Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding cruise to an 02 Sunsetter...what would you do?

dtm8119

Hey everyone - So last year about this time, me and a friend picked up a 02' Sunsetter LXI. It's been an awesome boat so far...spent a ton of time skiing behind it, and this spring picked up a used slalom course for our lake. The next logical thing to get/add to the boat would be some sort of speed control, since the boat we got didn't come from the factory with perfect pass.

What route would you guys go for getting something for our boat? Are used systems out there and available? We are hoping to find something that won't break the bank, but still will have some good accuracy.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Edited by dtm8119

Right around 15 to 22 off...hopefully better by the end of this summer though :) Hand driving probably isn't an issue for me and my buddy when we are driving...but if I have my Dad or girlfriend drive, that's where having cruise will come in real handy.

Perfectpass is the way to go. Let's an inexperienced driver focus on more important things and gives you a consistent pull.

Used systems are hard to come by though.

It will depend on how big the bank is...

I put PP StarGazer on my 01 Sunsetter a few years back - It was $$, but well worth it.

It took me about 5 hours for the install - most of that was pulling (and re-pulling) the wires and looking up other info for wiring.

The PP guys are great to work with if you get an older system.

Get in touch with Brandon Cruse, www.CentralKYInboards.co, 859-396-0518, or Tim White at Inboard Solutions, LLC, 334-301-2729, [email protected]. Brandon can hook you up with used systems and Tim can give you options as well. Both can get you a new system for a little less than you will pay if you order directly from PP in Canada. And don't forget to ask about magnets and sensors.

Edit: Going back through my e-mails, I would talk to Brandon about used and Tim about new.

Edited by jjackkrash

Oh, and there are alot of used Stargazer systems out there for DBW boats (people are switching to Zero Off). They will not work with a mechanical throttle. So be sure if you get a used system that it will work with your boat.

Edited by jjackkrash

Having a perfect pass or similar will make your day on the lake a much better experience! No matter how good of a driver you are, it's hard to beat automatic speed control. I think it's worth every penny spent.

Having a perfect pass or similar will make your day on the lake a much better experience! No matter how good of a driver you are, it's hard to beat automatic speed control. I think it's worth every penny spent.

Having a perfect pass will make your day on the lake exactly equal to good hand driving. Cruise is nice but way overrated.

Having a perfect pass will make your day on the lake exactly equal to good hand driving. Cruise is nice but way overrated.

The key word is "good" hand driving. It takes a lot of practice to get good at hand driving to hit times without killing the skier--probably more than it takes to get good at skiing the course and I know because, yes, I am that old--and its mostly a lost art. Speed control takes some of the fun and skill out of driving, but that is also the whole point of it.

Edited by jjackkrash

Overrated assuming you have a good driver available to you at all times, and the OP said he doesn't so PP is a great option for him to install. I very much doubt he'll think its overrated.

Many people have upgraded to StarGazer and have old master modules and gauges to sell. For about $400 bucks you can add the additional parts necessary for a complete 3 event system. I actually have a module and gauge in inventory that one of my buddies keeps sayiing he wants to buy...but hasn't done it yet. I'm giving him one more chance, and if he doesn't take it this spring it's going up for sale.

I ski with very good drivers. However, the addition of PP has been worth every penny as others have said. I wish I did not wait a couple of years after getting my boat to install it.

Just curious...eyepeeler, do you ski in the course or trick ski? Do you have PP? You are one of the first people I've heard argue that PP is overrated.

Many people have upgraded to StarGazer and have old master modules and gauges to sell. For about $400 bucks you can add the additional parts necessary for a complete 3 event system. I actually have a module and gauge in inventory that one of my buddies keeps sayiing he wants to buy...but hasn't done it yet. I'm giving him one more chance, and if he doesn't take it this spring it's going up for sale.

I ski with very good drivers. However, the addition of PP has been worth every penny as others have said. I wish I did not wait a couple of years after getting my boat to install it.

Just curious...eyepeeler, do you ski in the course or trick ski? Do you have PP? You are one of the first people I've heard argue that PP is overrated.

