Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Response seat skins

Shredster

Ok, so realize that there was a topic about where to find Response seat skins back in 2007. However, I am not able to reach this person by the name of Chee. According to March of 2011 does anyone know how I can reach someone or somewhere that could help me to replace some skins in my 1996 Response?

Well Malibu only keeps the patterns for 7 years so your choices are continue to attempt contact with Chee or use a local upholstery shop. There are a few people on the site that are attempting to get hold of Chee, I don't know that anyone has had any luck.

Ok, so realize that there was a topic about where to find Response seat skins back in 2007. However, I am not able to reach this person by the name of Chee. According to March of 2011 does anyone know how I can reach someone or somewhere that could help me to replace some skins in my 1996 Response?

If I get any word back I will let you know. Chee must have plenty of work. It's been 2 months now after attempting to get a bid.

Maybe the guy doesn't wanna make seat skins anymore? Anyone ever think of that? Several people have tried to contact him, and he does not respond. Maybe that's a hint?

Maybe Malibu should put something into place for people who have boats that are older than (God forbid) 7 yrs.

What if the 8 yr. old car you're driving had absolutely no chance of getting any OEM parts, like body parts?

Maybe Malibu should put something into place for people who have boats that are older than (God forbid) 7 yrs.

What if the 8 yr. old car you're driving had absolutely no chance of getting any OEM parts, like body parts?

Sounds like a business opportunity Pete, how are you with a sewing machine?

I agree totally! I was actually thinking of tackling making some for myself. Been doing some research and talking with a few people. You will need a walking foot machine and a few other essential tools, and it can be done. I mean look at this way, If you had to go to work and make donuts all day, the last thing you woulld wanna do is come home and make some old a** donuts you haven't made for years. I can totally relate to the guy if this is the situation. I am pretty confident I could get it done and have it look just as good as the factory, and if it doesn't I will keep trying. That's just the kinda guy I am. I also have a local vinyl supply house that has all the necessary stuff in stock in town. Hmmm..... I think I am on to something.......copycatcovers. :unsure:

Sounds like a business opportunity Pete, how are you with a sewing machine?

I don't sew.

I take my sewing needs to a cobbler because when I need to sew something, it's gonna be heavy duty.

What's funny is I just now happen to read Nate Dog's post about him being mad that skins aren't available and Chee and this other guy are no where to be found even though (apparantely) Malibu gives out their names and numbers.

I don't sew.

I take my sewing needs to a cobbler because when I need to sew something, it's gonna be heavy duty.

What's funny is I just now happen to read Nate Dog's post about him being mad that skins aren't available and Chee and this other guy are no where to be found even though (apparantely) Malibu gives out their names and numbers.

Not really mad, just confused and have sympathy for those trying to reach someone that malibu is pushing them off onto, that's got to be frustrating. Anybody with a 2004 and is planning to keep it better get their skin order in this season or be SOL :crazy:

I don't know why everyone is having so much trouble getting a hold of Chee. He did two seat skins for me earlier this month and I had no problems. He was very nice and did an excellent job on the skins.

Here is the contact info I have for him.

Phone - (209) 564-6202

Email - [email protected]

If he's not returning call's, try the email.

martinarcher

Chee hooked me up with a new dogbox skin late last fall. Email is certainly the way to fly. Three email with a couple attachments and off the old skin went. The replacement is perfect.

Chee hooked me up with a new dogbox skin late last fall. Email is certainly the way to fly. Three email with a couple attachments and off the old skin went. The replacement is perfect.

Same here. A couple emails with hull number and photo's, followed by color conformation. Next thing I know, UPS was dropping them at my front door.

Definitely no stress.

Not really mad, just confused and have sympathy for those trying to reach someone that malibu is pushing them off onto, that's got to be frustrating. Anybody with a 2004 and is planning to keep it better get their skin order in this season or be SOL :crazy:

You mean 2005. The 04' skins are out the door. I know because I tried to get some. All gone! The real formula is current year minus 6. The seven years must - in this case mean - 04,05,06,07,08,09,10 are the years they are available for the 04 year.

Chris Phillips does not return calls. I tried to reach Tim at Bu tech support to find out if 05 skins would be possible to get, and no call back either.

I gave up.

Finally got in contact with Chee, but he said he doesn't have the patters for 1990 & 1991....Back to square one

Chee didnt have the patterns for my boat either. I very carefully took my old skins off and shipped them out to him. He used them to create patterns. It came out perfect. :rockon:

EDIT: just noticed you have a Euro Skier, I am 99% sure the interior is the same as mine. He should be able to hook you up. Here are some pics of mine, does it look the same?

Edited by Levi900RR

Chee didnt have the patterns for my boat either. I very carefully took my old skins off and shipped them out to him. He used them to create patterns. It came out perfect. :rockon:

EDIT: just noticed you have a Euro Skier, I am 99% sure the interior is the same as mine. He should be able to hook you up. Here are some pics of mine, does it look the same?

Love that Skier Levi.

I had mine done locally. Do some checking with upholstery shops locally, it is actually a very simple job, especially if you do the removal and install.

Edit:: I had mine all redone locally, including labor for $1255 two years ago.

Edited by Michigan boarder

Love that Skier Levi.

I had mine done locally. Do some checking with upholstery shops locally, it is actually a very simple job, especially if you do the removal and install.

Edit:: I had mine all redone locally, including labor for $1255 two years ago.

WOW, my quote locally was 3K, I got all the skins for $700 and paid $1000 to have them installed.

WOW, my quote locally was 3K, I got all the skins for $700 and paid $1000 to have them installed.

Yeah, it was a steal of a deal in the winter by a small local shop. 1 lady, took her 4 weeks. Her husband did removal & install when he wasn't working his 2nd shift job. Real nice people. It took me a while to find her. She also made a bow cover with the same red vinyl for $55, which I use on chilly days (like my whole spring break). And all the material is thick and tough. My next cheapest quote was for $2,500, and they wouldn't guarantee anything, I think they were going to ratchet that number up. Other quotes were around $3,500.

I sold my last snowmobile :cry: for $1,250 (had to give it away) when I bought the boat, knowing what needed to be done. Painful to think I turned that wicked machine into vinyl!

Yeah, it was a steal of a deal in the winter by a small local shop. 1 lady, took her 4 weeks. Her husband did removal & install when he wasn't working his 2nd shift job. Real nice people. It took me a while to find her. She also made a bow cover with the same red vinyl for $55, which I use on chilly days (like my whole spring break). And all the material is thick and tough. My next cheapest quote was for $2,500, and they wouldn't guarantee anything, I think they were going to ratchet that number up. Other quotes were around $3,500.

I sold my last snowmobile :cry: for $1,250 (had to give it away) when I bought the boat, knowing what needed to be done. Painful to think I turned that wicked machine into vinyl!

You made the right decision :thumbup: