Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you buy a beater boat? 2007 247

TallRedRider

Has there even been a description of the repairs needed?

I don't know that budgeting a replacement engine is quite needed either. Tar-like oil because it seemed dark and thick? Not saying that's good but if the guy has proof of the oil changes then I'm not sure that a new engine is needed.

No, but I mean I would compile a list anyway. I'm sure you did somethin similar on your project too, gotta go into it knowing as much as possible. And with that much abuse/neglect, I wouldn't trust any part of it that you couldn't see, like internal engine components. Has the engine been run really hot? Did he try and pull a stump out of the river? Was it run WOT endlessly? With a boat well maintained you know the answers are no. With a boat abused, it's all a guess. The owner may have let other people operate it too. Who knows. But if what you got into it covers an engine, you are safe. If you can't be safe, then I'd find a boat that someone really cared about and maintained. IMHO!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 85 Barefoot

• TallRedRider

• REW

• Michigan boarder

No, but I mean I would compile a list anyway. I'm sure you did somethin similar on your project too, gotta go into it knowing as much as possible. And with that much abuse/neglect, I wouldn't trust any part of it that you couldn't see, like internal engine components. Has the engine been run really hot? Did he try and pull a stump out of the river? Was it run WOT endlessly? With a boat well maintained you know the answers are no. With a boat abused, it's all a guess. The owner may have let other people operate it too. Who knows. But if what you got into it covers an engine, you are safe. If you can't be safe, then I'd find a boat that someone really cared about and maintained. IMHO!

If fact, the story is exactly that. The wealthy man buys a boat to share with his grown children. They apparently take the boat out and do all the gelcoat damage. Who knows how they ran it, or if they liked the feel of shifting from WOT forward to WOT backwards. So I made an offer something like this.

I first calculated what a reasonable deal would be on a boat of this type in good condition...Then subtracted the following:

1. Lots of gelcoat expense,

2. High hours compared to other boats in the area

3. stereo is not operable at the moment

4. I factored in the full cost of engine replacement

5. But did not factor in tranny or V-drive replacement, since the engine may be just fine.

6. The trailer needs new bunks and carpet, and one of the fenders is slightly bent.

7. I am an honest guy...so I will take a beating on resale when I tell the next owner about the condition it was in when I got it. I may sugarcoat it, but a discriminating buyer will see between the lines.

8. If the boat were to fail at the beginning of my week at Powell...then I subtract the cost of my tranquilizers and high blood pressure medication.

Of course, all of this is pending a successful test drive that does not show any further issues. I do not know of any other needed items.

It is interesting and not sure if it works against me or for me...but he is reportedly a wealthy man, so that means he can afford to reject my offer...but also means he can afford to accept my offer. My offer is in, we will see what he says.

Thanks for all of your input. It helps to bounce things off of other boat owners.

Edited by TallRedRider

If fact, the story is exactly that. The wealthy man buys a boat to share with his grown children. They apparently take the boat out and do all the gelcoat damage. Who knows how they ran it, or if they liked the feel of shifting from WOT forward to WOT backwards. So I made an offer something like this.

I first calculated what a reasonable deal would be on a boat of this type in good condition...Then subtracted the following:

1. Lots of gelcoat expense,

2. High hours compared to other boats in the area

3. stereo is not operable at the moment

4. I factored in the full cost of engine replacement

5. But did not factor in tranny or V-drive replacement, since the engine may be just fine.

6. The trailer needs new bunks and carpet, and one of the fenders is slightly bent.

7. I am an honest guy...so I will take a beating on resale when I tell the next owner about the condition it was in when I got it. I may sugarcoat it, but a discriminating buyer will see between the lines.

8. If the boat were to fail at the beginning of my week at Powell...then I subtract the cost of my tranquilizers and high blood pressure medication.

Of course, all of this is pending a successful test drive that does not show any further issues. I do not know of any other needed items.

It is interesting and not sure if it works against me or for me...but he is reportedly a wealthy man, so that means he can afford to reject my offer...but also means he can afford to accept my offer. My offer is in, we will see what he says.

Thanks for all of your input. It helps to bounce things off of other boat owners.