I ran 5 at 39 last year with cruise. Cruise is fine. I ski the same without cruise. I'm just trying to point out that you don't have to have cruise to ski well or have fun.

There is one other way to keep your speed more uniform than spending the big bucks on Perfect Pass.

I make the argument that going down in propellor pitch allows you to maintain a more perfect speed.

That is by going to a lower pitch prop your engine will be turning more RPMs say 200 to 300 more.

The reason why this works is because your engine is not having as heavy a torque load at that same speed but rather has more than enough power to hold that speed perfectly. This is assuming that your engine does not "hunt" at the same throttle position. Most inboards do not hunt.

The reason most inboards do not hunt is because they tend to have more hull in the water than an equivalent Inboard/Outboard. This is because one of the design parameters of a ski boat is constant speed and tracking.

The added benefit is that under load, say an additional observer / camera-man does not affect your hole shot as much when getting up.

Just a thought because you can get the low pitch prop for a third of the cost of Perfect Pass.

I ran 5 at 39 last year with cruise. Cruise is fine. I ski the same without cruise. I'm just trying to point out that you don't have to have cruise to ski well or have fun.

Are you talking about the cruisee ppass system?

We have some great drivers too but with the added benefit of pass timing and fine tuning the heat at one ball, I think ppass is the best value in the entire industry.

Are you talking about the cruisee ppass system?

We have some great drivers too but with the added benefit of pass timing and fine tuning the heat at one ball, I think ppass is the best value in the entire industry.

PP

PP

What does that mean?

I'm just trying to figure out what you're even talking about you kept using "cruise". PPass had a system called cruise....you talking about that or digital pro or wakeboard pro or what?

I agree cruise is overrated btw. Digital pro? absolutely not.

What does that mean?

I'm just trying to figure out what you're even talking about you kept using "cruise". PPass had a system called cruise....you talking about that or digital pro or wakeboard pro or what?

I agree cruise is overrated btw. Digital pro? absolutely not.

Digital Pro came standard on the 01 RLX which is what I have. I kill 38 with Digital Pro or hand driving. If you have read my previous posts, you will see that PP Digital Pro and good hand driving with stout times feel the same to me and I run the same number of buoys with each.

At what level are you guys skiing? Just keep hand driving and save money for gas.

Have you checked ski it again? You might find a used cruise for $600.

Just checked SIA. They have one for $390.

PP

Digital Pro came standard on the 01 RLX which is what I have. I kill 38 with Digital Pro or hand driving. If you have read my previous posts, you will see that PP Digital Pro and good hand driving with stout times feel the same to me and I run the same number of buoys with each.

Then why do you refer to cruise, which is a different system? And why are you focused on your scores with good driving as the reason for not recommending ppass? Either way, the entire point of ppass is to simulate a good hand driver anyway. OP said he doesn't have experienced drivers. Cruise is a waste, digital pro for someone without experienced drivers, in my opinion, absolutely not. In fact I consider it a necessity for any beginner course drivers so they can pay attention to the other aspects of driving until it becomes second nature. Sorry to disgaree with you but I don't know that your personal experience with teh "feel" of ppass makes it such that ppass is a waste for OP. :unsure:

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Then why do you refer to cruise, which is a different system? And why are you focused on your scores with good driving as the reason for not recommending ppass? OP said he doesn't have experienced drivers. Cruise is a waste, digital pro for someone without experienced drivers, absolutely not.

Either way, the entire point of ppass is to simulate a good hand driver anyway.

Sorry man, I didn't know anyone slalomed with the generic cruise. When I say cruise, I am referring to Digital Pro, PPSG, or ZO. Or if you go way back, Accuski and BTS. Actually both Accuski and BTS were good systems, just didn't have the business muscle that PP did.

Sorry man, I didn't know anyone slalomed with the generic cruise. When I say cruise, I am referring to Digital Pro, PPSG, or ZO. Or if you go way back, Accuski and BTS. Actually both Accuski and BTS were good systems, just didn't have the business muscle that PP did.

OK, well at least now we're both clear as to what you're referring to. :biggrin:

But you still think ppass is overrated for a novice course-driver? Have to say that's the first time I've ever heard that but to each his own.