Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Hesitation Problem - Help!

While boating yesterday in my '98 Sunsetter LX we ran into an engine problem. The boat ran terrific for about 2 hours (we were towing a tube). On the next run while accelerating, the engine stuttered/hesitated for a half second (starting around 2000 rpm) , it did it again as the rpms climbed. The problem never went away. The engine idled fine and ran at low rpms fine but this problem kept happening the rest of the day. This is the Indmar 325 HP engine - direct drive. The gas was fresh - I had poured water remover and injector cleaner in the gas tank a couple weeks earlier (the boat ran fine then). The boat had been serviced at the dealer new fuel filter etc. Any ideas what the problem could be?

The problems is pulling that tube. Your boat finally had enough with pulling a tube when it should have been pulling a slalom skier. Find the nearest dumpster and throw your tube and all other inflatables into the dumpster. Drive away and don't look back. Your boat will start running flawlessly again.

While boating yesterday in my '98 Sunsetter LX we ran into an engine problem. The boat ran terrific for about 2 hours (we were towing a tube). On the next run while accelerating, the engine stuttered/hesitated for a half second (starting around 2000 rpm) , it did it again as the rpms climbed. The problem never went away. The engine idled fine and ran at low rpms fine but this problem kept happening the rest of the day. This is the Indmar 325 HP engine - direct drive. The gas was fresh - I had poured water remover and injector cleaner in the gas tank a couple weeks earlier (the boat ran fine then). The boat had been serviced at the dealer new fuel filter etc. Any ideas what the problem could be?

I would start by changing the fuel filter again....easy and cheap. I know it sounds funny to do this but your symptoms seem very much like a fuel filter. Maybe some sediment got kicked up or loosened up.

if it runs swell below 2000 rpm and won't climb much above that engine speed consider looking at the temp. sending unit.

ecm limits rpm until the engine reaches temp.

I don't think a 98 has that control in the ECM, I think they put that in in 02.

-Chris

Could be fuel pump or fuel filter.

Make sure you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn on the boat. If you don't here it you may not be getting good head pressure and it wont reach full RPM. You may have created an open bouncing around with the tube so check all your connections. If the fuel pump is working change the fuel filter again. It may have just done its job and saved an injector.

If this doesn't work see post #2 :rofl:

The problems is pulling that tube. Your boat finally had enough with pulling a tube when it should have been pulling a slalom skier. Find the nearest dumpster and throw your tube and all other inflatables into the dumpster. Drive away and don't look back. Your boat will start running flawlessly again.

:lol: Glad someone else said it. :thumbup:

Hi People,

First time responder/poster. At a guess if your engines doesn't have EFI the fuel conditioner you added a few weeks back has probably solidified some of the build up in the fuel tank which has subsequently flown through and blocked your high speed carburettor jet. I agree with a previous poster that you should change your fuel filter and have your carburettor jets blown out with compressed air to ensure that you have resolved the issue.

M

Thanks for the responses. Some more info... I do have EFI. I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key. When the problem occurs it's always above 2K rpm. I gunned it over 3K rpm and the problem still occurred but I didn't feel like the engine was going to die -- just a quick stutter (300-400 rpm drop) and then a resumption of power. Wouldn't a blocked filter starve the engine and limit my rpm's?

Thanks for the responses. Some more info... I do have EFI. I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key. When the problem occurs it's always above 2K rpm. I gunned it over 3K rpm and the problem still occurred but I didn't feel like the engine was going to die -- just a quick stutter (300-400 rpm drop) and then a resumption of power. Wouldn't a blocked filter starve the engine and limit my rpm's?

Is this a dead spot in the RPM range that occurs at the same RPM every time or an actual drop in RPM, with accompanying increase. Some others have had fuel pressure hammering issues.

Its possible, quite a few have ran into it before. Read this to see if it applies.

It can be diagnosed easily by hooking up a fuel pressure gauge.

Only applies if the lines that connect left and right fuel rail are steel.

how long since tune up.....carbon tracking in distrubutor cap comes to mind.

Is this a dead spot in the RPM range that occurs at the same RPM every time or an actual drop in RPM, with accompanying increase. Some others have had fuel pressure hammering issues.

This problem occurs a different rpms and seems rather random -- but always above 2K rpm.

I didn't see any mention of engine temp in the preceding discussion, but there's a chance it could be your engine overheating. Given the fact that it started after some time running the boat, you might have a shredded impeller/some debris in your freshwater lines. Once the engine overheats, it will really accelerate like a dog. As long as you're tearing into the engine anyway, it's a quick check to make sure that something that simple isn't the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would update you all on the status of this issue. Recently I performed the following:

1. Drained all fuel from the tank

2. Replaced the tank fuel filter (it was oxidized and I doubt it had been replaced in 12 years - the engine filter was replaced by the dealer in March)

3. Filled it with 89 octane gas

We took the boat out this morning and ran it for an hour or so at varying rpm's (all above 2000) and a good 3-4 minutes at WOT. I'm pleased to report the problem did not reoccur. I'm cautiously optimistic we're in good shape. If anything changes I'll let you all know.

Thanks for your help 'bu crew!

:partytime:

I had the same problem with my 02' sporty. I replaced fuel filter, cap, plug wires, and cleaned fuel pump inlet screen, no change. Took it to the malibu dealer(PABOATSHOP.COM) yesterday. They said it was a faulty ignition coil and module? Code error 41. Mechanic said this was an old recall issue. Apparently, the coil/modullel emmits a FM signal that messes with the timing, causing the boat to surge and stumble.