Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealer great - Malibu corp ?????

board brained

Man I just want to vent a bit and it is directed at Malibu Corp.......... I am 1 year into a 3 year warranty and am having issues already with the warranty. I specifically bought a boat with a full warranty because I wanted the boat to be covered for a period of time, basically trouble free cost wise re defects etc.........

well since day one I have had minor issues with the illusion tower, which my dealer has been awesome coming up with fixes for me. Well the powder coat is now all bubbling on the bases and will soon be peeling off. when the dealer filled the claim it got declined because it is "cosmetic?". Ok I agree it is, but it is also defective????? dealer went to bat and got declined.....now I have to pay to buy new bases, or have them re powder coated........

This flat out sucks and is not how I thought a brand like Malibu we treat a customer.......... I know that the tower manufacturer Metacraft went under etc etc, but Malibu took my money so....should they not honour the warranty? If I would have been advised when I bought the boat I would agree but i wasn't.......(I bought the boat from a different dealer than the one that services it).

I had the interior emblems warrantied this year as they both started to pit...cosmetic or defective....is this not the same thing?

I have had several minor warranty claims prior to this which were looked after, the dealer treats me great and has done superb additional work (add ons) to the boat. yes it would cost Malibu $$ to honour the warranty........I was a 100% Malibu company guy, always talking about the boats, always promoting the boats etc etc......well this will dampen my enthusiasm.......

now I am going to have to shell out $$ or float around with crappy looking tower bases................Sad.gifSad.gifSad.gifSad.gif

I have a similar issue (just slight peeling around the base) on the XS tower... it's common and i believe it was only covered for 1yr. Yes, Very lame. Metcraft put too much powdercoat on the towers.

Bummer that Malibu isn't helping on this. I feel for ya. Having the bases re-powdercoated shouldn't be very expensive though.

Just another of MANY reasons why Metcraft sucks.

Bummer that Malibu isn't helping on this. I feel for ya. Having the bases re-powdercoated shouldn't be very expensive though.

Just another of MANY reasons why Metcraft sucks.

yep agree re Metacraft however it is malibu's position on this that is depressing............you would think that they would understand the power of happy owners better........

oh well not a huge issue as I will get it fixed one way or the other

OK so metcraft sucks/sucked. But I agree with the OP that that should be Malibu's problem not a buyer of a new boat. Lets be honest here... the illusion tower is probably the single biggest "branding" moves that malibu has made over the years. Makes a boat instantly recognizable as a Malibu. Which is awesome, because it also looks cool (hence the moomba / xtp venture). But to fail to support it for cosmetic reasons? That's like GM blaming it's paint vendor when the paint on your new car bubbles up. WTF?

I feel for you man I hope it all works out for you. I am afraid that Malibu may not be the company it was only a few years ago. I hope I am wrong :cry:

All true, guys. No doubt about it. Malibu leaving you out in the cold is a drag.

I just never understood why Malibu went with Metcraft in the first place if they considered all of Metcraft's previous crappy towers & lack of service. :Doh:

My suggestion would be to pull the tower, pull the bases, have them stripped & powdercoated. Replace the bushing & pins. And reassemble. And tell everyone about it. I'd be the biggest thorn in their side ever.

I agree, Malibu needs to step up. I thought I was buying a boat from a company that was 'a cut above' . We all know they are making a TON of money at the prices they charge.

All true, guys. No doubt about it. Malibu leaving you out in the cold is a drag.

I just never understood why Malibu went with Metcraft in the first place if they considered all of Metcraft's previous crappy towers & lack of service. :Doh:

My suggestion would be to pull the tower, pull the bases, have them stripped & powdercoated. Replace the bushing & pins. And reassemble. And tell everyone about it. I'd be the biggest thorn in their side ever.

yep that is the direction I am heading............sucks because the tower is great outside of the bubbling bases.............

Maybe you should give Blake Moore a call himself. He is head of customer service. I had a problem with my tower cracking. They replaced it, but with the wrong color ( I ordered mine yellow to match my boat). I told them that wasn't going to cut it, and they stepped up to make it right and yellow again. It took 6 months, but Blake heard my cries and helped.

Maybe you should give Blake Moore a call himself. He is head of customer service. I had a problem with my tower cracking. They replaced it, but with the wrong color ( I ordered mine yellow to match my boat). I told them that wasn't going to cut it, and they stepped up to make it right and yellow again. It took 6 months, but Blake heard my cries and helped.

