Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf style wakesurfer?

Dexter

I'd like to purchase a surf style board for this season. I did try the search and found some good info, mostly on the triple x boards. Anyone have experience with both? Which one you'd recommend for a 195 lb guy?

Go with the slasher or the new nitro that's new this year. I have both and love the slasher, haven't ridden the nitro yet just got it last night but its supposed to be a little faster than the slasher. Most of the new 2011 boards are epoxy so they will be more durable than most of the boards last year. The slasher is fiberglass so a little fragile.

Just curious...is there a performance or weight difference between epoxy and fiberglass boards? If not, I would think epoxy is the way to go for durability, yes?

Go with the slasher or the new nitro that's new this year. I have both and love the slasher, haven't ridden the nitro yet just got it last night but its supposed to be a little faster than the slasher. Most of the new 2011 boards are epoxy so they will be more durable than most of the boards last year. The slasher is fiberglass so a little fragile.

Thanks. I saw some pics of the nitro. Would you recommend 4'8'' or 5'?

Just curious...is there a performance or weight difference between epoxy and fiberglass boards? If not, I would think epoxy is the way to go for durability, yes?

My impression is the fiberglass ones are lighter/faster. Don't have much experience with them though :dontknow:

Have you looked at the Walker Bullet? Very nice surf style board and a traditional foam fiberglass fast and responsive. Its is funny how fast you can progress in this sport so dont get a "beginner board" unless you want a boat board everyone can use. If you like the surf style they are one of the best if you like skim the IS pearl is nice

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/wake-surfing/wake-surf-boards/j-walker-model/

Cool, thanks.

Here's the new bamboo Nitro I picked up yesterday. I like it, the white traction pad is gonna get hammered though. Crappy phone pics.

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

There is, epoxy is heavier so you don't have as much "feel" as you would with fiberglass. You tend to feel the wave more with a fiberglass board.

Epoxy is more durable so its a give or take, i've riden and owned both styles and to be honest i liked both of them.

We just got a ton of XXX boards in stock at Bake's so if you need any info on them give us a hollar. We just got them in so we don't have them up online yet.

-Paul

Here's the other I picked up. It's a epoxy skim style board.

IMAG0095.jpg

Didn't even get the Bake's price tag peeled off yet ;) i need to give you some Bake's declas to dress that board up!

-Paul

Didn't even get the Bake's price tag peeled off yet ;) i need to give you some Bake's declas to dress that board up!

-Paul

Oops, it's fresh out of the proshop....

coming from the Koal, would the nitro or slasher be a better choice? I like the Koal but want something a little faster. And if I can get it, more durable. But that might be a lost cause.

coming from the Koal, would the nitro or slasher be a better choice? I like the Koal but want something a little faster. And if I can get it, more durable. But that might be a lost cause.

I personally think the slasher is the same board as the 2010 Koal. The Nirtro will be faster than the Koal/Slasher and it's epoxy so it will be much more durable.

Epoxy and Fiberglass are both parts of the same thing.

Fiberglass refers to the cloth that the boats, surfboard outsides, etc are made from.

The resin is either polyester of epoxy. Typically the polyesters have been more UV stable, and usually cheaper to work with than the epoxy's which are typically stronger and not as UV stable (i.e. UV inhibitor must be added or paint)

Sometimes an epoxy board can be "stiffer" than a standard polyester board

See here for more info:

http://www.islesurfboards.com/epoxy-surfboards-buyers-guide.aspx

(I've got nothing to do with the above company, they just have a good comparison on their site)

i really don't know the scientific chemical differences but I do know that the epoxy boards are a hell of a lot more substantial and stand up to abuse way better.

Edited by 06vlx

i really don't know the scientific chemical differences but I do know that the epoxy boards are a hell of a lot more substantial and stand up to abuse way better.

I have 2 for sale, a XXX and a Ronix, They are brand new.

$300.00 for the Ronix and $500.00 for the XXX

post-12114-006656800 1301615491_thumb.jp

post-12114-038424200 1301615516_thumb.jp

I have 2 for sale, a XXX and a Ronix, They are brand new.

$300.00 for the Ronix and $500.00 for the XXX

post-12114-006656800 1301615491_thumb.jp

post-12114-038424200 1301615516_thumb.jp

You might wanna check your price. The xxx is way more than a new one.