Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's your opinion

drc007

I have a 97 sunsetter and I plan on just using it for wakeboarding .. I will run it with ballast most of the time . Ive been reading about different props and I was wondering what y'all recommend ? The stock 3 blade prop is now On the boat but it looks like it has a few rough spots so I will be looking for a new prop here shortly .

I have a 97 sunsetter and I plan on just using it for wakeboarding .. I will run it with ballast most of the time . Ive been reading about different props and I was wondering what y'all recommend ? The stock 3 blade prop is now On the boat but it looks like it has a few rough spots so I will be looking for a new prop here shortly .

The ACME 1235 is a great prop for wakeboarding/surfing, but you will loose some top end speed. The 1235 will give you excellent holeshot and low end torque, I had this prop on my Supra and it worked perfect, and will also be going on my VLX.

Would recommend Nettle Props, they are very knowledgeable and have good prices.

http://www.nettleprops.com/

Edited by Fman

The ACME 1235 is a great prop for wakeboarding/surfing, but you will loose some top end speed. The 1235 will give you excellent holeshot and low end torque, I had this prop on my Supra and it worked perfect, and will also be going on my VLX.

Would recommend Nettle Props, they are very knowledgeable and have good prices.

http://www.nettleprops.com/

A 1235 is not going to do so well on a DD boat.

To the OP I would call Acme or OJ and discuss what you're looking for and they should be able to recommend the right prop for you.

-Chris

How much ballast are you typically running (water, lead and people)? Are you at all concerned with top end? Almost anything will be better than the stock stainless steel CVP prop you have on the boat right now.

Let me know the answers to those questions and I'll recommend the best option from both ACME and OJ.

P.S. Chris is correct, you DEFINITELY do not want the 1235, that prop is way too aggressive for a direct drive, and without a gear reduction transmission you would never be able to spin it at enough RPMs.

Edited by skicrave

Why do you want a new prop? You only said it has a “few rough spots”. Is it functional and could the rough spots be filed down? I have done that to props before with no issues. If your hole shot is lagging then yes, a 4-blade prop would help. But if you come out of the water easy enough is there really a need to change?

Well this will be my first time using the boat with the ballast and I will be cramming the boat down with close to 2000lbs of ballast ... I only use the boat for wakeboarding never been much of a surfer ..I'm not concerned about going super fast I or even skiing at all.. I've just heard that If you don't have the right prop the boat will probly drink alot more gas and that the strain could hurt the motor ..

I'd suggest getting the numbers off the prop and specifying what you will be doing, crew size, ballast placement, etc. Lots of good prop guys on this site that will provide specific recommendations based on detailed info.

• 2 weeks later...

If the stock prop is still on the boat it's a stainless steel CVP 13 x 13 3 blade. Given that you live in Texas, you don't need much altitude compensation, so an ACME 525 (13" x 12" Nibral) would probably give you more than enough holeshot without completely destroying your top end. If you want even more acceleration you could go down to the 653, but that's going to drop at least 5MPH from your top end.

A 1235 is not going to do so well on a DD boat.

To the OP I would call Acme or OJ and discuss what you're looking for and they should be able to recommend the right prop for you.

-Chris

Sorry, did not realize he was using a DD :blush: regardless, call Nettle Props he will be able to get you going in the right direction. They are really great to deal with.

There are also any number of retailers that support this site and have just as much, if not more, knowledge than Nettle (Bakes, Peter, us maybe ;) )

Edited by skicrave

There are also any number of retailers that support this site and have just as much, if not more, knowledge at Nettle (Bakes, Peter, us maybe ;) )

:plus1: