Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anyone ever seen a Huge Spider crack in the side of a boat

liquidrider

So I flew from Atlanta to Minneapolis yesterday to buy a 2008 Wakesetter LSV. When I get there I notice a huge spider crack on the side of the boat. It's located on the drivers side just above the front axle of the trailer. It's probably 24 inches long 12 inches high. There's no sign of something hitting the boat. Its at the bottom on the hull. I've owned two Malibu's and looking to buy my third and have never heard of this on a Malibu. I've seen Supra's have this problem. It was pretty obivious this boat wasn't taken care of but did not expect this. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a small one on the left side near the back. Just as you no evidence of impact. It has not changed size or shape in the past three seasons. Give the boat a tap test to see if there is any delamination in the area. If not it is just cosmetic, and is a simle gel repair.

Take it to a body shop and get an opinion and a price to repair.

I have never seen that, and not sure i would like a boat that has that...at any price.

There are 23 lsv's around Atlanta for about the same price why did you fly to Minni? Is the boat blue and black?

Edited by Cervelo

Nice 50K boat with a huge crack in the Gel coat and you call it cosmetic.

Yes cosmetic! If you don't want it don't buy it. But the spider cracks without any delamination are cosmetic, the side of the boat is not about to fail, and can be repaired.

Yes the seller should have disclosed that there were spider cracks in the gel.

REW

When i bought my boat in Salt Lake City the seller convientely forgot to tell me about gelcoat cracks, a broken shower and blown stereo until I drove 16 hours down (actually never told me about the shower and stereo I figured that out myself). Do unto others is way beyond his capacity. It is always buyer beware but also he who holds the cash holds the power....I didn't walks away as I got the boat $6 K less than comparables and had all the issues fixed under warranty.

I agree as long as spider cracks are superficial it's just an easy fix. Still want to get them dealt with so water does not penetrate.

When I bought my Vride in a town 500 miles from me, I had a friend who lived in the area go look at the boat before I made the trip. He called me from the dealer & told me there were 2 places on the boat that concerned him, both looked like impacts from a dock or other boat, gelcoat chip with a couple of cracks coming out from it. I told the dealer about it & he confessed. We contacted the previous owner (who has been a member mere), and found out that the boat was caught in a storm while it was tied to a houseboat. The dealer brought someone in to look at the 2 damaged places (both above the rubrail & near the back of the boat). When I came to town to pick up the boat he had the guys there doing the repairs. Almost 4 yrs later & we can't see any cracks or discoloration in those two spots at all. I would have never known they were there if I hadn't seen them myself.

When i bought my boat in Salt Lake City the seller convientely forgot to tell me about gelcoat cracks, a broken shower and blown stereo until I drove 16 hours down (actually never told me about the shower and stereo I figured that out myself). Do unto others is way beyond his capacity. It is always buyer beware but also he who holds the cash holds the power....I didn't walks away as I got the boat $6 K less than comparables and had all the issues fixed under warranty.

I agree as long as spider cracks are superficial it's just an easy fix. Still want to get them dealt with so water does not penetrate.

Good move

Impact from inside the boat? I have one on the ouside of where the trunk storage is on my boat. Spin out sent a ski in the trunk sliding...enough of an impact to spider. Not as big as what you are describing.

Heck no! Still looking. The Ad said like new condition. I asked the guy several times about scratches and condition. Just glad I flew up and looked at it.

Spend the money to fly to buy a boat and find undisclosed issues. I would have been hot under the collar. Did you buy the boat anyway?

I would be hot as well. Did you consider asking for flight reimbursement considering the ad said 'Like New'?

It's located on the drivers side just above the front axle of the trailer. It's probably 24 inches long 12 inches high. There's no sign of something hitting the boat.

That sucks that you werent told about it before the trip. I have a small spider crack, even with the driver seat, at the waterline. I know for a fact it was from hitting a boat guide in a slalom course. There is not other signs of hitting anything. A small impact could cause this, without any other signs.

Nope it's huge. The worst thing is his ads back on craigslist saying new condition. What a waste of a day and money. He will get his.

Nope it's huge. The worst thing is his ads back on craigslist saying new condition. What a waste of a day and money. He will get his.

what was his response? did he defend the ad?

I have seen something like that as a result of a huge raft up...

when you see a huge line of boats all lined up side by sides 10, 15, or 20 long...the pressure on the hulls on the boats in the middle can be extreme..all the 4000lb boats pushing in at the same time in 1 direction, and then throw a few larger cruisers or cuddy's in the line and you can really bend and break some fiberglass...

Not so much an issue when the water is calm....but when and where those huge raft ups occur, there are always other boats cruising by in the area and those rollers come in and the hulls smassh together, the boats in the inside of thos huge lines expereince the most pressure... then you'd get what you are seeing...symptoms of hull stress without any impact damage. Whenever you go to a big wake competitipon and there is that line of boats right off the main pull area...huge massive wakes slamming lines of 20-40 boats together for hours..

Thats also a terrific way to break and rip off wake racks and destroy wakaboards and the rest..during raft ups... sometimes even when they are rotated inside the boat, the edges still hang out some...

Thats why when I raft up I make sure I am the one on the end. :biggrin:

Just hoping to get the word out for anyone on here looking for one. That one's not worth 50K. I guess I'm back to looking. If anyone knows of a LSV for sale hit me up.

No but dude hit me up for gas money for picking me up at the airport! Told him checks in the mail!

Dude's a total jerk, you shoud send him a bill for the flight down plus dinning expences for your trip. See how he responds to something like this.

"I appreciate you coming to the airport to pick me up saving yourself the cost of a taxi however, Due to the innacuracies or your ad and the costs associated with my trip to find the prevarications myself I believe that I should be compensated for the trouble and cost of travel. My airline ticket was $$$ pluse meals of $$$ for a total of $$$. I will expect a certified check in my hand within 30 days or I shall investigate all my leagle alternitives."

I dont think you will get anything but at least it will let him know that he needs to disclose all issues with any boat being sold.

If you know a lawyer that will write the letter for you for free it would be even better.

REW

Dude's a total jerk, you shoud send him a bill for the flight down plus dinning expences for your trip. See how he responds to something like this.

"I appreciate you coming to the airport to pick me up saving yourself the cost of a taxi however, Due to the innacuracies or your ad and the costs associated with my trip to find the prevarications myself I believe that I should be compensated for the trouble and cost of travel. My airline ticket was $$$ pluse meals of $$$ for a total of $$$. I will expect a certified check in my hand within 30 days or I shall investigate all my leagle alternitives."

I dont think you will get anything but at least it will let him know that he needs to disclose all issues with any boat being sold.

If you know a lawyer that will write the letter for you for free it would be even better.

REW

Man, wouldn't it be fun to be a fly on the wall when he got that letter?? :rofl:

REW

Was waiting for the first guy to play the lawyer card.... sue first ask questions later... makes lawyers rich and clogs the courts..... the guy did the right thing by checking out a major investment before buying.... you wouldn't buy a house or a car sight unseen. Some times you win sometimes you loose.... that's life. I was on a flight that got delayed and this guy was threatening to sue.... I had to speak up and tell him to put it back in his pants.