Why are you so hesitant to tell the numbers just out of curiosity? You say it helps to bounce things off of other people here and then don't talk about the numbers which people may have first hand experience in dealing with. Like the 8.1 in there. If you're budgeting that, from where are you getting your numbers? Indmar doesn't even make it anymore. you planning on a rebuild? As for high hours, I thought you said it had like 220?!

Sure, but on the one hand you were talking about pricing known problems and then suggested he figure in a tranny rebuild and engine replacement....all based on DIRTY OIL!? :crazy:

Sure, but on the one hand you were talking about pricing known problems and then suggested he figure in a tranny rebuild and engine replacement....all based on DIRTY OIL!? :crazy:

No, I meant based on overall abuse. If the rest of the boat wasn't taken care of, and you can see it, then you should assume the internal stuff is just as bad or worse. Even if the dirty oil was clean oil, that boat may have been driven very hard.

No, I meant based on overall abuse. If the rest of the boat wasn't taken care of, and you can see it, then you should assume the internal stuff is just as bad or worse. Even if the dirty oil was clean oil, that boat may have been driven very hard.

LOL, don't we load these things up with tons (literally) of ballast and then talk about the hole shot? I think it's the nature of a wake boat to be driven very hard.

Well I respectfully disgaree. You're telling red rider than he should be assuming things which he has no evidence of. I don't know what "internal stuff" means anyway. If he has evidence of latent problems, fine, but all he has said so far is that it needs gel work from dock rash, stereo not working, and has dirty oil. I think it's a bit of an over-reaction to suggest he needs to be budgeting for a transmission rebuild and a new engine based on what he has described thus far.

You can spank the snot out of these things for 220 hours and it won't make a difference.

I'd love to hear some numbers.

Why are you so hesitant to tell the numbers just out of curiosity? You say it helps to bounce things off of other people here and then don't talk about the numbers which people may have first hand experience in dealing with. Like the 8.1 in there. If you're budgeting that, from where are you getting your numbers? Indmar doesn't even make it anymore. you planning on a rebuild? As for high hours, I thought you said it had like 220?!

I hesitate to reveal some details because I find it amusing (especially on wakeworld) when someone posts one of those 'is this boat a good deal' threads. Because my answer if I were in the same market and thought it was a good deal would be to buy it out from under them.

Looks like we came to an impass. So here are the details: He is stuck at 48K. The dealer did try to sweeten the deal with one of those FPC warranty packages on the drivetrain for 2 years. But that has a number of special exemptions, most notable being the block itself.

This is the boat I am referring to. Looks beautiful...until you get up close. The center of the boat had 5 inches of water in it when I went to look at it. The center drain plug was stuck and I could not move it.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-MALIBU-WAKESETTER-247-LSV-98360580

The boat has 338 hours on it. The number of hours is not a real problem to anyone that understands boats, but unfortunately most buyers do not. I had people tell me that my 06 MC had a lot of hours when it had 225 hours on it when I was trying to sell it. They were just comparing to many boats on the market that had half that many hours. The current owner is the second owner and bought it with around 110 hours, I am told.

Thanks again for all of your opinions, and I would be happy to hear criticism for not buying, or accolades for a good decision. I think in the end, the cost of tranquilizers and blood pressure meds is what drove me to offer much less than that.

Edited by TallRedRider

I hesitate to reveal some details because I find it amusing (especially on wakeworld) when someone posts one of those 'is this boat a good deal' threads. Because my answer if I were in the same market and thought it was a good deal would be to buy it out from under them.

Looks like we came to an impass. So here are the details: He is stuck at 48K. The dealer did try to sweeten the deal with one of those FPC warranty packages on the drivetrain for 2 years. But that has a number of special exemptions, most notable being the block itself.

This is the boat I am referring to. Looks beautiful...until you get up close. The center of the boat had 5 inches of water in it when I went to look at it. The center drain plug was stuck and I could not move it.

http://www.boattrade...47-LSV-98360580

The boat has 338 hours on it. The number of hours is not a real problem to anyone that understands boats, but unfortunately most buyers do not. I had people tell me that my 06 MC had a lot of hours when it had 225 hours on it when I was trying to sell it. They were just comparing to many boats on the market that had half that many hours. The current owner is the second owner and bought it with around 110 hours, I am told.

Thanks again for all of your opinions, and I would be happy to hear criticism for not buying, or accolades for a good decision. I think in the end, the cost of tranquilizers and blood pressure meds is what drove me to offer much less than that.

Wasn't there an 06 in Provo in the fall that went for $40k? How much did you offer?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-MALIBU-WAKESETTER-247-LSV-98360580

Mechanically, it wouldn't scare me. The price does scare me given the gel work that would need to be done. If the boat is on consignment and you still want it, agree on a number with owner but make him pay for repairs. That way your expenses are capped.

Fair enough guys. I was just offering my opinion, if you look at a beat up boat be ready to replace everything was my point.

Always good to be careful but I just don't see why budgeting replacement of "everything" is needed. IMO, you just need to budget what is broken. Dark oil doesnt suggest to me that engine or tranny is broken and therefore doesn't belong in the budget to fix.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Having done gelcoat on 2 boats now - you easily have 3-5K in work there (assuming the other side looks as bad) from a top shop. IF the corners are like that, there has to be more.

That just does not sound like a good deal. I am not sure what used 247's bring these days...but there is a lot of damage there and not much discount.

On the oil - that has to be blow by making it so dark.

Drove the boat today. Salesman told me to go test drive it and see if it would inspire me. I got a free pull out of it, so it was good to wakeboard for just the second time this year.

Pretty well as expected. The engine seemed to work well. Shifted fine. Trailer has one bunk with a 1 inch splinter missing and some bare wood. The trailer seemed to really 'clunk' when starting up, so I think something is going on there.

A bunch of water came out when I removed the plug, the water was oily. Bilge smelled like gas. Center ballast fill pump did not work. All the other ballast worked fine. Bilge pump did not seem to work. Exhaust did not seem to smell bad, I really like the turned down exhaust tips, they seemed to quiet things down.

The dealer (who I trust plenty) did a compression test and it was solid on all 8 cylinders with very little variation.

The front to back rattle of the illusion was quite a bit, more than my friend's. I don't think it moves any more, but it is noisier so it seems worse.

While I was whining and moaning about the various items...the poor salesman could only shake his head and say 'I know, I know'.

Would only buy that boat for cheap. Still looking...there seems to be a much wider selection of 23LSV's out there, but the wife commented on how she loved the interior space and layout of the 247.

I am depressed.

Edited by TallRedRider

not very many 247's made compared to the 23. still more 21's.

don't let it get you down. think of how bad you would feel to drop your hard earned money on something to find out you got took or it is just not what you want. take your time and find the one that is just right for you.

Keep looking for something else and be patient on this one. As the season begins and time keeps ticking away, I suspect the price will become more flexible.

not very many 247's made compared to the 23. still more 21's.

don't let it get you down. think of how bad you would feel to drop your hard earned money on something to find out you got took or it is just not what you want. take your time and find the one that is just right for you.

:plus1:

Drove the boat today. Salesman told me to go test drive it and see if it would inspire me. I got a free pull out of it, so it was good to wakeboard for just the second time this year.

Pretty well as expected. The engine seemed to work well. Shifted fine. Trailer has one bunk with a 1 inch splinter missing and some bare wood. The trailer seemed to really 'clunk' when starting up, so I think something is going on there.

A bunch of water came out when I removed the plug, the water was oily. Bilge smelled like gas. Center ballast fill pump did not work. All the other ballast worked fine. Bilge pump did not seem to work. Exhaust did not seem to smell bad, I really like the turned down exhaust tips, they seemed to quiet things down.

The dealer (who I trust plenty) did a compression test and it was solid on all 8 cylinders with very little variation.

The front to back rattle of the illusion was quite a bit, more than my friend's. I don't think it moves any more, but it is noisier so it seems worse.

While I was whining and moaning about the various items...the poor salesman could only shake his head and say 'I know, I know'.

Would only buy that boat for cheap. Still looking...there seems to be a much wider selection of 23LSV's out there, but the wife commented on how she loved the interior space and layout of the 247.

I am depressed.

I think you are way over thinking some of those gripes...the clunk in trailer could be totally normal from brake action in tongue

Oily water from bilge not necessarily suggestive ot any problem, may just be from a messy oil change in the past. All bilges have gaseyness smell to them. A trailer bunk costs ten bucks in wood and carpet. A bilge pup costs fifty bucks if it was even broken it wont get all water out and in fact might not be able to get anything until water high enough. A bad ballast fill pump is cheap too.

What is your inboard ownership history again?

I think you are way over thinking some of those gripes...the clunk in trailer could be totally normal from brake action in tongue

Oily water from bilge not necessarily suggestive ot any problem, may just be from a messy oil change in the past. All bilges have gaseyness smell to them. A trailer bunk costs ten bucks in wood and carpet. A bilge pup costs fifty bucks if it was even broken it wont get all water out and in fact might not be able to get anything until water high enough. A bad ballast fill pump is cheap too.

All this is true, and if these were all that was wrong I would say get the boat but the first pic showed a lot of damage, looks like a fiberglass repair instead of a gel repair. Still could be a good deal if the price were right. I still say test the oil, give the boat a good hard look and try to get some ideas of the costs of repair, add in some fudge factor and see if it adds up.

But I do agree 85 Barefoot the listed items are all normal.

The amount of water was a lot. Something is leaking. Unless the sales guy said he drained the water that was in the boat last weekend and was caught not telling the truth, so he just shrugged his shoulders again and said that 'I know, I know'.

The gas odor was far more than any inboard I have been in. That is a safety issue. My MC had some gas odor constantly, I had it checked out and nothing could ever be found. My Tiges had zero gas odor, and my friends' Malibus, Supremes, Tiges, Epic and Nautiques have not had a smell that strong.

The oil could just be from a rogue oil change, but again, I got oil all over with my MC and never saw this much oil in the water.

The bilge pump did not turn on, usually you can hear it. Again, both the bilge and ballast pumps are relatively small items, but it is indicative of the overall state of disrepair that the boat suffers from.

The clunk from the trailer when I would take off was worse than any other boat I have driven. I think the brakes had stuck or something.

The light on top of the tower is broken off.

I did not notice it the first time, but there is a 6 inch tear in the bimini that has been repaired. Surprising to find something that was broke that actually got fixed.

The real question is whether I will continue to have this many problems once I get it all fixed. My water time is valuable, that I do not want to spend any time with the boat in the shop unneccessarily. So I am sort of 'risk averse' if it were put in financial terms.

The amount of water was a lot. Something is leaking. Unless the sales guy said he drained the water that was in the boat last weekend and was caught not telling the truth, so he just shrugged his shoulders again and said that 'I know, I know'.

The gas odor was far more than any inboard I have been in. That is a safety issue. My MC had some gas odor constantly, I had it checked out and nothing could ever be found. My Tiges had zero gas odor, and my friends' Malibus, Supremes, Tiges, Epic and Nautiques have not had a smell that strong.

The oil could just be from a rogue oil change, but again, I got oil all over with my MC and never saw this much oil in the water.

The bilge pump did not turn on, usually you can hear it. Again, both the bilge and ballast pumps are relatively small items, but it is indicative of the overall state of disrepair that the boat suffers from.

The clunk from the trailer when I would take off was worse than any other boat I have driven. I think the brakes had stuck or something.

The light on top of the tower is broken off.

I did not notice it the first time, but there is a 6 inch tear in the bimini that has been repaired. Surprising to find something that was broke that actually got fixed.

The real question is whether I will continue to have this many problems once I get it all fixed. My water time is valuable, that I do not want to spend any time with the boat in the shop unneccessarily. So I am sort of 'risk averse' if it were put in financial terms.

Well whats a lot? someone on here not long agao said that an inch was a lot. An inch wno't even trip the bilge. So, by a lot I hope you meant like 3-5 inches at least.

As for gas, I agree, no smell is a good smell. If you're seeing an oil slick, however, could be gas. could just be a loose connection. In fact given the amount of slick you saw, tend to think this might be the case.

Can speak from experience on my 247 trailer, the clunk is much different than any other boat I've pulled.

tower light= cheap

I'm not saying its the boat for you, but some of these "issues" may have easy fixes. Good luck.

Stand TALLRedRider, you did all that could be done to make it work, but this one is just not in your cards. Its just not to be. Thanks for sharing your deal, I learned a bunch and it was fascinating. Keep looking.

Edited by Bozboat