Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you buy a beater boat? 2007 247

TallRedRider

Seems like you could get a nice 247 for less that 5% more than your cost after fixing up the beater.

Sorry but there is something wrong when a "beater" costs you $50k.

-Chris

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 85 Barefoot

• TallRedRider

• REW

• Michigan boarder

Seems like you could get a nice 247 for less that 5% more than your cost after fixing up the beater.

Sorry but there is something wrong when a "beater" costs you $50k.

-Chris

Sorry, thought we were talking about saving some money. :crazy: For 50K you can get a real nice 23. even a nice 247 if a bit older. Keep looking.

All these responses are what usually brings me to my 50% rule. If you estimate you can get it up to a state that you are comfortable with for 50% of what you would get a mint one for go for it. BECAUSE... 50% usually turns into 75 or 80% once you get the project started.

Either way sounds like this one is not right for you.

Keep looking, the right boat is out there.

I agree price is everythingand so is paitents. The dealer in my area had a 07, 247 last year in great shape 300 hours all of the goodies in about the same price range you are looking at. Being new at this forum, one thing I do know there is a wealth of knowledge, and if you are looking for a 247 someone will find you one. Summer is almost here 70's this weekend time to hit the water even only for a shake down cruse. Good luck on finding a 247 I will keep my eyes open

CB

I agree price is everythingand so is paitents. The dealer in my area had a 07, 247 last year in great shape 300 hours all of the goodies in about the same price range you are looking at. Being new at this forum, one thing I do know there is a wealth of knowledge, and if you are looking for a 247 someone will find you one. Summer is almost here 70's this weekend time to hit the water even only for a shake down cruse. Good luck on finding a 247 I will keep my eyes open

CB

Thanks for all of the words of support. And the reminders that most of the broken stuff is cheap. I offered 42K and asked for a 1 year aftermarket warranty and I suppose that was a pretty low offer. They rejected that. I am just too risk averse to pay more. But my thinking is that even when I get it all fixed up, it will still be a boat that has a bad history, has higher hours than most in the area, and has a very mediocre trailer. Here is a pic of the boat. But I think it was taken 2 years ago unless the dealer actually broke off the tower light. And some of the scratches could probably be seen even at this distance if this had been a recent picture.

There are suckers born every day, and I suspect someone will buy it, and it might work out very well, and never have any future problems once the current issues are fixed. But I just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling.

I think when dropping 50 large, you should not be able to sleep at night....and that has happened to me, but this was split evenly between dread and excitement, so I better pass.

My ideal boat would be a 2007 under 50k, have a Titan tower, and be in reasonable condition. If anyone knows of one out there, let me know. I may drop a year, or a foot (23LSV) if I have to. Also can do an illusion tower if need be. Titan is a tough option to be inflexible with.

247rpm.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

I think the dealer expects to get more out of that color combo and the fact the 247 is more rare. You will find the right boat for you. I spent 9 months deciding on a boat, then ordered what I wanted.

Thanks for all of the words of support. And the reminders that most of the broken stuff is cheap. I offered 42K and asked for a 1 year aftermarket warranty and I suppose that was a pretty low offer. They rejected that. I am just too risk averse to pay more. But my thinking is that even when I get it all fixed up, it will still be a boat that has a bad history, has higher hours than most in the area, and has a very mediocre trailer. Here is a pic of the boat. But I think it was taken 2 years ago unless the dealer actually broke off the tower light. And some of the scratches could probably be seen even at this distance if this had been a recent picture.

There are suckers born every day, and I suspect someone will buy it, and it might work out very well, and never have any future problems once the current issues are fixed. But I just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling.

I think when dropping 50 large, you should not be able to sleep at night....and that has happened to me, but this was split evenly between dread and excitement, so I better pass.

My ideal boat would be a 2007 under 50k, have a Titan tower, and be in reasonable condition. If anyone knows of one out there, let me know. I may drop a year, or a foot (23LSV) if I have to. Also can do an illusion tower if need be. Titan is a tough option to be inflexible with.

247rpm.jpg

It was a good looking boat. :crazy: Flat out rejection of your offer, I would keep looking. :rockon:

Good luck with your search.

Man that has to be the worst interior replacement job I've ever seen! Every single cushion has folds in the vinyl!

I'd bet my bottom dollar that boat was beat to heck and just cleaned up for sale, look at the dash and the drivers seat, sunbleached for sure. And didn't see the carpets anywhere, I guess they were that bad?

-Chris

Man that has to be the worst interior replacement job I've ever seen! Every single cushion has folds in the vinyl!

I'd bet my bottom dollar that boat was beat to heck and just cleaned up for sale, look at the dash and the drivers seat, sunbleached for sure. And didn't see the carpets anywhere, I guess they were that bad?

-Chris

Ok, so maybe some "Ray Charles" upholstery shop redid the interior, was just trying to let the guy kow there are other optios out there. :yahoo: