Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Recommendations

I am looking at replacing the batteries and was wondering what are the pros and cons of the Interstate Optima battery. Anyone have any experience with these? Is it worth the extra money beyond the Interstate SRM 29?

I am looking at replacing the batteries and was wondering what are the pros and cons of the Interstate Optima battery. Anyone have any experience with these? Is it worth the extra money beyond the Interstate SRM 29?

Pro's - Small, maintenance free, doesn't need a battery box, and can mount them just about any way besides upside down.

Con's - Way overpriced for the reserve capacity you get, you can get way more for your money elsewhere.

Very picky as far as the way it needs to be charged and maintained for longevity.

Think of it this way, one SRM-29 has the capacity of 2.5 smaller optima blue tops. To me it's a no brainer the SRM-29 wins 9 out of 10 situations. I had 5 optimas in my last VLX. I'd never due optimas again in any of my boats but that's just me.

Edited by 06vlx

I have had only one. I did not see extra life.

The main advantage for me is that the fiberglass mat type battery such as an Optima will not leak acid onto your tray.

I put one in my 1999 Carrera because of where the battery is located on those cars. Porsches are battery eaters if left parked for extended periods of time. No problem because everybody knows you drive your sportscar in January when there is a foot of snow, right.

Having said that I have a recurring problem with the second battery in my Duramax. It keeps trying to leak and corrode. I have replaced both batteries but the new second battery continues to leak. I don't know why. It is a maintenance issue for me.

I am contemplating an Optima to replace that perfectly good second battery. I have read that you should not mix the Optima and a standard battery in a dual battery situation and I don't want to buy two new Optimas. So I keep removing that battery, do the baking soda drill, repaint the tray with Derusto and so forth.

Way not worth it....I had two in my old boat. One lasted maybe 2yrs and the other 2 1/2. You can replace a lot of standard marine batteries at $50-$60 and if taken care of should last at least 5 yrs.

Had a buddy who sold them at his marina and dropped them after 4 yrs.

Just my opinion and experience. :vomit: Optima

I have 2 Blue top Optimas and this will be the 5th year for them and over 100 hours per year on boat. They have treated me well! Hope they make it through their 5th year.DSC02132.jpg

Edited by dalt1

I have a recurring problem with the second battery in my Duramax. It keeps trying to leak and corrode. I have replaced both batteries but the new second battery continues to leak. I don't know why.

If an unusual amount of acid is coming out the vents, then it sounds like the batt. is being over-charged.

Way not worth it... One lasted maybe 2yrs

Exact same thing here. I don't know why most dudes on here swear by Optimas.

I'll take an Interstate wet battery any day. That's what's in all 3 of my cars and my boat.

I had a similar corrosion problem in my 04 Duramax, I didn't think much about it. Just cleaned the terminals every few months. Then the passenger side battery exploded one morning when I tried to start it. Blew the battery to pieces, covered everything under the hood in acid. Over the next six months, the corrosion got to the point that it would stain my driveway. I washed and washed and washed it, poured pounds of baking soda on it, took it all apart and power washed it and painted it. Most of the the rubber parts underneath the hood had to be replaced. Nothing seemed to clean it up so I finally had to get rid of it. (lame apology inserted for this story, on this thread)

If an unusual amount of acid is coming out the vents, then it sounds like the batt. is being over-charged.

Exact same thing here. I don't know why most dudes on here swear by Optimas.

I'll take an Interstate wet battery any day. That's what's in all 3 of my cars and my boat.

Pete

I can't complain about my Optimas. After 4 years and 400+ hours I say that is pretty good service life to me. I expect to get a fifth year without any problems. I push 3 amps and charge it with a simple $9 float charger when not in use.DSC02113.jpg

Another plus for me on the Optimas was the physical size allowing placement under the port side seat along it's right wall. Leaves the whole long area along the port hull under seat for long storage like skies. Also leaves the whole port side storage in front of seat open also. Can't do that with other full size batteries.

Edited by dalt1