Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulleys Frozen??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harrison256

• NorCaliBu

• 99response

• Steve B.

I would suggest using a copious amount of WD40 or similar on all the rusted parts, including giving a shot to the bearings on all the frozen ancillary components. There is a tensioner to allow removal of the belt, pretty obvious how it allows belt removal when you look at it. Based on being abandoned and not winterized over the winter months assuming you want to try to salvage it yourself I would at least do the following in addition to the recommendations already posted: drain and change the oil and change the filter, drain out any fuel in the tank, do a compression and leak down test on the engine, follow through on the belt issue and relplace/repair the non functioning parts, change transmission fluid.

Harrison,

You're obviously not mechanically inclined. You didn't winterize your boat, you let it sit for 4 days in below freezing temps. and then you come on and ask us why the pulleys are frozen.

You haven't done much to diagnose them but, you come on here looking for an instant answer. Well, sorry you didn't like it but, my answer was your instant answer. Yes, much more than likely YOU toasted YOUR motor. Why don't you save ALL OF US the trouble of walking you through what you should do about it and take it to a professional and have it DIAGNOSED and fixed correctly?

Remind me never to get on Pete's bad side :innocent:

Harrison,

You're obviously not mechanically inclined. You didn't winterize your boat, you let it sit for 4 days in below freezing temps. and then you come on and ask us why the pulleys are frozen.

You haven't done much to diagnose them but, you come on here looking for an instant answer. Well, sorry you didn't like it but, my answer was your instant answer. Yes, much more than likely YOU toasted YOUR motor. Why don't you save ALL OF US the trouble of walking you through what you should do about it and take it to a professional and have it DIAGNOSED and fixed correctly?

Dang Pete, did you wake up on the wrong side of the lawn this morning? :)

the upside of leaving the boat full of salt water is that it probably wouldn't freeze at 28 would it?

Great point! If the block was full of salt water you should be safe down to 17 degrees. Salt water might also explain the frozen waterpump. If it is corroded from the salt it would lock up like a garbage disposal that has not been used in several months.

See, all this time we have been giving him the 3rd degree for not taking care of his BU. In reality he kept it full of salt water to keep it from freezing. Yeah, that's it, great idea! :dontknow:

If you're luck enough to get out of this without buying a new engine I definitely think a nice punch to the head is a good idea. Call Pete, sounds like he'd do it for free.

Note to self: Brine does not make a good winterizing solution.

Bummer situation. Hopefully it's just the simple stuff.

Edited by Michigan boarder

When say cold down to 28, was it 28 all day long? If it only got down to 28 for a couple hours at night and up into the 40s during the day I highly doubt you cracked anything. No offence you my southern brethren, but 28 is not cold. It will hardly put frost on the ground....

But if it never got out of the mid 20 for four days... see Peet's comment :crazy:

Hate to tell you but very very few insurance companies cover freeze damage.

If it was that cold for that long, unless the boat sat in the blazing sun all day I'd say you're probably looking at a cracked block.

:plus1: You are most likely looking at a very expensive oops. You could get lucky though, did you have salt water in the block?

Weather.com - it is a wonderful resource.

Looking back on the month of Feb, the temp in Houston never stayed below freezing for more than a 24 hour period. Yes at night there was freezing but it was typically followed up by a 50+ degree day. The lowest "high" was around 35 during the day.

Based on this info - I find it pretty hard to default to a frozen block scenario. Now the rust may be an issue.

Have you tried pulling the plugs and turning the engine over?

In retrospect of reading this thread - it is safe to say that you are not the most seasoned mechanic on the forum which is ok (can't be good everything unless you Pistol Pete ;) I would take it to a mechanic and pay the $100 to have it diagnosed.

Probably got what you asked for due to neglect. You got to show some love to the Bu before putting her down for a long nap. My 06 gets full winterization and has about 0% chance to freeze. Stays in garage that never gets below freezing. But there is always a chance a door may be left open over night on accident on 1 of those near 0 degree nights. I am not willing to take that chance and be in your situation in the spring. Good luck with your repairs, hope it's only the minor seized pulleys!

Harrison,

When the news is bad, its usually better to be blunt. Sugar coating this is a waste of time. I will be the first to admit that I have made mistakes that have cost me boat loads of money to correct, but in this case, not winterizing is not being respectful to your boat and Pete's advice and comments are dead on. The thought of an engine block freezing makes me cringe for a number of reasons.

Harrison,

Gee Pete, In the time it took you to type out this response, you could have gotten a plane ticket online. Then fly down to Houston to help this fledgling out! :lol: Or just take your pills.

When the news is bad, its usually better to be blunt. Sugar coating this is a waste of time. I will be the first to admit that I have made mistakes that have cost me boat loads of money to correct, but in this case, not winterizing is not being respectful to your boat and Pete's advice and comments are dead on. The thought of an engine block freezing makes me cringe for a number of reasons.

Yeah usually around 5000 or 6000 reasons to cringe!

Nobody else sees that there could have been circumstances that caused this? Hey sometimes life gets in the way and sometimes it REALLY gets in the way. Maybe he just dropped the ball, or maybe he just spared us the details. Deaths, divorces, work, etc. etc.

