-off Response with an 8.1. and Metallic black ghost racing stripes- Very cool

Is it just the camera angle or is the bow light not centered between those racing stripes? If not that would always

bug me if it was my boat....I know, I am way to particular! Beautiful color scheme though imo.

Is it just the camera angle or is the bow light not centered between those racing stripes? If not that would always

bug me if it was my boat....I know, I am way to particular! Beautiful color scheme though imo.

I'm not at all a pro at layin up boats, or any kind of fiberglass. But I know it's not an exact science. When you paint a car for instance, you measure, center & mask off areas that you don't want painted. But when your laying up the graphics on a boat hull, or a wakeboard, then your laying pieces of fabric face down in resin, building it from the outside in. The fabrics are long, and not easy to handle without them getting stuck in the resin, wrinkled, off center a bit, etc. So for it to be 1/4" off center is not unusual. Look at any of your wakeboards with cloth graphics. The ones with PBT or aluminum graphics will be a lot more precise, which is one reason why those companies go that route.

I'm not at all a pro at layin up boats, or any kind of fiberglass. But I know it's not an exact science. When you paint a car for instance, you measure, center & mask off areas that you don't want painted. But when your laying up the graphics on a boat hull, or a wakeboard, then your laying pieces of fabric face down in resin, building it from the outside in. The fabrics are long, and not easy to handle without them getting stuck in the resin, wrinkled, off center a bit, etc. So for it to be 1/4" off center is not unusual. Look at any of your wakeboards with cloth graphics. The ones with PBT or aluminum graphics will be a lot more precise, which is one reason why those companies go that route.

Was just at factory and saw this done. They take empty mold and apply wax or something to prevent sticking. Then they tape off the mold for the different colors and then spray the gel coat with what in essence looks like a huge spray gun. No moving around of fabrics. The structural glass is laid on top of the gel coat in varying thicknesses depending on location and the 2 fuse together. The taping is done by hand but I don't think there's much chance for it to move but the hand laid tape could be off by a bit from boat to boat. Was cool to see how it's done.

That response is absolutely sick! I would prefer a different tower however with that color scheme......simply sick!

Totally. Titan is the way to go on that boat.

I will get you a picture soon. There may be one delivered to my dealer already. Let me make a call.

Lets see that picture Sir Trent! s*** why stop at the VLX..lets keep going and see if we can shoehorn one in a VTX!

Lets see that picture Sir Trent! s*** why stop at the VLX..lets keep going and see if we can shoehorn one in a VTX!

Patience Grasshopper! I have not been able to go and snap picture yet. Maybe tomorrow if I remember the camera. :crazy:

Here you go. I believe it is actually on ispec now if you design a new boat. The boys at Wizard Lake have sold quite a few boats with the supercharged engine. I am not sure why they are so popular up here? :dontknow:

post-5478-030231000 1302057510_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malibuzer