Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What your honest opinion on the Hammerhead Engine

liquidrider

I have An 09, bought it in July '10 so I have only put about 100 hrs on it. I have not had a problem with it other than a misfire code once in a while at high rpms, but I think that was due to them possibly being the original spark plugs in it. ( I dont think the dealer replaced them between 09-10 when it was winterized)

My is an 07, and have put over 200 hrs on it. Run great, never had a problem with it. I have to add a little oil every once in a while.

I have a 383 in our boat and haven't had any issues with it. The boats about a year old and I have around 150 hours on it - I haven't had to add any oil but I changed it three times last year.

If you're looking at that blue 06' 23lsv in Issaquah I wouldn't be to scared of it. I rarely gets used, I heard a pro baseball player owns it and never uses it. I see it all the time on the boat lift on Lake Sammamish. Paul can get you full service records on that boat. Really nice boat!

Most of the people that claim that hammerheads (07+) have issues in general usually don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Edited by 06vlx

If you're looking at that blue 06' 23lsv in Issaquah I wouldn't be to scared of it. I rarely gets used, I heard a pro baseball player owns it and never uses it. I see it all the time on the boat lift on Lake Sammamish. Paul can get you full service records on that boat. Really nice boat!

I haven't seen that one. Where is it located?

I haven't seen that one. Where is it located?

Check the Seattle Craigslist, very clean boat and rarely used. LOW hours. It's in Issaquah on Lake Sammamish.

Edited by 06vlx

I put 850 hours on a 2004 and 250 hours on a 2008. I had low oil pressure alarm issues with the 2004. Switched to 50 W oil and that took care of it. I should add that I run on a nuke lake where the water temp is 16 degrees higher than a non nuke lake. The 2008 had no problems at all even with the recommended 15W 40. (an external oil cooler was added in 2008)

I ride with 3 guys who have either an 05 or 06. Only issues any of them have had are consuming oil. Sometimes it seems like a lot (to me) only because they will get the low oil pressure alarm, immediately stop whatever we're doing & add oil to it. Even if we have a rider out at the end of the rope. I guess they have been warned. :whistle:

I ride with 3 guys who have either an 05 or 06. Only issues any of them have had are consuming oil. Sometimes it seems like a lot (to me) only because they will get the low oil pressure alarm, immediately stop whatever we're doing & add oil to it. Even if we have a rider out at the end of the rope. I guess they have been warned. :whistle:

I love my 06 HH, but it does use a lot of oil and has ever since new. Probably goes through a quart every 15-20 hours, so I carry several on board. It runs like no tomorrow and has plenty of torque with the 1235 prop to pull my fully ballasted/ loaded with crew 247 out of the hole without any problems. Indmar offered up the "fix" by sending out new, remarked dipsticks to those with 06 vintage HH. It basically increases the oil requirement by a quart. That pretty much did away with the low oil alarms, unless you forget to check it. :whistle:

It's a good looking boat, only problem it's a long way from Atlanta.

I thought you were looking at another boat around there. Must have been another member?

Mine is a bit older. It is a 2000 365hp. I changed the water temp sensor, and the thermostat to a 180*. That reduced the amount of fuel that bypasses the piston rings and get into the oil because they have this year model set to run pretty rich. No mechanical issues, runs great.

06 383HH. We bought it used with approx. 250 hrs. It currently has 382 hrs. No problems whatsoever (knocking on wood). I just changed the plugs and fuel filter. This weekend will be the impeller, then cap/rotor. I'm hoping I did everything right and she continues to run flawlessly.

By the way, yes it is possible to change all the plugs without removing the exhaust manifold. The job is a PITA but doable.

Mine is as tight as can be 300 + hrs 0 oil consumption and we run with a lot of weight. The only issue is with the oil change its hard to get 5 qts out. I typically let it drain for a couple of days then put the pump on it for good measure but since we change every 50 hrs its not that big of a concern.