Geez, go easy on the guy and see if we can help him.

Weather.com - it is a wonderful resource.

Looking back on the month of Feb, the temp in Houston never stayed below freezing for more than a 24 hour period. Yes at night there was freezing but it was typically followed up by a 50+ degree day. The lowest "high" was around 35 during the day.

Based on this info - I find it pretty hard to default to a frozen block scenario. Now the rust may be an issue.

Have you tried pulling the plugs and turning the engine over?

In retrospect of reading this thread - it is safe to say that you are not the most seasoned mechanic on the forum which is ok (can't be good everything unless you Pistol Pete ;) I would take it to a mechanic and pay the $100 to have it diagnosed.

Based on this, I'm going to be the ever optimist and say the block is okay. Who's with me? lol,

Steve B.

Based on this, I'm going to be the ever optimist and say the block is okay. Who's with me? lol,

Steve B.

IMO no way the block froze, it's full of salt water. Even at freshwater I don't think would have frozen, but no way saltwater froze and cracked the block. Besides these problems don't sound related to a cracked block do they?

And I find it odd that "all" the accessories locked up at once, I can see the waterpumps but the alternator? Something isn't adding up.

Actually, the OP say he has "been around salt". Maybe it isn't ran in salt water at all, but is stored in proximity to the coast.

I think it's unlikely, given that weather info, that it froze hard enough to crack anything. I've had straight water in my leaky cars in college and they didn't freeze even the radiator at 25 degrees.

Harrison,

I don't suppose every one of your 5,000 posts was you spewing worthless crap like this one eh? Go talk somewhere where you have something useful to say. Replace motor? How about replace boat. That can be your solution to everything and you can be the best "forum mechanic" or whatever else it is you think you are, ever.

Harrison,

Here is what I would do.

I would remove the belt and using a pair of large channelocks, I would gently move the pullys back and forth. Don't force them, just rock them back and forth trying to gain a little extra movement each time. If you can get them to free up, reinstall the belt. If this doesn't work, replace the water pump and alternator (going to have to anyway) and then do this next:

Install whatever device you are using to run the boat in the driveway and run the boat. LOOK everywhere on the block for leaks, frequently pull the dipstick checking for the "milkshake" colored oil. If anything goes wrong shut the boat off right away and make your plans.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I got it working today actually. (No thanks to Pistol Pete). I installed a new alternator and now seems to run fine.

As for all the flamers on why I didn't winterize it, It was stored indoors for 360 days of the year, I pulled it out to switch facilities and left town for 4 days and it got to below freezing.

Careful young one

You made the mistake learn from it

He was not attacking you

Unwinterized boat plus long freeze usually results in cracked block

Or new motor

You might also want to check the ballast pumps .

I don't suppose every one of your 5,000 posts was you spewing worthless crap like this one eh? Go talk somewhere where you have something useful to say. Replace motor? How about replace boat. That can be your solution to everything and you can be the best "forum mechanic" or whatever else it is you think you are, ever.

Ever heard the phrase "check yourself before you wreck yourself"? :unsure:

:lol:

Mind if I ask where you are skiing Harrison? I live in Ohio, but spent MANY summers skiing on the San Bernard, and some of the Houston lakes. Glad the boat is starting to behave.

Steve B.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I got it working today actually. (No thanks to Pistol Pete). I installed a new alternator and now seems to run fine.

As for all the flamers on why I didn't winterize it, It was stored indoors for 360 days of the year, I pulled it out to switch facilities and left town for 4 days and it got to below freezing.

Right on Harrison - Who cares if someone has made 5,000 posts? Doesn't mean they are entitled to be a prick. Some bit of advice you were given as well compared to what the actual problem was. It sounds like you had a bearing go in the alternator, not that uncommon and the smoking may have been from the belt turning and burning on the alternator pulley.

I guess the WA and northern CA guys don't understand that Houston is a tropical climate and did not stay below freezing for more than 18 hours all winter.

Glad you got your problem solved.

Edited by Murphy8166
I guess the WA and northern CA guys don't understand that Houston is a tropical climate and did not stay below freezing for more than 18 hours all winter.

The OP never stated that he's in Houston, TX. All he said was:

Alright so on my 2006 Monsoon 350, I let it sit all winter and during that time two things happened. First it froze while it was outside on a trailer to 28 degrees for about 4 days and it WAS NOT winterized, it seemed at first that it still ran ok because it immediately turned over. The second thing was that since my boat is around salt its prone to rusting and apparently either as a result of the freeze or as a result of the rust, some of the pulleys are frozen and the belt just spins around them. The only pulley that works is the one from the shaft. All the others (alternator, water pump?) are locked into position. Whats the best way to go about fixing this?

Us Nor Cal guys just figured he knew what he was talking about when he said that all of the pulley's were "locked into position". It now sounds as though only the alternator was problematic. That was not his original claim. Also, he stated that the boat was outside for 4 days at 28° unwinterized and even stated that "it froze". Gee, I wonder why he got a misdiagnosis? :crazy: Maybe next time, he could figure out what the situation actually is BEFORE asking how to fix it. :Doh:

Edited by NorCaliBu