Great advise.....just got his name today and he will be on the call list tomorrow......

jkendallmsce

Man I just want to vent a bit and it is directed at Malibu Corp.......... I am 1 year into a 3 year warranty and am having issues already with the warranty. I specifically bought a boat with a full warranty because I wanted the boat to be covered for a period of time, basically trouble free cost wise re defects etc.........

well since day one I have had minor issues with the illusion tower, which my dealer has been awesome coming up with fixes for me. Well the powder coat is now all bubbling on the bases and will soon be peeling off. when the dealer filled the claim it got declined because it is "cosmetic?". Ok I agree it is, but it is also defective????? dealer went to bat and got declined.....now I have to pay to buy new bases, or have them re powder coated........

This flat out sucks and is not how I thought a brand like Malibu we treat a customer.......... I know that the tower manufacturer Metacraft went under etc etc, but Malibu took my money so....should they not honour the warranty? If I would have been advised when I bought the boat I would agree but i wasn't.......(I bought the boat from a different dealer than the one that services it).

I had the interior emblems warrantied this year as they both started to pit...cosmetic or defective....is this not the same thing?

I have had several minor warranty claims prior to this which were looked after, the dealer treats me great and has done superb additional work (add ons) to the boat. yes it would cost Malibu $$ to honour the warranty........I was a 100% Malibu company guy, always talking about the boats, always promoting the boats etc etc......well this will dampen my enthusiasm.......

now I am going to have to shell out $$ or float around with crappy looking tower bases................Sad.gifSad.gifSad.gifSad.gif

I originally thought the problem was Mike Sanchez. But Mike is gone, and Blake is not any better. I could go on and on about some of the lame a** excuses why Malibu would not fix some of my warranty problems on my 2010 Response.

The 2010 Response came w/o a tachometer (there was a speedometer in lieu of the tach, zero off is on the right side), the ski locker did not have the hull plug installed, the hot and cold water hoses for the shower that attach to the mixing manifold located in the trunk were not attached, so everytime the engine was running hot and cold water was pumped into the boat, etc.

Just one of many: Malibu took our 2007 back due to many unfixable and not disclosed to us problems. When our 2010 arrived, Malibu removed both batteries out of the 07 and put them in the 2010. After 3 months, both batteries needed replacement. No problem, since Malibu has a one year warranty...so I thought. I was initially told that since the batteries were over 3 years old, the warranty had expired?? WTF!!! WHen I told Blake that the only reason the batteries were 3 years old, was that they had been removed from the 2007 Response, and that new batteries should have been put in the boat since we were purchasing a NEW boat!! Then Blake told me to get prices for new batteries and Malibu would pay part of the purchase price!! My response was that the batteries should still be under warranty since we had picked up the boat 3 months earlier, and 3 months is within the 12 month warranty. More BS from Blake. Finally after a month of emails and phone calls, Malibu put 2 new batteries in the boat.

The JBL head unit is a POS, but because it is integrated into the MUX switches, it is nearly imposible to replace. After the stereo was installed by a shop that I have used for decades. I noticed a constant buzz when the engine was running. Malibu told me that installing aftermarket components (JL Audio amps and Boston Acoustics Pro60 speakers) may lead to incompatibility issues!! really!! Songs stored on the NAND will not be there the next time the boat is used. I was told I am saving them the wrong way!!

I have owned Malibus for 20 years. It is my observation that since Malibu has changed hands, there are too many nerdy bean counters that are not familiar with the recreation industry and those same nerdy bean counters are dealing with an economy the likes have not been seen since the Depression.

Malibu has tried to outdo the competition by installing bells and whistles that are untested, which has created recalls and crews going around the country replacing defective parts.

Man I just want to vent...

Is this boat a 2007 like it says on your profile?

I originally thought the problem was Mike Sanchez. But Mike is gone, and Blake is not any better. I could go on and on about some of the lame a** excuses why Malibu would not fix some of my warranty problems on my 2010 Response.

The 2010 Response came w/o a tachometer (there was a speedometer in lieu of the tach, zero off is on the right side), the ski locker did not have the hull plug installed, the hot and cold water hoses for the shower that attach to the mixing manifold located in the trunk were not attached, so everytime the engine was running hot and cold water was pumped into the boat, etc.

