Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulleys Frozen??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harrison256

• NorCaliBu

• 99response

• Steve B.

I don't suppose every one of your 5,000 posts was you spewing worthless crap like this one eh? Go talk somewhere where you have something useful to say. Replace motor? How about replace boat. That can be your solution to everything and you can be the best "forum mechanic" or whatever else it is you think you are, ever.

while i hate to reply to a 22 year old troll, i agreed with Pete's initial assessment based on the limited info given. 4 consecutive days below freezing, not winterized, yet stored for 360 days. Houston or not that is a bad idea.

It sounded like a classic case of someone not knowing how to treat a boat. Just an FYI, when storing a boat for an extended period of time, winterize it, regardless of the climate.

That you did not drain the block, fog the engine, stabilize the fuel or change the oil (ie: winterize) before storing the boat for a full year is a bad idea and speaks volumes to your mechanical inclinations.

I doubt anyone reading this forum would ever consider purchasing your boat, based on your description of how you treat a boat that is used in or is around salt water.

I recommend we lock this one down before we give this troll more time to spew.

Edited by Cervelo

What has the OP done suggesting that he is 22 or a troll? He had a legitimate issue, was consistent in describing the issues, and was looking for help. Some gave it, some didn't, and he got upset in ONE post. What's the big deal? I'm interested in hearing what happens, if anything, to the engine.

What has the OP done suggesting that he is 22 or a troll? He had a legitimate issue, was consistent in describing the issues, and was looking for help. Some gave it, some didn't, and he got upset in ONE post. What's the big deal? I'm interested in hearing what happens, if anything, to the engine.

:plus1: The problem with e-mails, posts, text and tweets is the interpretation of the tone of which may or may not be as intended. I can see this thread from several angles but the one that really counts is everyone shares a common interest in helping. There is a wealth of experience, knowledge and good will on TMC. To the OP, I hope everything is fine with your block, If you had my luck, I'd be somewhat concerned.

If a serpentine belt, the tensioner is a pulley with a bearing similar to the altenator, I would make sure it is okay, and salt free (salt based on your comments) as that one could sieze like the alternator pulley did. If you smoked the belt, I would certainly carry a spare or change it and carry the old one as a spare.

Edited by Woodski

Mind if I ask where you are skiing Harrison? I live in Ohio, but spent MANY summers skiing on the San Bernard, and some of the Houston lakes. Glad the boat is starting to behave.

Steve B.

I ski mostly on the freshwater lakes around Houston but I take it to some various brackish areas too. So Conroe, Lake Houston, Travis, and then brackish branches off of Clear Lake

Yeah as it turns out the alternator was locked up and the water circulation pump was just the tiniest bit stuck but with the belt on it it made it seem worse. Anyways cut the belt (since it was toast) and freed up the water circ pretty quick, sent the alternator out to a rebuild shop (also seemed pretty toast) and got that done. So all worked out pretty well so far. I still haven't been able to verify if the block is cracked. Visually it looks fine but can't run the engine long enough to check the oil untill my new belt comes in. Ill be sure to let ya'll know though.

As for the freeze, the Weather.com was pretty accurate lol. It never got too cold and was in the sun all day after the freezing night. Also had some blankets piled on it too (quite a few). I had been moving the boat between storage facilities and was out of town with the boat at my house for 1 week in which it happened to freeze almost every night after a month of 60 degree weather practically. Unlucky.

while i hate to reply to a 22 year old troll, i agreed with Pete's initial assessment based on the limited info given. 4 consecutive days below freezing, not winterized, yet stored for 360 days. Houston or not that is a bad idea.

It sounded like a classic case of someone not knowing how to treat a boat. Just an FYI, when storing a boat for an extended period of time, winterize it, regardless of the climate.

That you did not drain the block, fog the engine, stabilize the fuel or change the oil (ie: winterize) before storing the boat for a full year is a bad idea and speaks volumes to your mechanical inclinations.

I doubt anyone reading this forum would ever consider purchasing your boat, based on your description of how you treat a boat that is used in or is around salt water.

I recommend we lock this one down before we give this troll more time to spew.

Why would I winterize a boat thats kept indoors climate controlled? And it wasn't stored for a year more like 5 months. And who ever said I didn't put Stabil in the fuel? Your assesment of my mechanical capabilities is based completely on assumptions you made yourself. Hardly a troll just think its ridiculous to post anywhere in a mechanical forum that you should just shut up and take it to a dealer. I'm obviously here because I would rather not go that route and need assistance. If you dont feel like providing something useful then just don't respond so the OP doesn't have to read through condescending crap to get to the legitimate people with legitimate concerns and REAL answers. That is all.

Oh and don't worry. Its not for sale. So that also seems like a non issue.

Edited by Harrison256

Choosing to winterize is your choice, it is also called extended layup procedure for those who live in milder climates or store their boats inside. For the sake of your boat, unless you have closed cooling flush your motor after running in brackish water. Rust scale will clog your cooling passages which can cause engine failure. Exhaust manifold that have corroded through may look fine to the eye but can cause catastrophic engine damage( first hand knowledge). I hope your engine is fine.