Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Grease for rudder

I have the fuel tank out of my 98 response (what a pain to get out) and before I put it back in the boat I thought I would grease the two grease fittings where the steering cable attaches to the arm that moves the rudder.

What type grease should I use? I have the green marine grease in my gun already will that work?

It will start coming back out of the zerk fitting that you're connected to.

We have never put greese into the rudder, just found the zert fitting. This should be good. How much to you think it take. I have the aqua greese I use for the trailer buddy bearings would that work. Or should I get something else?

Use the green marine trailer bearing buddy grease.

Do not put more than 2 full pumps into each fitting. Pump the grease in slowly while someone is turning the wheel full lock-to-lock.

Too much grease will actually lock the rudder up, be careful and make sure you have steering after putting grease in.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone had trouble getting the grease in? I have nice clean zert fittings, but the grease will not go in, even when turning steering wheel. Any suggestions? Should I replace the fittings, or pull one out and see if any grease is going in? :(

Pulled one out and tried to pump grease in, no luck, pulled the other one out, tried to pump grease in, it did not work either, with the zert fittings out they allow grease to flow very easily. I was able able to get a little of the old grease out it was the consistancy of caulk. What is the best way to clean out the old stiff grease out. After trying to force the old out my stearing got really stiff.