Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaving pumps attached to bags...will this work?

NormRD

I have 2 750 surf sacs that I use in each locker. Typically we fill each up 1/2ish to wakeboard or just one full on each side to surf.

My question is I have 4 pumps and wanted to just leave all 4 connected to just speed up the process. A fill and drain pump on each side. Wanted to connect drain to rear most/bottom of bag and fill to top front of bags.

Would there be any problems with doing this? Will the fill and drain properly? Or will I have to worry about water coming out drain pump while filling?

You're only a few pieces away from an automated system! I think filling might push through your drain pump. You'll also have air to burp out of the bag with no vent...

if the line connected to the drain pump is below the bag I think it will drain........if u just put a plug in the end of the hose (use the one from the bag) this will solve the issue

Filling was the main concern since the drain pump will be at the bottom, will remember to plug the end of the drain hose. As for siphoning, didn't think that would be too much of an issue since when draining the fill hose will be out of the water.

Again, with this system, same as throwing pumps over the side just leaving connected so all I have to do is throw hose over and plug in....if want to fill or drain both sides at same time can do that also. Or if switching sides for surfing can drain one and fill the other at same time. I know not quite automated and I looked into that, but my system is mostly automatic as the rest of the guys who i ride with do it when i tell them too :)

So will the other issue be the air? In a true automated system what does the vent do? Not thinking I will need them since it is basically a "closed" system. Pumps are connected, but the fill will be out of the water so no "pressure" in the system.

Edited by NormRD

Filling was the main concern since the drain pump will be at the bottom, will remember to plug the end of the drain hose. As for siphoning, didn't think that would be too much of an issue since when draining the fill hose will be out of the water.

Again, with this system, same as throwing pumps over the side just leaving connected so all I have to do is throw hose over and plug in....if want to fill or drain both sides at same time can do that also. Or if switching sides for surfing can drain one and fill the other at same time. I know not quite automated and I looked into that, but my system is mostly automatic as the rest of the guys who i ride with do it when i tell them too :)

So will the other issue be the air? In a true automated system what does the vent do? Not thinking I will need them since it is basically a "closed" system. Pumps are connected, but the fill will be out of the water so no "pressure" in the system.

Here is what I do. You will need "Y" valves "home depot" and check valves "west marine."

1. The sac will need to face with the drain fitting forward.

2. Connect a 90 deg elbow at the drain fitting on the sac.

3. After the elbow install a "Y" fitting

4. One side of the "Y" run a line from your fill pump. Note install a check valve in this line. No loops needed.

5. The other side of the "Y" install a pump to pump the sac out. You will need a loop on this line.

Note; I would run the surf sac drain pump hose out the other side of the boat. If the surf sac is on the port side then run the drain line out the starboard.

With this set up, you will not have to turn valves or hook up pumps. Just push switches.

Edited by waterborne