Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rust on Trailer

I have rust starting to develop around the diamond plating that is installed on top of the fenders of my Extreme trailer. Anyone else ever deal with this? What was your solution?

I have rust starting to develop around the diamond plating that is installed on top of the fenders of my Extreme trailer. Anyone else ever deal with this? What was your solution?

Take those glitzy things off, a true biker will tell you "chrome don't get you home" After doing that clean all the rust off and flaking paint.

Go git yerself sum a dat brush on bedliner. mask off where you don't want the bedliner and brush away. Now you have a black, clean, attractive, slip resistant area on which to step. Looks great works better!!!

Yea, I had 2 of the diamond plate covers come off my Extreme trailer on the ramp. Luckily I noticed them missing & went back & found them in the water. I used a DA to sand the rust & old adhesive off, repainted the trailer & then used more Liquid Nails to reinstall them.

I used Liquid Nails to install the fender diamond plate several years ago too. Never noticed a problem there.

Ronnie, are you saying it's the use of diamond plate that causes it? Is there any difference in using a stick on non-skid pad of some kind?

It's the water that gets trapped under the aluminum diamond plate that causes the steel fenders to rust. An adhesive type non-skid pad would not allow the moisture to be trapped like that and would not cause the same rusting issues. If you like the look of the alum diamond plate then after removing them, cleaning off the rust, and repainting the fenders, reinstall the diamond paint with a bead of silicone around the edge to keep water from getting underneath.

It's the water that gets trapped under the aluminum diamond plate that causes the steel fenders to rust. An adhesive type non-skid pad would not allow the moisture to be trapped like that and would not cause the same rusting issues. If you like the look of the alum diamond plate then after removing them, cleaning off the rust, and repainting the fenders, reinstall the diamond paint with a bead of silicone around the edge to keep water from getting underneath.

:plus1:

What he said.

Good call, guys. I kinda wondered about that at the time. Extreme didn't used much adhesive when they installed it to begin with. And I used a ton, some of which was applied around the edge. Time till tell if I'm doin it all again or not.