Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock SS Prop.

I have a 98 Sunsetter/Wakesetter, it has the stock SS propeller on it and it seems to be fine. I have heard of a few of them that have come apart? Should I change it just to be on the safe side or do you think it will be ok?

Oh ya - only 128 hours on the boat....

Thanks in advance for the great answers I know I will get..... :)

Edited by R1LOVER
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doughickey

• R1LOVER

• Rip6@36

• VinRLX

Have read of the possible blade separation. Keep it as a spare, buy an ACME or OJ XMP and enjoy better performance with more peace of mind.

Yea we all counteract one another. Personally I would buy a spare for it as the stainless props had great performance. The reason for the seperation is they machined them so the blades would come off if they hit anything so they don't take out the tranny.

Personally I would buy a spare for it as the stainless props had great performance.

Are there areas where the SS props are better than the CNC NiBrAl props? I am curious as I have never experienced this.

I know they take more of a beating and survive. I saw an ACME fold over like a tulip from a minimal hit. I have also been in a RLX with the SS and hit a telephone pole (ok that is exaggerating, but it was a big piece of wood) and no damage.

That's correct, two of the first accessories you should buy are a prop and a puller since you never know when you can hit something. Also, you don't want to be the unlucky one who hits something and has to be off the water for a week because either the dealer doesn't have a prop or you have to order one.

Ok who to listen to ????????????????

If I hit something than that is one thing, but what I'm afraid of is the prop coming apart and going through the hull Cry.gif that wouldn't be good

Ok - I guess I will buy a different prop............

Now the question which one and where?

Edited by R1LOVER

I have had a SS for years. I really don't think it is going to just fly apart. Never heard of such a thing. The biggest difference in a SS prop vs aluminum or brass is that the aluminum is softer and will sacrifice itself if you hit something. The aluminum prop will be damaged, but the shaft will not. With a SS prop, you may hit something hard and the shock will not damage the prop, but will damage your shaft, a much more expensive repair.

I have to say, I have bumped into some pretty nasty stuff and both the SS prop and shaft have been just fine. When I ran aluminum props, I was always in the shop for prop repair because they get damaged very easily. We run aluminum props in our water ski show, in all the tow boats and pickup boats and we have constant prop repair.

Edited by summerfun

Just to clear a few things up, not all SS props are created equal. The one that the OP posted about is a CVP, & as mentioned they do have a reputation for blades separating as well as overall subpar performance. CVP is now out of business if that tells you anything. I would strongly recommend buying a second prop & running it as your daily, keeping the SS as your backup. I've heard too many bad things about the CVP props to believe that it's a good idea for daily useage. Of course, YMMV.

Just to clear a few things up, not all SS props are created equal.  The one that the OP posted about is a CVP, & as mentioned they do have a reputation for blades separating as well as overall subpar performance.  CVP is now out of business if that tells you anything.  I would strongly recommend buying a second prop & running it as your daily, keeping the SS as your backup.  I've heard too many bad things about the CVP props to believe that it's a good idea for daily useage.  Of course, YMMV.

Are these new props SS or Alum? The one that stands out to me is the OJ XMP 13x12 is this the right one for my boat and is it SS or Alum?

Thanks

What I'm looking for is a SS replacment prop that will be better than what I have now and I won't have to worry about the fins flying throught the boat! :lol

Edited by R1LOVER
The OJ XMP is a cnc nibral prop, very similar to the Acme cnc.  The 13x12 is *probably* the right size, but really you should try before you buy to be sure.

Sorry for all the questions but you say try before you buy? Do the dealers really let you try it out first before you buy it? Or are you saying borrow someone's and then decide?

Is the SS prop heavier than nibral? Does it shift differently- clunk, etc? I know on I/O's (heavin forbid I have experiance with those) going from alum to SS causes harder shifting (bigger thump going into gear)

@R1

Some do, it just depends. If you have the opportunity to, then definitely. Otherwise do your best to judge from where you're at now with your stock prop with regard to rpms at WOT vs. the size of the prop & do your best to extrapolate from there. If you run into questions, we might be able to help. Also, Jim @ Acme is a great resource for this stuff. I can't remember his counterpart's name at OJ, but they've got a good guy as well that you can speak with.

Just to clear a few things up, not all SS props are created equal.  The one that the OP posted about is a CVP, & as mentioned they do have a reputation for blades separating as well as overall subpar performance.  CVP is now out of business if that tells you anything.  I would strongly recommend buying a second prop & running it as your daily, keeping the SS as your backup.  I've heard too many bad things about the CVP props to believe that it's a good idea for daily useage.  Of course, YMMV.

WakeGirl is correct (as always) about this. CVP props were well known for developing cracks. I pulled one off of my boat last year. It had a very slight vibration. The hub was cracked length wise allowing for a little bit of play on the prop shaft. I now have a an OJ stainless steel.

Nibral is nickle, brass, and aluminum alloy. It will bend easier than stainless. Most of the time if you hit something hard enough to ruin the prop (not just bending a blade), you will have shaft damage regardless of propellor material.

Bill

I think it would be hard to compare them as the NiBrAl props are so much bigger and with the pitch changes which have occurred over the last few years. I can't say the SS has a better hole shot, because my POS CVP was thrown away. My 2nd CVP was pulled from my RLX and that is the reason for the ACME vs OJ thread. The NiBrAl props are a totally different animal than the small, OEM SS props from 97-01.

If we could conduct a SS vs NiBrAl test, with the same pitch and surface area, we would know for sure. However, that is not going to happen as the NiBrAl props have HUGE blades.

BTW:

I have seen a CVP with a thrown blade and also a 2nd cracked one in the last 3 years. It is not a myth for the mythbusters. The potential for throwing blades is as real as it gets.

search WSR, you can see pictures of the myth busted. i know the owner of one of those, and it did happen... and i do still have my POS CVP on my RLX...

Edited by jgouveia3

WOW - This thread needs some clear and professional help...... We are all over the place on this prop issue... Sounds like great content for the new site! :lol

Keep the info coming guy's - we will firgure this one out!