That is a dealer problem...no doubt about it. They are supposed to prep the boat...Did you see a $500 or more prep fee?

Just one of many: Malibu took our 2007 back due to many unfixable and not disclosed to us problems. When our 2010 arrived, Malibu removed both batteries out of the 07 and put them in the 2010. After 3 months, both batteries needed replacement. No problem, since Malibu has a one year warranty...so I thought. I was initially told that since the batteries were over 3 years old, the warranty had expired?? WTF!!! WHen I told Blake that the only reason the batteries were 3 years old, was that they had been removed from the 2007 Response, and that new batteries should have been put in the boat since we were purchasing a NEW boat!! Then Blake told me to get prices for new batteries and Malibu would pay part of the purchase price!! My response was that the batteries should still be under warranty since we had picked up the boat 3 months earlier, and 3 months is within the 12 month warranty. More BS from Blake. Finally after a month of emails and phone calls, Malibu put 2 new batteries in the boat.

Your dealer sucks that he did that...

The JBL head unit is a POS, but because it is integrated into the MUX switches, it is nearly imposible to replace. After the stereo was installed by a shop that I have used for decades. I noticed a constant buzz when the engine was running. Malibu told me that installing aftermarket components (JL Audio amps and Boston Acoustics Pro60 speakers) may lead to incompatibility issues!! really!! Songs stored on the NAND will not be there the next time the boat is used. I was told I am saving them the wrong way!!

Your stereo shop is the cause.....

I have owned Malibus for 20 years. It is my observation that since Malibu has changed hands, there are too many nerdy bean counters that are not familiar with the recreation industry and those same nerdy bean counters are dealing with an economy the likes have not been seen since the Depression.

Malibu has tried to outdo the competition by installing bells and whistles that are untested, which has created recalls and crews going around the country replacing defective parts.

I don't even own a Malibu yet, and I side with them on your particular issues.

Edited by TallRedRider

jkendallmsce...........About the battery.......batteries are optional when you buy a new boat. Did you pay for new batteries? Check your invoice.

About the JBL.....definitely a POS, but your installer is to blame for noise in the system.

I have also noticed changes in customer service and warranty issues since Malibu changed hands. I still get my stuff done, but my dealer has to work a little harder on my behalf. I have been told that all manufacturers have tightened up on their warranties. Considering the prices we pay, that should not be the case.

Edited by skyskier

It's already been explained to him that the shower is his dealer's/his responsibility as all boats are winterized at factory. He is of the belief that since he bought from malibu they should have hooked it up. So they take the 07 in, send him out with a 2010, at the factory level, and he is still griping!

jkendallmsce

It's already been explained to him that the shower is his dealer's/his responsibility as all boats are winterized at factory. He is of the belief that since he bought from malibu they should have hooked it up. So they take the 07 in, send him out with a 2010, at the factory level, and he is still griping!

Gee I feel sooo dumb now, not having you at my side when dealing with Malibu!!! ha ha

And where did the rumor of the boat being winterized get started?? No has ever said anything about a boat being winterized. Other than all new boats leaving the factory, have hoses and sensors disconnected.

Or maybe it is cause you don't know sh*t about what was said, what was written, what the agreement was and the circumstances as to why Malibu took the 07 back. Malibu is in the business to SELL boats.

And one of the sayings my papi told me was, "only a fool bases his opinion of half of the story!" And in this case, you don't even have 1/2 the story!!

Gee I feel sooo dumb now, not having you at my side when dealing with Malibu!!! ha ha

And where did the rumor of the boat being winterized get started?? No has ever said anything about a boat being winterized. Other than all new boats leaving the factory, have hoses and sensors disconnected.

Or maybe it is cause you don't know sh*t about what was said, what was written, what the agreement was and the circumstances as to why Malibu took the 07 back. Malibu is in the business to SELL boats.

And one of the sayings my papi told me was, "only a fool bases his opinion of half of the story!" And in this case, you don't even have 1/2 the story!!

I would say all hoses and sensors disconnected = winterization

That is the reason they leave the factory like that so they don't end up popping a block on the way to the dealer, or while under wrap at the dealers lot. ALL boat manufactures do it this way, even in the middle of the summer.

yep, it is a 2007, bought it new last year from a California dealer. One of the reasons i bought it was a full 3 year "new boat warranty". It was put into service dec 2009.....actually hit the water for the first time Feb 2010.....

really? my tower is bubbling, it has a full warranty and u side with them?

strange man, strange.....

BB,

Read my post. You can see that it is broken apart as separate responses. I simply asked you what year the boat was. The rest was directed at the other guy. It seemed unusual to have warranty discussions about a 2007 boat. I see your situation now. Best of luck getting this resolved.

Sorry that the other poster broke in and was venting on your thread, gives half the story, and then he criticizes me for stating an opinion based on half the story. Clearly he is looking for an axe to grind.

Ill respond in order

Have no idea what youre referring to

Rumor? Youre the one griping about malibu whle youre pumping water from your shower because YOU didnt check your connections.

Dont need to, just commenting on you being the same person raising cane about the winterization of your new boat at malibu when malibu warrantied your 2007.

Ok, call me a fool. Youre the one who coldnt figure out why your boat was taking on water. I dont need a papi to tell me malibu wishes you bought a nautique no matter how many you have had.

To op, you have powdercoat issues on a product not even made by malibu and which is now out of biz. Im having a hard time agreeing with you but malibu will be reasonable in my experience. Good luck.

FWIW - bought mine in 08' love the boat and the dealer - when I took delivery the chrome was pitted - they replaced all of the emblems including the instrument bezels, why just last night we put on the new steering wheel cap.

just to play the devils advocate - Malibu stepped up for me and I didn't have to resort to calling anyone - I did however have to be very patient. I also go out of my way to catch up with the local malibu reps at the boat shows.

far as my IX tower - never any issues - some peeling on the base - nothing I wouldn't expect with normal wear and tear. when/if my tower (or anything major) begins to keep me off the lake - I'll simply upgrade - probably to another Malibu

sorry to hear you've had so many issues - and the reason I purchased new was for the same reasons - no headaches/no hassles. so far so good in our case.

BB,

Read my post. You can see that it is broken apart as separate responses. I simply asked you what year the boat was. The rest was directed at the other guy. It seemed unusual to have warranty discussions about a 2007 boat. I see your situation now. Best of luck getting this resolved.

Sorry that the other poster broke in and was venting on your thread, gives half the story, and then he criticizes me for stating an opinion based on half the story. Clearly he is looking for an axe to grind.

got it sorry man........should have picked up on that......may bad

FWIW - bought mine in 08' love the boat and the dealer - when I took delivery the chrome was pitted - they replaced all of the emblems including the instrument bezels, why just last night we put on the new steering wheel cap.

just to play the devils advocate - Malibu stepped up for me and I didn't have to resort to calling anyone - I did however have to be very patient. I also go out of my way to catch up with the local malibu reps at the boat shows.

far as my IX tower - never any issues - some peeling on the base - nothing I wouldn't expect with normal wear and tear. when/if my tower (or anything major) begins to keep me off the lake - I'll simply upgrade - probably to another Malibu

sorry to hear you've had so many issues - and the reason I purchased new was for the same reasons - no headaches/no hassles. so far so good in our case.

I have not had alot of issue....minor and same they have replaced emblems, tow ball, etc....but when it came to the tower it was a different story. Until last week I was happy with the way they stood behind things. I am willing to bet that if metacraft was still making malibu towers they would be looking after my issue. I look at things differently, I have modified or customized my boat alot in the last year, i have a few more things planned.....last thing i want to do is trade in if things under warranty as not being looked after. I love the boat, the way it rides, the wake, the size (fits perfect in garage) etc.........

I hope they step up..........

jkendallmsce

I would say all hoses and sensors disconnected = winterization

That is the reason they leave the factory like that so they don't end up popping a block on the way to the dealer, or while under wrap at the dealers lot. ALL boat manufactures do it this way, even in the middle of the summer.

I suggest you check with Malibu as to what they do to ship a boat. And just why Malibu disconnects the hoses when shipping.!!

Why would you disconnnect the sensors to winterize a boat??? ANd if winterizing, where is the stablize juice, fogging the cylinders, and all the other steps taken when winterizing a boat. I have Malibu checklist if you'd like to see what all is done.

You reply is idiotic.

All the comments about "it's a metcraft tower" etc.

In the end, it's a Malibu tower, and thats who got the money for it, and that is who should step up and make it right. Powder coating should not be coming off within a couple of years, and since he has a 3 year warranty, well seems pretty clear to me.